Emmamama

Visa temporarily refused, need help with I-864A

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hey guys,

Yes, we were temporarily denied...Very sad and frustrating, but I won't go into that right now.

These are the reasons:

1. Our police certificate did not meet the embassy's standards--even though the NVC said that it did and we never received any correspondence WHATSOEVER from the embassy. Luckily, we'll have this document in about 72 hours. Not the issue here.

2. In my co-sponsor's (my grandFATHER) tax returns his wife (my grandMOTHER) is listed. He filled out the I-864 form with his info; the money he personally made, his assets, etc and didn't add my grandMOTHER's info. She was in his tax return though--they filed jointly.

At the interview (everyone was nice) the document reviewer (pre-consular officer) said that my grandmother needs to fill out the I-864A form since she was listed on the tax returns. (DAMN YOU NVC!! Why didn't you say anything before?? Should I be angry with them??) Simple, right?

My questions: does my grandMOTHER (household member) fill out the I-864A in accordance with the I-864 form and 2008 Income Tax Returns previously submitted?? OR does the co-sponsor submit Income Tax Returns for 2009 PLUS a new I-864 form AND THEN my grandMOTHER fills out the I-864A ??

Or am I complicating things..

Other then that things went well. We still had our interview which was like 5 minutes and they hardly looked at our evidence as a couple. They kept Lucas' passport and said to bring documents and once received/if everything was in order they'd mail us his passport. Still, frustrating!!!!

THANKS!

Thats frustrating. My wife and I are going tomorrow for our interview. Yes, the joint sponsor (your grandpa) files I-864a and you file I-864. We filed those through the NVC and they were accepted and forwarded but the embassy is requesting the info again so we are bringing all of our tax returns for both the sponsor and joint sponsor and the forms. The police record we sent was accepted through the NVC as well but the embassy requires one that is recent (within 30 days and through an offical request) You should be able to track those down fast and be on your way soon! Good luck!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Hey guys,

Yes, we were temporarily denied...Very sad and frustrating, but I won't go into that right now.

These are the reasons:

1. Our police certificate did not meet the embassy's standards--even though the NVC said that it did and we never received any correspondence WHATSOEVER from the embassy. Luckily, we'll have this document in about 72 hours. Not the issue here.

2. In my co-sponsor's (my grandFATHER) tax returns his wife (my grandMOTHER) is listed. He filled out the I-864 form with his info; the money he personally made, his assets, etc and didn't add my grandMOTHER's info. She was in his tax return though--they filed jointly.

At the interview (everyone was nice) the document reviewer (pre-consular officer) said that my grandmother needs to fill out the I-864A form since she was listed on the tax returns. (DAMN YOU NVC!! Why didn't you say anything before?? Should I be angry with them??) Simple, right?

My questions: does my grandMOTHER (household member) fill out the I-864A in accordance with the I-864 form and 2008 Income Tax Returns previously submitted?? OR does the co-sponsor submit Income Tax Returns for 2009 PLUS a new I-864 form AND THEN my grandMOTHER fills out the I-864A ??

Other then that things went well. We still had our interview which was like 5 minutes and they hardly looked at our evidence as a couple. They kept Lucas' passport and said to bring documents and once received/if everything was in order they'd mail us his passport. Still, frustrating!!!!

THANKS!

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I am using my father as my co-sponsor and am a bit confused. My dad makes 2/3rds of his household income and more than enough to meet the requirements, while my mom makes 1/3rd of the household income. They filed jointly, but since it says on line 23 what is you individual income, I just had my dad fill it out and did not include my mom's income, which is shown on the tax transcript. Now I am confused about what to do.

Hey guys,

These are the reasons:

THANKS!

Don't have a answer for you, just wanted to say you are in my thoughts!! Sorry there are minor things to correct, but at least they are minor! (F) Keep the faith, you have been down most of the road, don't falter now!!!

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: Country:
Timeline

To clarify my similar case (I am going to use fake numbers here), lets say my dad makes $50,000 from his regular job, $10,000 from his own business and my mom makes $10,000 from unemployment. The tax transcript says that they made $70,000, but my dad's regular salary of $50,000 is the only income with a W2. We have just entered his salary of $50,000 on his I 864, but would my dad have to include his $10,000 from his own business, even though $50,000 is more than enough? And what would my mom have to do, given that we do not need her salary either to qualify?

Timeline

Don't have a answer for you, just wanted to say you are in my thoughts!! Sorry there are minor things to correct, but at least they are minor! (F) Keep the faith, you have been down most of the road, don't falter now!!!

thanks so much! i appreciate the kind words.

Timeline

Thats frustrating. My wife and I are going tomorrow for our interview. Yes, the joint sponsor (your grandpa) files I-864a and you file I-864. We filed those through the NVC and they were accepted and forwarded but the embassy is requesting the info again so we are bringing all of our tax returns for both the sponsor and joint sponsor and the forms. The police record we sent was accepted through the NVC as well but the embassy requires one that is recent (within 30 days and through an offical request) You should be able to track those down fast and be on your way soon! Good luck!

