hart11b

Confused on Vaccination Requirements

11 posts in this topic

I've got the entire AOS package together finally. She still needs to have the civil surgeon sign the I-693, but I'm confused as to which vaccinations she actually needs.

Her DS-3025 from Korea shows she received TDap, MMR and Varicella (1st dose only). So I'm thinking she needs to get the 2nd dose now before the doctor will sign off on it, is that correct?

Also, when I was compiling all of the documents I came across this webpage. It says she needs lots of vaccinations that she either hasn't had or doesn't have proof that she had it. Does she need to get all of these vaccinations? Her 3025 says 'not age appropriate' for most of them, but Pertussis isn't listed on the 3025 at all.

I'm just really confused. Is the 3025 all she needs or do I need to get her a bunch more shots like this webpage says?

Someone help...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've got the entire AOS package together finally. She still needs to have the civil surgeon sign the I-693, but I'm confused as to which vaccinations she actually needs.

Her DS-3025 from Korea shows she received TDap, MMR and Varicella (1st dose only). So I'm thinking she needs to get the 2nd dose now before the doctor will sign off on it, is that correct?

Also, when I was compiling all of the documents I came across this webpage. It says she needs lots of vaccinations that she either hasn't had or doesn't have proof that she had it. Does she need to get all of these vaccinations? Her 3025 says 'not age appropriate' for most of them, but Pertussis isn't listed on the 3025 at all.

I'm just really confused. Is the 3025 all she needs or do I need to get her a bunch more shots like this webpage says?

Someone help...

I can only suggest what we did for our AOS.

You will need to go see a USCIS doctor. He/she will review her shot history and any shots she received from the embassy medical. Based on all that, the doctor will determine what shots she needs. Some immunizations are not needed for her age (as checked on the 3025) and some are given in a series.

Our doctor told us that some shots are not age appropriate and the listing on the website is for EVERY age, ie including infants up to 100 years old both male and female. The USCIS doctor will determine which shots she needs and advise accordingly. My wife needed 3 shots, 1 we got there and 2 we had to go to the local health dept for (doc did not have them). We went back with the receipt and she signed/sealed the form and we sent it in. We were approved about 2 months later.

Here are the schedules with clear definition for age appropriate vaccines:

http://www.cdc.gov/ImmigrantRefugeeHealth/pdf/2009-vaccination-technical-instructions.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/adult/2010/adult-schedule-11x17.pdf

HPV vaccine is no longer required.

Immigration doesn't require series of shots to be completed (it is enough to get one shot out of two or three required).

It depends how old your wife is, but if she is between 19-49 it would seem to me that she had all the required vaccines.

Hope that helped!

02/12/2010 - Sent AOS package to Chicago Lockbox

02/23/2010 - NOA received for I-485, I-130 and I-765 (Day 11)

03/05/2010 - letter of appointment for Biometrics received (Day 22)

03/05/2010 - I-130 touched. (Day 22)

03/18/2010 - Biometrics taken! (Day 35)

03/19/2010 - I-485 and I-765 Touched. (Day 36)

04/08/2010 - Interview letter received (Day 56)

05/05/2010 - Touch on I-485 (Day 83)

05/06/2010 - Touch on I-130 (Day 84)

05/06/2010 - EAD Card production ordered!

05/21/2010 - Interview @ 8.50AM (Day 99)

05/21/2010 - INTERVIEW APPROVED! (Day 99)

05/24/2010 - Touch on I-485 and I-130(Day 102)

05/24/2010 - Card Production Ordered on May 21!! (Day 102)

05/26/2010 - Card Production Ordered AGAIN. Mhm... (Day 104)

05/26/2010 - EAD Received! (Day 104)

05/27/2010 - I-130 Approval notice and Green Card Welcome Letter received (Day 105)

06/18/2010 - Green Card RECEIVED!!!

06/22/2010 - Applied for SSN

06/30/2010 - SSN received!!

06/30/2010 - Applied for DL...

07/24/2010 - DL and ID Received!!!

Here are the schedules with clear definition for age appropriate vaccines:

http://www.cdc.gov/ImmigrantRefugeeHealth/pdf/2009-vaccination-technical-instructions.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/adult/2010/adult-schedule-11x17.pdf

HPV vaccine is no longer required.

Immigration doesn't require series of shots to be completed (it is enough to get one shot out of two or three required).

It depends how old your wife is, but if she is between 19-49 it would seem to me that she had all the required vaccines.

Hope that helped!

Ok that was a huge help...thank you. She is 26, so we should be good on the shots. You said, "Immigration doesn't require series of shots to be completed (it is enough to get one shot out of two or three required)." Is that good enough for the AOS? She already immigrated to the US.

That website was a huge help. Thanks so much!

Sorry for the 20 questions, but do I even need to submit the I-693? The instructions for the 693 states:

pg 4. 3.2.c.b'Even if a new medical examination os not required, you still must show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designaed civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit part 1, Part 2 and Part5 of the FORM I-693.'

I have a good DS-3025 from her medical in Korea. The above paragraph makes me think that I don't even need to send an I-693 since I have a good 3025.

Thoughts??? I'd like to avoid paying money to a doctor that isn't my doctor (my doctor is free).

