Fandango

British Bun in the Oven

1,114 posts in this topic

I am SO EXCITED AND SO NERVOUS about the scan this afternoon, my heart is racing.

Baby's kicks are especially big when eating garlic bread... go figure. :thumbs:

What's the update on the other babies? How is your sister doing, Empress??

Edited by Gemmie

Poor Maven. :( There is nothing worse than still being forced to be connected to an ex. I couldn't get unconnected from mine fast enough. Did you talk to your mom yet?

Gemmie - so - boy or girl??!! :D :D

SA4userbar.jpg

Thanks, ladies. I'm a big chicken so of course I haven't spoken to my mom about it. I'm planning on it this week, because I really, REALLY want to have the papers signed off before Christmas. Speaking of which, I just booked my tickets home to leave on Christmas Eve. :D It's my first trip back east in two years, and my first Xmas in Connecticut since 2007. So excited! And I am bringing my awesome and amazing BF back with me to meet the family. I guess we're really in it for the long haul. tongue.gif

And Gemmie -- update please!star_smile.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

It's a BOY!! :thumbs:

The ultrasound was disappointing, the tech didn't let me see the screen and stayed silent the whole time. Then at the end, she had me roll around as baby had his legs crossed. She then casually just said "it's a boy"- we were like what?? We expected her to walk us through and do some kind of fun reveal. She then finally let me see the screen, showed me the #######, heart, bladder, hands/feet, profile, and then we were rushed away with some photos. Bummer! But I have to go back for another one this weekend as she missed part of the spine, and I will ask to see the baby this time.

The midwife notified me that the baby has a white spot on his heart. I almost died. But then she said it's ONLY a soft marker for Down's Syndrome, and my other tests came back negative, and my risk level was 1 in 50,000! So she said it's virtually no risk, and the baby won't have any heart problems.

Maven, it will be awesome if you get that done and dusted for the start of 2013. :)

Congratulations - a boy!! :) :) You would think the ultrasound tech could have made it a LITTLE more exciting than that - geez! But ultimately it doesn't matter of course. How did the family take the news? :)

SA4userbar.jpg

Bahhhh... my dad said "I thought you already knew ages ago and you said it was a girl" followed by "I would've liked a girl to be honest, I already have two grandsons, but never mind, always the future". Did that make me feel all glow-ey inside? :no: He hasn't even spoken to me about the baby since we told him 2 months ago. My brother just sent a message with "congrats on your son". I really don't have any support from my family anyway, so it's not a huge shock that they are so blunt and uninvolved. It does upset me at times though.

We made a cake as a surprise for my hubby's family since they didn't know we were having a scan. They were happy (although again, MIL said she would have liked a girl as it would be different).

Bill and I both would have liked a girl, but we are happy regardless. I was beaming when I was told how healthy he is.

There was some drama when the in-laws assumed that they would be at the hospital during labour and delivery. Not. Happening. I've since made it very clear to my husband that I'm having them nowhere near, they can wait by the phone until we invite them over. I'm already feeling overwhelmed with the idea of giving birth, breastfeeding, bonding, recovering, and would like at least a couple of hours to adjust before having visitors. He was shocked at first since he always assumed his parents would be standing by and meet him ASAP, but we've sorted it now- or should I say 'I am not changing my mind' and he understands. :lol:

:( I'm sorry your family wasn't more excited and stuff - but I remember you telling us a little about the family dynamics before so - I guess you weren't too surprised. But still - it's kind of a bummer anyway.

I don't think I could have tolerated my MIL in my face after I had Emily (moreso, during labor!!), but I probably wouldn't have had the balls to say that - so kudos to you! This experience should be what YOU want it to be so I'm glad you're standing up for yourself. :) And that Bill is supporting you too.

SA4userbar.jpg

Yay for Gemmie, Bill and Baby! biggrin.gif Glad to hear all is well with you and your peanut, and that you've got Bill on your side in dealing with his mother. I swear, one of the reasons I never had children with my ex was being scared that his mother would be my child's grandmother FOREVER. *shiver* tongue.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Hi, ladies

I hope everyone is well! I've been checking this thread but haven't had a whole lotta time to post since I started a new job about six weeks ago (which is going well, by the way!). Gemmie, congrats on your little boy! How exciting! It sounds like the ultrasound tech could use a little personality jolt, geez! Ours very casually mentioned that it was a girl before adding "it's a girl!" to the image, with a little arrow pointing to the appropriate location. Jon actually missed it when she said it. She was nice, though, and had a dry sense of humor that became apparent as we went along. Still, it wasn't a shrieky moment, although I guess they're used to people going nuts (in a good way, I hope!) when they find out. And good for you re: in-laws! There's no way in hell I'd have allowed that, but fortunately my in-laws wouldn't have even thought to suggest such a thing. Speaking of in-laws, my MIL was here for 10 days over Thanksgiving and just left yesterday. Man, our place felt really small during her visit! But Madeleine loved having "nanny" here, and Jon and I even got to see two movies! We hadn't been to the movies for 18 months and saw Skyfall (rowr!) and Argo (groovy!) in the same week.

So, Mad-Ag is a big bad two-year-old! Here's her recent school pic, serious as ever!

