meredith pa

can you bring your expired passaport or you need to also renew it and bring both?

6 posts in this topic

Hi

If you apply for citizenship, I know at some point you need to show your

passaport, correct? I guess they want to see how many times you left USA.

What if you didn't left, didn't go back to your country to visit,

so you still have your passaport but is expired....

Do you have to renew that passport for the interview and bring both expired and

new passport to the interview if you apply for citizenship?

I'm asking becasue I'm trying to understand what 'valid passport" means.

thanks

Permanent resident with10 year greencard 

Hi

If you apply for citizenship, I know at some point you need to show your

passaport, correct? I guess they want to see how many times you left USA.

What if you didn't left, didn't go back to your country to visit,

so you still have your passaport but is expired....

Do you have to renew that passport for the interview and bring both expired and

new passport to the interview if you apply for citizenship?

I'm asking becasue I'm trying to understand what 'valid passport" means.

thanks

Hi,

You don't need a valid passport, but you are correct... you need to bring your passport with you only if the IO asks to verify the dates you entered in your N-400 form.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Okay

so that means for sure....if you only have that only passaport, and expired, is not a problem....

just means you came here to the US but never left...

Im wondering if some fillers had this experience ...

Meredith

Hi,

You don't need a valid passport, but you are correct... you need to bring your passport with you only if the IO asks to verify the dates you entered in your N-400 form.

Permanent resident with10 year greencard 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Okay

so that means for sure....if you only have that only passaport, and expired, is not a problem....

Meredith

No law that requires you to maintain a foreign passport while you are here as a LPR. And unlike the AOS stage, you are NOT even required to send in a copy of your passport with your N-400 application. Just bring your expired passport with you for your interview, USCIS seems to forget you went through their AOS stage and shows proof you entered this country legally, plus they may want to look at it to verify any trips you made outside of the USA that lasted over 24 hours.

Just bring your expired passport with you for your interview, you will be fine. If you didn't make any trips, just type in None in your application.

It's really a huge pain in the butt to try to maintain a foreign passport in this country, especially when there are only one or two consulates in the entire country and they want you to show up in person. Then they ask you why you want a foreign passport for your home country when you are living here.

Okay

Meredith

Hi Meredith - correct... I also will be in the same situation when I apply for naturalization. My story is a long one, but the end result is I will appear at the interview without a valid passport and all my trips are on the expired one...

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

All of these people are correct. You do not need a passport you do not have, because without a current passport you could not have left the USA and came back. That's ALL what the passport thing is about at this stage: confirming the travel dates you listed in your N-400 application. If you list "none" and you don't have a passport that would have allowed you to travel, that makes sense, agreed?

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.