maay23

Entering the US as a Prospective Student?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi y'all, hopefully you'll be able to help me.

My mother has applied for my greencard, but she's only getting her citizenship next year, so our lawyer said that this can take a while. The whole point of requesting my green card was so I could go to university in US. Since it can take over six years to receive my green card, my mother has talked to another lawyer that suggested that I applied for a Student Visa so I could start my studies as soon as possible.

The thing is, I still don't know which college I am going to. My stepdad (american) called the Immigration in Los Angeles and asked if I could go to the country and visit colleges to get to know the one I'd like to apply. They told him about entering the US as a Prospective Student, but since that nobody has information about it. I called the immigration in my country (Brazil) and they didn't offer any information about it. The lady in the Los Angeles Consulate said that I should fill form I-539 and wait for an interview (???)

Then searching online, I found out these about how to proceed:

Instructions

How to Change a Visa from B2 to F1

1-Declare yourself as a prospective student when entering the U.S. on your B2 visa. This will allow the immigration officer to stamp your passport with a "Prospective Student" stamp. The presence of this stamp signifies the declaration of your intent and can make your application process easier.

2-Obtain Form I-20 from the office of international student affairs at your school. This form signifies your eligibility for the F1 visa and includes information about your school, your acceptance to the school, your study schedule and your ability to pay for your education.

3- Fill out Form I-539. This is the application to change your status from a B2 to an F1 visa and asks questions about your immigration intent, your study plans and your reason for changing your status. If you did not have "Prospective Student" stamped on your visa, you will need to have a letter included with the I-539 explaining why this intent was not declared when you entered the US.

4- Gather your supporting documentation. This includes your I-20, acceptance letter to your school, proof of payment for the Student and Exchange Visitor Program fee, financial documentation used to satisfy the requirements for the I-20, photocopy of your I-94 (Arrival Record) and a copy of your current passport.

5- Submit your completed application and supporting documents to the USCIS service center listed on the I-539 instructions for your state. Applications are processed at several USCIS service centers and depend on your location.

My question is: What to do? I already have my B2 Visa valid until 2015, but I don't know how to get this stamp or if this information above is correct. Unfortunately, my time is speeding up and I'm traveling to US in September, so I need to solve this situation super fast. I plan to get there in September, send my applications in November and start college in January. Any help, please??? That would save my life and future, lol :)

Thank you in advance! :blush:

Filed: Other Timeline

What school to go to depends largely on the amount of money you can afford to spend on tuition (school fees). State Universities are much more affordable than private schools, but in any case you first would have to apply and would need to be accepted into any school (with the exception of community colleges).

Secondly, you most likely will have to pay out-of-state tuition as you are not a resident of any State of the Union yet. There is really no guideline for tuition, but figure about $200 per unit out of state, times 60 units = $12,000 plus books. I assume you will want to live with your mom, so that helps a lot. Otherwise calculate at least $1,000 per month for room and board.

Again, this is just a very vague guideline so that you understand how expensive it is to go to school in the USA. Top Ivy League schools charge $40,000 per year in tuition alone. Then you'll have your Bachelor's which unfortunately is only the first step to a career nowadays.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Depending on the school, you need to apply now to be to start in January. Pretty much only community collages will allow you to apply a month before starting and be able to get into the school.

As an international student, you may as part of the application process be asked to prove that you have enough money/assets to cover the cost of tuition (at out of state rates) as well as room and board for the semester.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Timeline

yeah I know all of these and my family already knows too. We have the money to do that, we only want to know if that status of Prospective Student is valid, if that exists. Because if not, I'll have to enter the country and try to change my status for Student there, (already discussed by our lawyers too.)

Does anyone entered as a B1/B2 and then changed to F1? Is it too complicated?

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I know all of these and my family already knows too. We have the money to do that, we only want to know if that status of Prospective Student is valid, if that exists. Because if not, I'll have to enter the country and try to change my status for Student there, (already discussed by our lawyers too.)

Does anyone entered as a B1/B2 and then changed to F1? Is it too complicated?

Thanks for the help.

Have several friends who changed their status from B1/B2 to F1. They did not have any problems at all. The international student advisor at the school you will choose should be able to help you with that. The only thing you need to remember about is that you will gain F1 status not visa. Once you change the status and you wish to travel outside of the US, you'll be required to obtain a visa stamp at the American Embassy or Consulate (and most probably it will have to be you home country embassy).

Good luck!

Green card through employment in EB2 category approved in July 2011

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Rules on change from B1/B2 have changed after 9/11 - I could be wrong but I had heard somewhere now they dont change the status in the country. You have to leave the country and apply at your home consulate for a new F1.

I could be wrong on this....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Rules on change from B1/B2 have changed after 9/11 - I could be wrong but I had heard somewhere now they dont change the status in the country. You have to leave the country and apply at your home consulate for a new F1.

I could be wrong on this....

The only 'visa' that you need to go back to your home country to get an F1 is if you enter the US on the Visa Waiver Program. You can't change status from the VWP, hence having to leave and come back. I used to work in the International Students department at a California college and we mostly had people apply that would be changing status. Most people were successful in doing so, unless they just didn't read the instructions properly.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.