Concerning your first post: Pertussis is the P in Tdap, so she's had the immunization.

We got AOS with no I-693 and lot's of others did too. Then they changed contractors who open and process the AOS applications and so many people applying around November got RFEs. My guess has always been the sudden change to medical RFEs was more about the new contractors. That has subsided and it seems like they (contractors) have figured out the process. Then there will always be people who don't understand the documents telling what immunizations are required. It seems to me that your wife's are complete. Those are the shots my husband got. Here's a very recent approval with no I-693--

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/258715-a-wonderful-gift-before-our-wedding/

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Ok that was a huge help...thank you. She is 26, so we should be good on the shots. You said, "Immigration doesn't require series of shots to be completed (it is enough to get one shot out of two or three required)." Is that good enough for the AOS? She already immigrated to the US.

That website was a huge help. Thanks so much!

What I meant was that if it is required to get two shots of Varicella vaccine (to complete the series), it is enough to get just one shot and send the forms out to USCIS. So your fiance doesn't need to get the second varicella shot.

I don't know if you need to submit I-693 if you have DS-3025 (which cannot be older than one year, otherwise you definitely need I-693) or not, but you can read here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-693instr.pdf page 4 has FAQ section which defines it better.

02/12/2010 - Sent AOS package to Chicago Lockbox

02/23/2010 - NOA received for I-485, I-130 and I-765 (Day 11)

03/05/2010 - letter of appointment for Biometrics received (Day 22)

03/05/2010 - I-130 touched. (Day 22)

03/18/2010 - Biometrics taken! (Day 35)

03/19/2010 - I-485 and I-765 Touched. (Day 36)

04/08/2010 - Interview letter received (Day 56)

05/05/2010 - Touch on I-485 (Day 83)

05/06/2010 - Touch on I-130 (Day 84)

05/06/2010 - EAD Card production ordered!

05/21/2010 - Interview @ 8.50AM (Day 99)

05/21/2010 - INTERVIEW APPROVED! (Day 99)

05/24/2010 - Touch on I-485 and I-130(Day 102)

05/24/2010 - Card Production Ordered on May 21!! (Day 102)

05/26/2010 - Card Production Ordered AGAIN. Mhm... (Day 104)

05/26/2010 - EAD Received! (Day 104)

05/27/2010 - I-130 Approval notice and Green Card Welcome Letter received (Day 105)

06/18/2010 - Green Card RECEIVED!!!

06/22/2010 - Applied for SSN

06/30/2010 - SSN received!!

06/30/2010 - Applied for DL...

07/24/2010 - DL and ID Received!!!

Concerning your first post: Pertussis is the P in Tdap, so she's had the immunization.

We got AOS with no I-693 and lot's of others did too. Then they changed contractors who open and process the AOS applications and so many people applying around November got RFEs. My guess has always been the sudden change to medical RFEs was more about the new contractors. That has subsided and it seems like they (contractors) have figured out the process. Then there will always be people who don't understand the documents telling what immunizations are required. It seems to me that your wife's are complete. Those are the shots my husband got. Here's a very recent approval with no I-693--

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/258715-a-wonderful-gift-before-our-wedding/

So did you just submit the 3025 instead of the I-693? Did you write anything like, "In accordance with XXX, we don't need the I-693?"

I think I may try to submit her AOS without the I-693 because I can't take off of work this week and the nearest CS is about 1.5 hours away.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

IMO:You only need to complete required doses and let doctor signed/stamped on your medical record which was given in your country. Then make a photocopy and send it together with AOS packages. You don't need to do medical here if your K-1 medical is less than a year as per USCIS website.

Had your wife given brown envelop which contain medical report (DS 3025), to the POE officer when your wife came to the country?

So did you just submit the 3025 instead of the I-693? Did you write anything like, "In accordance with XXX, we don't need the I-693?"

I think I may try to submit her AOS without the I-693 because I can't take off of work this week and the nearest CS is about 1.5 hours away.

Yes, only submitted the vaccination worksheet(photocopy of our photocopy). My thoughts are still as they were back then--I wouldn't spend another penny paying somebody to copy my list of immunizations to a new piece of paper until I was forced to by an RFE. I was 100% positive that no other shots were needed. We weren't bothered by a possible RFE and didn't think an extra couple of weeks to fix it (if one came) would change our lives in any way.

****DISCLAIMER****to others reading this----

Just because you had a medical and got a visa does not mean you have all the shots for AOS. You can get a visa with no shots. If you can't read and interpret the immunization requirements, then you might need to see a civil surgeon so he can interpret it for you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Yes, only submitted the vaccination worksheet(photocopy of our photocopy). My thoughts are still as they were back then--I wouldn't spend another penny paying somebody to copy my list of immunizations to a new piece of paper until I was forced to by an RFE. I was 100% positive that no other shots were needed. We weren't bothered by a possible RFE and didn't think an extra couple of weeks to fix it (if one came) would change our lives in any way.

****DISCLAIMER****to others reading this----

Just because you had a medical and got a visa does not mean you have all the shots for AOS. You can get a visa with no shots. If you can't read and interpret the immunization requirements, then you might need to see a civil surgeon so he can interpret it for you.

Thanks so much, my thoughts are the same as yours. Fingers crossed...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.