dc_cl

TN to greencard AOS - A few basic Qs

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have been in the US since November 2009 on a TN visa. My girlfriend and I are thinking about marriage and an AOS to greencard and I would really appreciate a little help to understand some of the details of the process. I have a few basic questions on issues that I haven't been able to completely decipher on my own:

1) Are there restrictions on which office I should send my package to? As a NYC resident, where should I send it?

2) Where will the interview take place?

3) Is there anything I have to do as far as biometrics go, prior to filing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have been in the US since November 2009 on a TN visa. My girlfriend and I are thinking about marriage and an AOS to greencard and I would really appreciate a little help to understand some of the details of the process. I have a few basic questions on issues that I haven't been able to completely decipher on my own:

1) Are there restrictions on which office I should send my package to? As a NYC resident, where should I send it?

Thanks!

Read the guides... click the tab on the top of every page. You would submit the I-130 & I-485 concurrently

interview would occur at your local USCIS field office

no biometrics needed before you file, they will send you a notice when they want biometrics taken

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

As Payxibka said, follow the guide for marriage when both spouses are inside the USA

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

You can follow this guide for the most part.

You can continue to work using your Tn status until you get the EAD. For this reason I would reccomend you apply at least 3 months before your Tn expires. If your Tn expires and you haven't got your EAD in hand you would have to take a leave of abscence from any employment. Not sure if that's an important part for you but it was for me so I thought I would let you know.

Also just a note of caution, if this is a longtime girfiend that you knew before getting the Tn, make sure there is nothing that would make it look like you entered on a Tn with the intent to get married. As with most non immigrant visas, there should never be any preconceived immigrant intent when entering the US with a Tn.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Timeline

As Payxibka said, follow the guide for marriage when both spouses are inside the USA

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

You can follow this guide for the most part.

You can continue to work using your Tn status until you get the EAD. For this reason I would reccomend you apply at least 3 months before your Tn expires. If your Tn expires and you haven't got your EAD in hand you would have to take a leave of abscence from any employment. Not sure if that's an important part for you but it was for me so I thought I would let you know.

Also just a note of caution, if this is a longtime girfiend that you knew before getting the Tn, make sure there is nothing that would make it look like you entered on a Tn with the intent to get married. As with most non immigrant visas, there should never be any preconceived immigrant intent when entering the US with a Tn.

Many thanks to both for your responses!

We knew each other before I got the TN, but I did not enter the US or get the TN with the intent to get married. Will this be an issue during the interview?

Looking at the processing time for the New York City field office, it seems that there will be a significant time period for processing (at least 8 months, if I understand correctly). I am wondering if it is a valid option to send the forms to another field office with a shorter wait. Also, can I expect that it will take longer to receive the EAD? Apologies if I am asking questions that have been answered somewhere else. I have spent a good deal of time looking at this site and reading through existing messages. But I still don't feel like I understand this part of the process.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.