ttp

Any quick tips on interview preparation?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What type of questions should one expect? I've read some threads where only a handful of questions were asked, and others where the interview lasted a long time.

Should I send my wife anything from over here, such as a copy of the I-864 and DS-230? An addendum to my original timeline? More photos and phone records?

I'm trying to compile more evidence for her to bring to the interview. I've already frontloaded a Timeline, photos and phone records as part of my original application to the USCIS.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Timeline

What type of questions should one expect? I've read some threads where only a handful of questions were asked, and others where the interview lasted a long time.

Should I send my wife anything from over here, such as a copy of the I-864 and DS-230? An addendum to my original timeline? More photos and phone records?

I'm trying to compile more evidence for her to bring to the interview. I've already frontloaded a Timeline, photos and phone records as part of my original application to the USCIS.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Expect questions that would be about you, your personal life, your relationship with her, your friends , your family, pets, cars, house(s), your free time, your hobbies, ect. Anything is fair game.

Tuyen got asked what my friends did for work. People have been asked about their love life. You should prepare her for anything.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

one simple thing

all raw facts that you have written on your forms, give the same answer when asked about them during the interview, be consistent

best of luck to you and your wife

Questions at the HCMC consulate can be very far from simple... limiting the info that the applicant expects to be questioned about to the docs submitted is very bad advice IMO.. That is the starting point... as every applicant should have a thorough understanding of the docs submitted...

There is a list of a couple hundred question posted somewhere here... Thuy was asked 90% of them in the hour plus interview... If she says you go fishing in your spare time .. she couldlikely be asked where you fish, in a boat? with who? How do you know them? How often do you fish? What is the biggest fish you caught? salt water or fresh? This may sound absurd, but it is not unheard of when it comes to HCMC...

And dont be surprised if they ask when the first time you made love... where....

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Questions at the HCMC consulate can be very far from simple... limiting the info that the applicant expects to be questioned about to the docs submitted is very bad advice IMO.. That is the starting point... as every applicant should have a thorough understanding of the docs submitted...

There is a list of a couple hundred question posted somewhere here... Thuy was asked 90% of them in the hour plus interview... If she says you go fishing in your spare time .. she couldlikely be asked where you fish, in a boat? with who? How do you know them? How often do you fish? What is the biggest fish you caught? salt water or fresh? This may sound absurd, but it is not unheard of when it comes to HCMC...

And dont be surprised if they ask when the first time you made love... where....

Thanks everyone. I remember reading that thread with the questions (i remember the fishing questions). I'll hunt the thread down when I get the time. If someone has it at hand, I'd appreciate the link.

I am going through my timeline with my wife, to mark all the important things.

Another question: How do they know whether the answers are correct, such as with the fishing questions? Also, some things just aren't really discussed in everyday conversation. So could a "We've never talked about this/that" answer be appropriate? With some of the questions I remember reading, it just seems that the CO is just questioning until you fail to answer (and it would seem that you never really had a chance to begin with).

Also, I've prepped my wife for some of the more "personal" questions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks everyone. I remember reading that thread with the questions (i remember the fishing questions). I'll hunt the thread down when I get the time. If someone has it at hand, I'd appreciate the link.

I am going through my timeline with my wife, to mark all the important things.

Another question: How do they know whether the answers are correct, such as with the fishing questions? Also, some things just aren't really discussed in everyday conversation. So could a "We've never talked about this/that" answer be appropriate? With some of the questions I remember reading, it just seems that the CO is just questioning until you fail to answer (and it would seem that you never really had a chance to begin with).

Also, I've prepped my wife for some of the more "personal" questions.

Generally speaking, they won't know the answers unless you've given them the answers in the documents you've submitted. An exception is that they will know anything that could be found out in a background check or public records search. For example, none of the required forms ask you to specify if you own your home (unless you happen to list it on the I-134), or your tenant history, or if you've had any insurance claims in the past few years, or what kind of car you own. However, that information is available in a background check.

I have a slightly different opinion on this subject than some other members. I feel that if your fiancee is subjected to a long and grueling interview then she's not going to be walking out of the consulate with a pink slip. At best, she'll get a blue slip. I agree 100% that a long interview means they are just drilling her until she slips so that they can deny the visa. Who do you go fishing with??? There's no possible way the CO is going to know the answer to that question, but if your fiancee says she doesn't know then they've got her - beneficiary doesn't know much about the personal life of the petitioner - relationship is a sham for the purpose of evading immigration law. Denied.