Thanks! Just to correct you on something, my grandfather and I both had to file the I-864 (NOT the I-864A). We don't live together I am not his household member and he is not mine. The issue is that my grandfather and grandmother reside together and so even though my grandmother is the not a joint-sponsor but lives with him, she has to fill out the I-864A.

Timeline

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I am using my father as my co-sponsor and am a bit confused. My dad makes 2/3rds of his household income and more than enough to meet the requirements, while my mom makes 1/3rd of the household income. They filed jointly, but since it says on line 23 what is you individual income, I just had my dad fill it out and did not include my mom's income, which is shown on the tax transcript. Now I am confused about what to do.

If your dad is the only joint-sponsor but your mom's name if your mom's income is listed on the tax returns, i'd have her fill out an I-864A. Read the instructions for the I-864A it explains it there...

Edited by Emmamama

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Just a question for you Emmamama because I'm trying to figure out why they didn't accept your affidavits.

You say your grandpa was your joint sponsor. Apart from his I-864 and his tax return copies, did you also have proof of his individual income to give the Consular Officer? Such as W2, proof of pension or other assets that prove his individual income? Without such proof, then the Consulate is unfortunately entitled to request for your grandma to also file an I-864A.

I believe it must be somewhere in the I-864 instructions, or it may be somewhere else, but I clearly remember reading it. It was something along the lines of: "if a sponsor files jointly with a spouse, then you must also submit proof of their individual income - e.g. W2". Otherwise the other person stated on the tax retun forms, should also give their consent for the sponsorship (most typically by filling out an I-864A).

I'll look harder and will try to locate where I read it and copy-paste it here for people's reference.

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

To clarify my similar case (I am going to use fake numbers here), lets say my dad makes $50,000 from his regular job, $10,000 from his own business and my mom makes $10,000 from unemployment. The tax transcript says that they made $70,000, but my dad's regular salary of $50,000 is the only income with a W2. We have just entered his salary of $50,000 on his I 864, but would my dad have to include his $10,000 from his own business, even though $50,000 is more than enough? And what would my mom have to do, given that we do not need her salary either to qualify?

Your dad would EITHER need an IRS transcript of their tax return, where each person's income is shown individually, OR provide copies of his tax returns PLUS W2.

Your mom only needs to file an I-864A if your dad fails to meet the above requirements (i.e. he provides ONLY copies WITHOUT W2), just because she is listed on the tax return form.

The same goes for you Emmamama - your grandpa either has to provide transcripts of his tax returns from IRS or show copies with additional proof of salary/pension/assets. If no IRS transcripts OR copies plus additional proof of individual income can be provided, then your grandma also has to file an I-864A.

In both cases: if you can either present IRS transcripts or copies along with proof of individual income, there is no need whatsoever for the mom/grandma to be involved with an I-864A.

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Your GF would file a I-864 and for his information, he will use the figures from his OWN INDIVIDUAL INCOME as stated on the W-2/employment letter. If his own income isn't enough to qualify, then yes, your GM will have to fill up a I-864A.

Sometimes, consulates will ask for a I-864A from the spouse, EVEN if their income is NOT being used to qualify to make sure that he/she is aware of the obligation undertaken by the joint sponsor.

Does your GF make enough to qualify on his OWN for his household size?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

ok, first of all guys it's my grandfather and grandmother. clarifying just to NOT get confused.

yes, my GF makes enough they only asked for the I.864A from my GM because they filed taxes together. the numbers/income listed on GF's I-864 is only what he made.

my GF DOES make enough money to be the sponsor. he doesn't need my GM.

i'm getting really confused and i think the only people who can really answer my questions is the embassy it seems. IF ONLY THEY'D RESPOND TO MY EMAIL!

my main issue is this, i'm not worried about anything else.

should we file an entire new I-864 for my GF and a I-864A which was never filed by my GM FOR THE TAX YEAR 2009?? or should i just present the I-864A that goes along with already submitted I-864 FOR THE TAX YEAR 2008 AND GIVE THEM A COPY OF THE 2009 TAX RETURNS?? REMEMBER: there is no issue with anything regarding my GF's stuff only the I-864A....

Edited by Emmamama

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Okay.

Have your GF fill up a new I-864 with his 2009 tax stuff listed. You have his 2009 tax returns too, yes?

Your GM will fill up a new I-864A.

While this is not common, it does happen. Even though GF makes enough on his own to cover his household size, because they filed together, the Consulate wants to make sure your GM is aware of the commitment. I don't know why they do this--maybe due to income figure (big or small) or age (young or old), who knows.

My joint sponsor also files his taxes jointly with his wife but her I-864A wasn't asked for, thankfully.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.