Fandango

British Bun in the Oven

1,114 posts in this topic

Spoke too soon, girls- as soon as I hit 6 weeks, the sickness began. :lol:

Just feeling seasick constantly, so have to eat every 3 hours.

Oh no! Well, at least you have the reassurance that accompanies feeling awful! I hope it doesn't last long.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I felt like that, too, Gemmie. I used Seabands to help counter the nausea. They are stretchy wrist bands that have little buttons that apply pressure to a certain part of your wrist. I didn't feel 100%, but I didn't feel as bad as I did without them. :)

Empress - great news about your sister! I hope the good news continues!

I, too, am THRILLED about your sister's ultrasound, Empress. Yippee!!!!!!! :dance:

Empress, I'll be waiting for an update from you as well. No change in my on-again-off-again discussions with the BF about reproducing. I know to some extent it's me holding things back -- it's embarrassing to relate, but I am still married to my ex, the one I've been split from for over three years. The ex and I have been lazy, and poor, and poor and lazy, and now just lazy. I have a distinct feeling that if I did file and get things underway, it would be easier on my entire relationship with the BF, not just in regards to whether or not we have kids. It's just every time I bring it up, the ex gets sad and there are buckets of tears about how flippin' sad our breakup was. And yes, I know he is not the man in my life any more, and I need to respect the needs of my partner and not my ex, but I am a softy. I think I need to put my big girl pants on though and deal with it. helpsmilie.gif

Sorry for the hijack. I just needed to get that off my chest!

I agree with the others - it's not a pleasant process, but getting a divorce is really the only way you and your BF are going to be able to move forward and focus on your life together. It isn't 'cruel' to divorce your ex - it's a process that allows you both to get on with your lives.

Tracy, I love the sound of the Mirena. I've never gotten one because I always knew I wanted a baby in the near future, but would definitely go for it in the future. I teach about birth control for my job, and it's one of the methods that has the least unpleasant side effects.

The reason I asked about telling your boss... there's a sticky situation at work. One of my coworkers recently took a State job as a Therapist and lied in the application, saying she had a degree when she didn't. I went along for the training just in case they needed someone to do extra hours. Well they just busted her lie when she was unable to produce transcripts, and forced her to resign. She said that I will most likely walk into the position as I have the qualifications and am already trained. Thing is, I wouldn't be entitled to a Leave of Absence when I have baby as they require you to be there for a year. So it looks like I would have to tell them about the pregnancy due to that. And then I'm hesitant to tell them I'm pregnant in case they tell my current boss (before I'm 'in the safe zone'). The bosses are all inter-connected. So you see it's a mess. :lol: It's a real big shame though because this job pays a LOT better and has better benefits.

Yeah - I'm so pleased with the Mirena. I was tired of and leery of the long term effects of the hormones in the pill, so I got Mirena when Emily was 8 months old. Mirena does have a low dose hormone, but it is localized to the lady parts (lol) and have had no effect on my mood, no hormonal headaches, etc. like I had with the pill. And if we did want to have another, I have it removed and can start trying for another baby right away. Not that this is going to happen. :lol:

Hmm - that's a tricky one about the boss/job. What sort of vacation or sick time would you have stored up by the time you give birth? They don't offer any sort of maternal leave? :(

I'm SO sorry to read the sickness has started for you. Honestly nothing helped mine - I just had to have my morning barf in the shower and go on with life. Some suggested it was from my overnight empty stomach, but if I tried eating or drinking anything as soon as I got up - same result except then I was tasting what I just ingested (I know - ewww! LOL). So I just dealt with it. :lol: I have heard good things about those sea bands too, as well as the 'normal' nausea remedies (ginger ale, peppermint tea or even a peppermint candy, etc) but again - they were all of no help to me.

I LOVE that we're having 'lurkers' in the thread that are now revealing themselves. :D Welcome all!

SA4userbar.jpg

There isn't an official 'maternity leave', just a 'Leave of Absense for Medical Reason' and they include birth of a child in that. It's 16 weeks unpaid, so we're hoping we can get by on savings. My coworker said when she had her baby a couple years ago, they only gave her 6-8 weeks, but because she had been there for so long, she applied for an extension and they gave her the full 16 unpaid. It's terrible in comparison to the UK where I could take off 9 months to a year, paid. But my husband tells me to stop comparing them, it is what it is.