Similarly, if the interview degrades to the point where they are asking questions about your sex life then the interview is already a failure - she's not getting a visa. I had a heated debate with Mr. Nam about this. There is no requirement that a couple engaged to be married has to have sex, and certainly no requirement that they have to discuss it with a consular officer. In the end, I told Phuong to refuse to answer any questions that were too personal, and reminded her that she has the absolute right to walk out of the interview at any time. There's nothing lost at that point because the interview is already a failure. Whether she stayed or left, we'd have to deal with the returned petition and refiling. There's no point in humiliating herself.

I suppose if you can outlast the CO without slipping up then you might have a chance of him issuing the visa just to get rid of you. I don't think "we never talked about that" is really any different than "I don't know", and I think "I don't know" is precisely the answer they're looking for when they are determined to deny. I think almost ANY answer would be better than "I don't know". It doesn't have to be a precise answer, as long as she remembers the answer she gave and consistently gives the same answer each time she's asked.

"Who does your fiance go fishing with?"

"His fishing buddies."

"What are their names?"

"He just calls them his fishing buddies."

"He never told you their names?"

"No, but he sent me a picture of him with a fish he caught. Wanna see it?"

"No, let's just move on."

:whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

When they asked about our neighborhood Thuy said she had a photo of the house they dropped that avenue and went another... As Jim said.. anything more than a half dozen questions will likely be a blue slip or a denial...

In some respects I think Thuy was too well versed in my life... The CO got really frustrated when she knew answers that they expected her not to... we talk about everything when we talk every day... so her knowing so much was a given.. knowing every answer may not be a good thing.... I dont think some "we never talked about the names of who he fishes with... Or the "I have a photo wanna see?" are great alternatives...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

She ought to have copies and originals/certified copies of everything submitted. Copies that can be kept by the CO if needed and originals for the CO to inspect. It would be a shame if your case was delayed while a lost/missing document was being obtained from the US.

Depending on when your timeline ended, including any pertinent information may be helpful. If you've been there to visit since you submitted your petition then information about that trip ought to be in your spouse's files at the interview.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Thanks. I did make another trip last winter, so I think I'll update my timeline. I'll also make copies of the DS-230 and I-864, as well as more recent phone logs, yahoo chat, and more photographs.

I figure honesty is the best way to go. I'll make sure to describe to my wife my few close friends, hometown, neighborhood, that sort of thing.

I guess you can only prepare so much. Unfortunately, the interview is completely out of our hands and up to the CO.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Jim is 100% right if they are asking you silly questions then they are looking for any slip up to deny. I highly suggest you write each other 1 a week this is important. KEEP the envelopes it shows postage to and from US to Vietnam, you want to go to the interview with 30 envelopes from him to you and 30 from you to him. This is the best written evidence of communicating there is. You can go to the US consulate and watch the people coming out when they have an interview and ask them what was asked and you will see all kinds of dumb reasons for denial. Please treat this interview like it is a trial for your life and you need to have overwhelming evidence of your relationship.

Timeline

We don't have any mailed letters/envelopes, but there is a lot of text messages, phone calls, yahoo chat and video conferencing. I've got copies of my ticket stubs, plenty of photographs, and a decent number of emails, from both myself and my mother and aunt to my wife.

Hopefully the front-loaded timeline, affidavits, pictures and other proofs of bona-fide are good enough. We'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again for all the responses.

Timeline

no time for that Clay .. the interview is too soon...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Jim gave great advice.

Obviously, I didn't go through Vietnam but what I noticed is they don't care so much as to what the answer is (to random questions, obviously not the fact-ones) as opposed to how quickly do you respond to it. Do you look nervous, shifty? Are you comfortable, at ease? The COs are trained to gauge body language and speech pattern. How much do you 'uh' and 'um' -- they don't care where the petitioner's best friend works and it's highly unlikely they know who he goes fishing with but they want to know if the beneficiary does, indicating a bonafide relationship where the couple talks about everyday stuff. Names, dates, addresses are a must and obviously there should be no discrepancy in the facts presented in the forms and those mentioned at the interview.

I wish you all the best. I know it's easy to say, don't be nervous, heck, my knees were shaking, but smile, and always maintain eye contact. Answer precisely, to the point. Don't volunteer more information than what is asked for. Treat it like a normal conversation. Anything over 10-15 minutes is probably not going to end well so I agree with Jim in that there's no point answering questions like "What is the population of Kansas?"

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Yes, I'd imagine they would be trained in psychology to observe body language, speech patterns, and eye movements.

Then there's the numbers game, when they think you're not true, then the more questions they ask, the less likely

you will be able to keep lying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.