8228067823_442746b18e.jpg

Dizzy, I hope all is well with you, and I love the pics! The train one is awesome. :star:

Maven, I'm going to be a pushy broad here and say, do whatever you have to do to get the divorce over and done with. Bust outta your comfort zone, blow past the burn, etc. etc. And then try for a baby with your dude too. Because they're fun and cute, if maddening and all that, etc. etc. Babies and dudes, that is.

Tracy, we need a recent pic of Em! I can be MIA for weeks and then make demands, right?

Madeleine is doing well and is talking up a storm. Just in the past couple of weeks, her vocabulary and pronunciation have really improved. The gem of the past week or so: There was some..er...indication that she had a poopy situation (we haven't started potty training yet). I said, "Do you have poopy"? and she said, quite casually, "Is jus gas." I couldn't have been prouder! Also, we're going to convert the crib to a toddler bed this weekend because she can now very easily climb out of it. She's only done it once, a few months ago during naptime (she's napped on a travel mattress on the floor ever since), and there was the expected thud and hysterical crying for about 20 minutes. But now she can swing her leg over the end of the crib--the headboard, if you will, which is higher than the rails on the side--and quite easily fall right out. I'd wanted to keep her in the crib as long as possible, but now I'm worried she'll hurt herself. So, this weekend, we'll work on strapping furniture to walls and all that. I have no idea how it will all go, but I'm hopeful that it won't be a sleeping catastrophe.

As for my sis, so far so good! And...drumroll please...it's a boy! I'm very excited. I would have been either way, but I already have a niece and a daughter, so a little boy in the family will be great. My sister is feeling a lot better and starting to show. All the tests so far have been good. I'm so excited for them and can't wait to meet the little guy.

So, that's what's goin' on!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Aww - I always love pictures of Mad-Ag! Serious is right - but cute as a button too! :D We loved Skyfall too - glad that you had 'nanny' there to babysit so you and Jon could get out a little. I swear, that is SO necessary for your sanity. My niece has started babysitting to make a little $ so I believe we will be employing her sooner rather than later. We love dinner and a movie - our favorite kind of date. :)

I am SO excited that your sister is having a boy :D and that all seems to be going well so far with the pregnancy. How exciting for all of you!

Here's a picture of Emily sitting with a friend of mine, scrounging her smart phone of course (she can unlock mine with ease and navigate from app to app - frighting really). Sorry it's not a better picture but I realized this is the best I have on my work computer. LOL It was taken about two weeks ago.

Sadly, she has really no interest in potty training yet. She will tell us when she has pooped, but hasn't made that step in logic yet to 'I need to poop - put me on the potty'. We haven't been trying TOO hard either though - will probably pick that up after the first of the year. My sister said her daughter (who was fast at everything) had no real interest in it - and couldn't 'grasp' it - until she was at least 2 1/2, so I'm not that surprised (or concerned). We're likely going to start her in a two day a week preschool in August, so she'll need to be potty trained by then at least.

She is also still in her crib instead of a toddler bed! LOL She does so well in the crib that we've been in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mode. She has never climbed out of it, and climbed into it once (last night!) to get a stuffed animal. We have a friend with a 3 1/2 year old son who just made the transition so we don't feel so bad. But Mad-Ag is making me think we are behind!! Eeek!! That said, it sounds like she's forced your hand a little bit. I will be very curious to see how it goes - so keep us informed.

post-3464-0-62471500-1354201640_thumb.jpg

SA4userbar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm the thread killa! :lol:

That's usually me on VJ.

I am back in the UK for an extended time because of some very sad news. My Mum has terminal cancer and we don't know how long she has left but probably months rather than years. I came back to do some hands on nursing and give her some time with my little girl.

It's very sad but we are plodding on and trying to just do the best we can under the circumstances. Missing the husband a lot although distance does make the heart grow fonder - our emails are all playful and romantic again like they were when we were first doing our long distance relationship. Georgie is enrolled in a UK preschool twice a week to give me a little break and to solidify that English accent. Apparently we both sound very different on Skype after only a month back here.

Weirdly it feels so nice to be driving on the 'right' side of the road again and so relaxing driving around streets and areas I know well and grew up in. Feeling worryingly comfortable back here - might be a wrench to leave it all again. Still unsure what to do after Christmas - wait it out until the end? What if that's 9 months away? Fly back and forth every 2 months? Very hard situation and I knew it was coming when I emigrated but thought we had more time to think about it.

Wow - if that isn't a depressing thread killer I don't know what is! Here's a pic of my little one on the beach opposite my parents' house to lighten the mood. Just bought her first wellies.

64629_10151337303644283_1845124690_n.jpg

I am SO very sorry to hear about your mom, Lynne. I have a Brit friend here whose mom is also facing terminal cancer, and she is debating hard over what to do. Her brother is still there so I think that's the only reason she isn't going back for now. Just no easy choices with something like this. It's good that she can spend time with Georgie though, but I'm sure the separation is still kind of hard for you as a family. But - you do what you have to do. And Georgie getting a little of her UK culture isn't a bad thing either. :)

I can't see a picture for some reason. :( And little kids in wellies are about the cutest thing! LOL

SA4userbar.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.