I will look into those wrist-bands, thank you! I did try the ginger cookie thing but the aftertaste made me feel worse. I found sipping lemonade and nibbling plain potato chips helps. Anyway it's actually disappeared as of yesterday (after just 4 and a half days of nausea). I know you will think I'm crazy, but I actually am comforted by it (as it means my hormones are on the rise), so I hope it comes back. :lol:

I see. I ended up with nearly 3 months off paid leave when I had Emily, but my current employer is not quite as generous - so I'm glad I had her when I did. Here you only get 2 weeks off paid leave after your medical leave is up (which would normally total about 8 weeks off). But they do also offer some paid parental leave for fathers so that is nice. I am just baffled by the time off mothers get after having a baby in the UK (I hear Canada is also good that way). Why we aren't the same here is really frustrating, esp. for those like you who only have unpaid leave as an option. :(

It sounds to me like you have a very viable pregnancy - enjoy the not sick days while you can! :)

I am currently trying not to be pissed at our neighbors, who have the flu in their home already (early I know!) and yet invited my husband over last night. He went because they told him things were better - now the last two of them have it. Aaargh! I managed to find a flu shot for myself at a clinic nearby but Emily's pediatrician isn't doing them yet - and we leave for vacation next week. Unless all of us get the flu that is. Geez!!! Sorry for the off topic but I am just so pissed. They should not have invited anyone over until they were sure they were all clear.

SA4userbar.jpg

Hi - me again. Mostly lurker - sometime poster. I always seem to miss this thread. I think I get diverted too much by the drama in some of the other forums (better than a soap opera)

Exciting to have new UK/US babies on the way and pleased to see how well everyone is getting on.

Little G has her first day at pre-school tomorrow (I say day - it's 2 hours, twice a week) I'm really looking forward to some 'me' time. First real opportunity in two years! Hubby asked me if I was going to do chores and stuff - what? No way mister. Coffee and cake with some of the other mothers this time. And next week I am already planning going to the gym and swimming.

I should use the chance to catch up with some work - I work from home while looking after G and it's getting harder to concentrate. Maybe the following week I'll do that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi - me again. Mostly lurker - sometime poster. I always seem to miss this thread. I think I get diverted too much by the drama in some of the other forums (better than a soap opera)

Exciting to have new UK/US babies on the way and pleased to see how well everyone is getting on.

Little G has her first day at pre-school tomorrow (I say day - it's 2 hours, twice a week) I'm really looking forward to some 'me' time. First real opportunity in two years! Hubby asked me if I was going to do chores and stuff - what? No way mister. Coffee and cake with some of the other mothers this time. And next week I am already planning going to the gym and swimming.

I should use the chance to catch up with some work - I work from home while looking after G and it's getting harder to concentrate. Maybe the following week I'll do that.

hahahahaha, my husband gets so pissed when the house is a mess. I work part-time and take half a full course load every semester. It shouldn't matter that he makes bank and I make peanuts. I shouldn't be the ONLY one that gets things taken care of around here, but I am. When we go visit his parents next week I really hope he steps out of line in front of them and his dad puts him in his place.

btw, 15 weeks tomorrow. The 12 week ultrasound was very promising, might get the anatomy scan at about 18 or 19 when we get back. Thinking of not finding out the gender this time either. Harder with a winter baby in a harsh climate though.

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

BOTH spouses should help out around the house. It's a partnership, not a competition about who does more. That would irritate me something chronic!

We really enjoyed not knowing the gender. It gave my husband a nice moment after she was born where he could go into the waiting room and announce 'It's a girl!' to our collected friends and family. :)

SA4userbar.jpg

So my ultrasound is tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Someone from the office called me to let me know about costs- there is a $500 deductible. I'm just confused about when the bills come in. She said it's after delivery, but then she also said they will start coming in soon and to let her know if I need a payment plan. I guess I'll have to clarify that. I didn't even think there would be a deductible. She told me I'm very lucky as she tells most people they have to pay the first $3,500. :hehe:

Unfortunately I've been really ill, someone at work gave me a cold and there's nothing I can take for it so feeling sorry for myself in bed with a headache/congested head/completely out of it.

