zohaib

Embassy questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have following questions:

1. Do MTL give visa same day? Can I buy the tickets now or wait till we get visa wht you guyz suggest?

2. What is good hotel close to the embassy at walking distance? Reasonable price one please.

3. Where we can photos done close to Brampton?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. As far as I know they do not. Though some people have been able to arrange to pick up their visas a few days later. You can buy your ticket now, but it's always smart to wait. You never know what could happen. Some people buy their tickets to leave a week after their interviews and then spend 7 days venting about how they didn't get their visas yet have a plane ticket in hand. It's better to give yourself time... and again you just don't know what could happen.

2. I stayed at the Hyatt which was a two block walk (aboot). It wasn't exactly reasonable... but they had a killer breakfast buffet included with the room.

3. You can go to a Walmart photo shop or any store with a photo shop.

Donne moi une poptart!

I have following questions:

1. Do MTL give visa same day? Can I buy the tickets now or wait till we get visa wht you guyz suggest?

Ive heard of the RARE case where a CR-1 has been issued same day, never a K-1. You have AoS listed on your profile, and no timeline, so Im really not actually sure what visa you are after.

Are you talking about buying tickets to go to Montreal? Or tickets to do your PoE into the US after you get your visa? That wasnt too clear. If its Montreal, see Sprailenes answer above :)

2. What is good hotel close to the embassy at walking distance? Reasonable price one please.

I stayed at the Travelodge Montreal Centre, it was about $85 after taxes, it was a 5 min walk from the embassy straight down Boul Renee Levesque. You can check for other hotels in the area, use hotels.com or priceline.com or whatever, most are around $100 a night for average lodging, and a lot of hotels in the area are significantly more.

I live in Brampton, I used Japan Camera in Shoppers World mall, they were quick and friendly. You should be able to get them done anywhere that develops film though really.

Timeline

thank you guyz. good information. I will go for travel lodge one if 5 mintues walk others are kind of expansive. Hay guyz what about parking???

I am renting car from Toronto to montreal. Air is expansive. I am talking about once visa done to come back to USA. The change fee is $75 later. So how many days acutally it takes to get back. If I buy a return after a week of interview is that enough?

We are after F2 visa and time line is as follows:

Medical: 6/16/2010

Interview: 7/23/2010

thank you guyz. good information. I will go for travel lodge one if 5 mintues walk others are kind of expansive. Hay guyz what about parking???

I am renting car from Toronto to montreal. Air is expansive. I am talking about once visa done to come back to USA. The change fee is $75 later. So how many days acutally it takes to get back. If I buy a return after a week of interview is that enough?

We are after F2 visa and time line is as follows:

Medical: 6/16/2010

Interview: 7/23/2010

There are parking lots all over, I used the underground parking in the mall across from the Travelodge, in the Complexe Desjardins.

Parking is going to run $20-25 because you want to be sure you have enough time to deal with the embassy in the morning.

At the Embassy they will tell you that it will take up to 2 weeks to get sent back, so plan for that IMO.

Are you flying to California from Toronto?

Edited by SupportGeek

Timeline

There are parking lots all over, I used the underground parking in the mall across from the Travelodge, in the Complexe Desjardins.

Parking is going to run $20-25 because you want to be sure you have enough time to deal with the embassy in the morning.

At the Embassy they will tell you that it will take up to 2 weeks to get sent back, so plan for that IMO.

Are you flying to California from Toronto?

Yes, I think Virgin America is cheapest right now. My wife is in toronto. Thanks for the info. hmm two weeks I am not sure wht to do buy the tickets or wait. you know it's summer and tickets can be very very expansive later.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We stayed at LaTour Centerville, I think it is one of the cheapest and the closest hotel to the Consulate. It is like a 2 minute walk, literally. Some of the VJ members have complained about bugs in the hotel, but to be honest, I did not find any in my room.

Good luck!

KnR aka slider100

Yeap

Virgin American is just starting nonstop flights from YYZ to LAX or SFO

$200US promotional fare each way.

I dont think there is any variation in ticket price, its promotional, just check your dates on the VA website, should be $200 no matter which you choose.

I thought about La Tour Centerville as well, cheap rates, but there were a lot of reviews that complained of bedbugs among other problems, so I stayed down the road at Travelodge.

Edited by SupportGeek

As far as I know, Montreal mails you your visa (I received it within a few days) - but they could be doing things differently now.

I stayed at the Delta Montreal, about a 5-7 minute walk. Definitely a nice hotel, in a great location so we walked everywhere.

I got my pictures done at Black's Photography. They did a great job, see if there is one locally.

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Montreal stopped giving out same day visas for CR1's a few years ago.. I think I was one of the last few people to get their visa the same day and that was back in March 2005...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

2. There are lots of hotels (and B&B's) within 3 km of Consulate (I used one of the latter on Laval Av, can't remember its name).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

99% of the time they mail them out, BUT a few have asked to pick it up same day or next and their wish was granted. So why not ask, all they can do is say no!! One still has to buy the envelope as most likely they will say no! BUT if you do not ask, you will never know!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

99% of the time they mail them out, BUT a few have asked to pick it up same day or next and their wish was granted. So why not ask, all they can do is say no!! One still has to buy the envelope as most likely they will say no! BUT if you do not ask, you will never know!

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.