Robertsj

K-1 Visa fees India

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Greetings,

This website has been a boon for us.

My fiancee will be interviewed for a K-1 fiancee visa in Mumbai on the 29th of this month. I will be flying over there to support her. [even if I am not permitted to enter the interview] I am preparing all the documents, etc, from my side to take along. She has all hers in order with her.

I have 2 Questions:

First,

Is the total fee for her application $400? I am confused. I am attaching the link for the table of fees.

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivfees.html

It looks like there might be other fees to add to that amount? There is no legend to each amount listed...e.g., do we pay the IV processing fee too? In addition to the K visa application? I already paid the fee for the petition over here in the States.

Secondly,

I thought we are supposed to deposit the packet of all documents, etc., at the american consulate at least a week in advance, but I am reading on this website that some people are taking some ??portion of their packet with them on the day of the interview. Can you help clarify that?

Thanking you in advance!

Robert ----My email is robjerskey@yahoo.com

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for your prompt response, payxibka! When you write "YMMV", I take it you are not certain and that there might be other fees? That is why I am asking for help, so we don;t come up short that day...

You are reading too much into YMMV... while each consulate is different.... the other fees would be possibly a courier delivery fee

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You are reading too much into YMMV... while each consulate is different.... the other fees would be possibly a courier delivery fee

when i dealt with the consulate there you had to use a courier service its listed on their web site what one and your better off to give them as many as the documents and proof that they will allow other wise you get that not so wonderful paper asking for the items you brought with you to the interview but they make you send them to them thru the courier service after the interview.....

sara

I appreciate that Sarah. We will be delivering all the items in the packet for the interview a week in advance, e.g., I-134 and other forms, medical exam results, police certificates, copies of my bank statement, pay stubs, etc.. so we should not need to use a courier service. In which case, as Payxibka replied [thanks again] its only the $350 fee.

Anyone else who can corroborate that?

Thank you, Sarah!

Edited by Robertsj

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Robert,

My fiance just went through the K-1 visa interview on June 14th at Mumbai, so we are quite familiar with the process.

About 7 - 10 days prior to the interview, have your fiance turn in all her documents at the nearest VFS office. They have a checklist they run through, take the papers from you, give you a receipt for everything they have taken, and ask you to bring any missing documents to the interview. Very stress-free. They charge Rs. 387 courier fee (to get the passport and visa returned to you after the interview), and try to push "lounge access" -- Rs. 250/person. Could be good if you need to store stuff in their lockers, but, if not, standing in line outside the consulate is not too bad.

At the interview, they will collect Rs. 16800 ($350) bank draft. That is it. The "IV" fees listed are "Immigrant Visa" fees, and the K-1 is a NON-immigrant visa. Those fees do not apply to us.

Good luck, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Blue

7/10/2009 -- Proposed!

10/23/2009 -- Mailed I-129F to VSC

10/26/2009 -- VSC Received

10/27/2009 -- NOA1

10/29/2009 -- Check Cashed

03/04/2010 -- NOA2

03/11/2010 -- Left NVC

03/15/2010 -- Mumbai Consulate Received and Mailed Packet 3 (never received)

04/14/2010 -- Returned Packet 3 to Mumbai

04/22/2010 -- Mumbai Mailed Packet 4

05/01/2010 -- Received Packet 4 from Mumbai (why is it so outdated?!)

06/14/2010 -- Interview -- ***APPROVED!!!***

07/22/2010 -- POE @ Washington, DC

Dear Blue,

Very good to find your most encouraging email waiting for me upon arrival in Kolkata from LAX today. Tomorrow I fly out to Mumbai to meet with my fiancee. Yes, we will be dropping off the packet on tuesday, a week in advance of the interview on the 29th.

I wonder if I include photos of us and friends visiting together the past couple yrs in the packet, or would she take them and copies of our correspondences on the day of the interview? Sounds like she will have the word on all that when she goes through the checklist at the VHS office on tuesday.

I am cc ing your email/my response to Aruno. Many thanks for your very helpful and re assuring email!

Robert

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.