So my ultrasound is tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Someone from the office called me to let me know about costs- there is a $500 deductible. I'm just confused about when the bills come in. She said it's after delivery, but then she also said they will start coming in soon and to let her know if I need a payment plan. I guess I'll have to clarify that. I didn't even think there would be a deductible. She told me I'm very lucky as she tells most people they have to pay the first $3,500. :hehe:

Unfortunately I've been really ill, someone at work gave me a cold and there's nothing I can take for it so feeling sorry for myself in bed with a headache/congested head/completely out of it.

I hope everything goes well at your appointment tomorrow! :star:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Yeah let us know Gemmie! :) I can report that I had a cold when I was PG and it was the most horrible I have ever felt with a cold. UGH!! I hope you feel a lot better really soon. It sucks that all you can really take is Mucinex...!

Insurance confuses me too. Sometimes I feel like all ours does is gives us some kind of 'discount' on what we end up paying out of pocket. The insurance I had now versus the one I had when I had Emily - no comparisons. This one sucks. LOL

SA4userbar.jpg

Did not know this thread existed, but here to announce that we too have a Brit "bun in the oven"!

Just passed 20 weeks today and been through nausea hell for 14 weeks :(. The doctor keeps telling us that as long as mum is sick, baby is fine. Well baby must REALLY be healthy then! Thankfully though, we think we are finally coming out of that phase (we hope!!!).

Our ultrasound at 17 weeks revealed that we are - without a shadow of a doubt - having a boy! :yes:

Due date is Jan 30 and with everything else, we are still waiting on our I-751 approval as we got an RFE (ugh). Response due any day now. Complicating things further, we decided the house we were in was too large, so we entered a contract back in July to build a smaller house. Problems with the permits though means that the new house won't be ready now till early Feb weather permitting - right when baby is due. And further still, we ended up selling out existing house too fast (19 days) and now we have to move into an apartment.

I, as Daddy to be, am trying to balance all this so that mom to be doesn't stress, but I think I'll have earned every single grey hair I'll get from this.

K-1 - I-129F

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, England

• 18 May 2009: Interview - **APPROVED** (213 Days)

AOS - I-485

Field Office: Memphis, TN

• 15 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 131 Days!

EAD - I-765

• 02 Dec 2009: **APPROVED!!** 141 Days (recommend do NOT e-file)

ROC - I-781

• 07 Nov 2011: Package mailed to VSC (USPS Express mail)
  • 08 Nov 2011: Package received at VSC
  • 09 Nov 2011 - NOA1
  • 13 Jan 2012 - Biometrics appointment
  • 24 Aug 2012 - RFE (bummed!!!)
  • 13 Sep 2012 - **APPROVED!!**
  • 24 Sep 2012 - Card received

Congratulations on your healthy little boy! :) Nice to have some new babies cooking in this thread. Sorry to hear she's been so unwell. I hope it dying down a bit now means she can have a break.

So I just got back from my ultrasound and everything is good! Saw the baby straight away where it should be, and it has a heartbeat of 160bpm which she said was bang in the middle of the normal range. :thumbs: My husband was holding my hand the whole time as I was so nervous, and I actually cried when I saw my little gummy bear on the screen- was just so emotional, I never expected to do that. I asked if everything looked normal and she said she's not a doctor so can't comment, but on the quiet, "nothing looks drastic". She gave us two pictures to take home. And the ultrasound itself really wasn't that bad. Just uncomfortable when she moved around in there. I go back on Monday to meet my midwife and have the first full prenatal visit.

Congratulations on your healthy little boy! :) Nice to have some new babies cooking in this thread. Sorry to hear she's been so unwell. I hope it dying down a bit now means she can have a break.

So I just got back from my ultrasound and everything is good! Saw the baby straight away where it should be, and it has a heartbeat of 160bpm which she said was bang in the middle of the normal range. :thumbs: My husband was holding my hand the whole time as I was so nervous, and I actually cried when I saw my little gummy bear on the screen- was just so emotional, I never expected to do that. I asked if everything looked normal and she said she's not a doctor so can't comment, but on the quiet, "nothing looks drastic". She gave us two pictures to take home. And the ultrasound itself really wasn't that bad. Just uncomfortable when she moved around in there. I go back on Monday to meet my midwife and have the first full prenatal visit.

ETA: Oh, and I'm measuring 8 weeks tomorrow, so I'm a few days further than I realised.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.