one...two...tree

Obama: U.S. must end dependence on fossil fuels

23 posts in this topic

i'd term it more "man-made" disaster - kinda like the one during desert storm when saddam had the kuwaiti oil wells set on fire.

as for how another oil spill was worse than this - i don't recall the howl and cry back in '79 when there was one far worse. yet here we are.....

I will agree that it is a man-made, or rather corporate made disaster.

I think the difference in outcry between the two instances is a result of our understanding of the environment and science between then and now. I dont' want to put words in your mouth, but it appears to me that your argument is something along the lines of "far worse than this has happened to the environment, and things are ok now, so we really shouldn't worry so much". Is that about right?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Decreasing our demand on fossil fuels is far better for our environment but is costly.

Most people advocating for the eco friendly fuels are not prepared for the costs a home or on the road.

I agree we need to explore options other than oil, coal, natural gas etc. but it needs to begin and implement slowly.

The president I voted for failed my expectations and continues to do so with what is happening in the gulf with the spill and the now new regulations that are knee jerk and will strong arm the suppliers causing prices to go up possibly to Katina levels.

Decreasing our demand on fossil fuels is far better for our environment but is costly.

Most people advocating for the eco friendly fuels are not prepared for the costs a home or on the road.

I agree we need to explore options other than oil, coal, natural gas etc. but it needs to begin and implement slowly.

good.gif

There are things people can do that would significantly reduce the amount of fuel consumed, but people are not in general prepared to make those choices. For example, most people, most of the time could cycle/walk to places that are less than 2 miles from their home but very few people even consider that is an option that could be all around beneficial, let alone make the choice to do so.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

There are things people can do that would significantly reduce the amount of fuel consumed, but people are not in general prepared to make those choices. For example, most people, most of the time could cycle/walk to places that are less than 2 miles from their home but very few people even consider that is an option that could be all around beneficial, let alone make the choice to do so.

I do, its has great secondary benefits, lower mileage and cheaper insurance.

I do, its has great secondary benefits, lower mileage and cheaper insurance.

It has lots of benefits but people do not do it most of the time, citing time as a primary objection, as well as safety and other things that are reasonable in their way but not if one considers that fuel is a luxury not a given. Good for you though :thumbs: I do too and I feel better for it. :)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .