andiclare

Seeking advice on NVC and speeding up the Visa process

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi all,

This forum has been recommended to me by many people, so I thought I'd give it a try. We basically need some advice as to how to get through the NVC process as quickly as possible because my husband and I are currently on different continents (me in the US, he in the UK) and we have a baby due inn 2 months. Also, I'm sorta trying to work this out in my head so please forgive the length of this post.

Quick run-down of our situation-- I am a US citizen, my husband is a UK citizen. We were married when he was here on the WVP in Nov. 09 and we started the I-130 application process in January.

We got pregnant on our honeymoon, and I'm currently 7 months along. Baby will be due end of July or very early August. The past few months have been very hectic.....I spent 2 months in England with my husband and his family, then moved back to the US to a new city (near Kansas City, KS) to be closer to my mom and my brother's family.

The plan was for my husband to stay in the UK until his Visa was approved, and then to join me in the States about mid-July. This would ensure (or so the plan went) that he got here in time for the baby to be born, and also gave him more time to continue to work in England and add to our savings (since he woudln't be authorized to work in the States before his Visa came through.) Due to poor planning on my end and a mix-up with changing my address when I moved, some paperwork that was sent to me never arrived and in going around and around with the USCIS trying to get my address changed (seems like such a simple thing, but I had to do it 3 times before it "took"), we had to have some documents re-sent and ended up delaying the whole process by at least 2 months.

So, earlier in May I learned from the USCIS status website that our I-130 had been approved and the USCIS had handed over our case to the NVC. I've received a letter showing that I've been chosen as my husband's agent and an Immigration Visa invoice for $400 to start that process.

Looking online, I have a few questions. First of all, I haven't received anything about the Affadavit of Support yet. Seems I should have received an invoice for that as well...? I have a joint sponsor in my family ready to assist me in filing this, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. When I go to the NVC website and put in our NVC #, it pops up a screen saying that the $400 IV fee and the $70 AoS fee in our case haven't been paid and it gives me options on how to pay them. We're working on getting the money together for the IV fee- should have that done this next week. I have enough to go ahead with the $70 AoS fee now though-- so should I go ahead and pay it? Seems like from what I'm reading, there is a step-by-step process that needs to happen in sequence, and I don't want to mess the order up. Since i haven't received an invoice for the AoS in the mail yet, would it be wise to go ahead and pay online?

I'm coming to terms with the fact that we might not be done with this by mid-July, and my husband might not be able to get here in time for the baby. :( We had never had any guarantees otherwise, but from the info we had, we'd thought that it would work out just a bit quicker than it has. And then of course we had the delay in processing the I-130 with the address change situation. My husband coming over on the WVP in the meantime isn't an option anymore because we can't afford the extra round trip plane ticket for him to go back to England once London calls him for his medical and interview.

So...we're just wondering if yall think, given the info I've given you and the processing times, if there's any possible way this could all be done by the end of July? Even if my husband has to miss the baby being born, obviously we want him to come over ASAP after.

I'm not looking for a quick fix or any guarantees...just want to make sure we're doing everything the best way so as to not delay this whole thing even further.

Thanks in advance for any replies... :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

You can go ahead and pay the affidavit of support fee, they don't have to be done in a particular order as they are completely separate.

I recommend you have a look at these shortcuts, gives you a step by step guide on how to get through NVC quickly.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

Good luck

Timeline

Hi,

You can go ahead and pay the affidavit of support fee, they don't have to be done in a particular order as they are completely separate.

I recommend you have a look at these shortcuts, gives you a step by step guide on how to get through NVC quickly.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

Good luck

Thank you for replying, and thanks for the link. I'm saving it on my computer for a reference. I guess I should go ahead and pay the $70 fee then? I never got a letter telling me to do this is my only concern, but it is right there on the NVC status page when I log in, that I have this invoice amount due and unpaid, etc.

Based on what I wrote do any of yall have any opinions on if we could possibly get this done to where my husband could come to the US for good before July 30? Before the baby gets here. Is it hopelessly naive to even consider it a possibility? I still haven't come to terms with being alone here, going through this without my husband. But if I have to, I have to. I know there are no guarantees. Just looking for some honest opinions...

Timeline

Questions from last post still stand, if anyone would like to take a stab at it.

So I was reading through the shortcut site that trailmix linked to. Right now we're still at the point where we're trying to get the invoices paid for the IV and AoS. In trying to make this as fast as possible, I was looking ahead to when we assemble the IV package.

There's a check-list on the link:

"BARCODED Cover Sheet (to be printed from web when your status is PAID online for IV bill)

You OWN cover sheet listing what documents are in the package, so they're easy for the reviewer to locate

Completed DS-230 part I & II and ONLY part I signed by beneficiary.

Photocopy of the beneficiary's passport biographic data page.

Original/certified copy of beneficiary’s birth certificate.

Original/certified copy of beneficiary’s and petitioner’s marriage certificate.

Original police certificates of the beneficiary.

Original/certified copy of military record, if applicable.

Original/certified copy of divorce decree, death certificate, etc. of previous marriage, if applicable.

I was thinking the sooner my husband got these things, the better, and we should try to get as much as possible done beforehand. A couple of questions: for the original/certified copies of the birth certificiate and marriage certificate, can we send photocopies or must we send originals? (sounds self-explanatory but I'm just making sure). Will either of these be returned, or are the copies for the NVC? I ask because we only have one copy of the marriage certificate and if I order another one, just trying to estimate the time that will take.

Thanks again in advance! :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Pay attention, non-EP NVC noobs. Here's Christeen's time tested formula to get you through NVC in one piece alive:

Petitioner: Get NVC # + give operator your email IDs + receive AOS fee bill + pay 70$ online + wait to show paid + print cover sheet + send I-864 AOS with all documents and case # written on each page.

Beneficiary: Get NVC# + receive DS3032 + send DS3032+ DS3032 accepted + IV fee bill available to be paid + pay & wait to show paid + print IV cover sheet + mail DS230 package with all original/certified documents

= wait for case complete + wait for interview to be scheduled.

Suggestions:

1) Have the beneficiary mail SIGNED extra DS230s to you so that you have them handy in case something goes wrong. Or you get hit by a dreaded RFE.

2) If you just received your NOA2, THIS is the time to get your tax stuff and police certificates sorted out. Don't waste time on this.

3) Double check the PCC requirements in the regional forums as they are country specific.

4) Check the pinned STUPID RFEs thread in IR-1/CR-1 forum before sending in your packages.

5) Mail your DS230 package to your USC spouse as soon as you get your NOA2. That way he/she can overnight it to NVC as soon as the IV bill clears.

6) Get your taxes, employment letter, paystubs, PCCs, civil documents etc. while you wait for the NOA2.

Currently the # of business days NVC is taking:

3-4 days for NVC to receive your case and assign a case #.

3-4 days to receive emailed links after case # has been assigned and email addresses been given to NVC operator.

1-2 days for the AOS bill to show as PAID.

1-3 days for DS3032 to be accepted.

1-2 days for IV bill to be PAID.

8-10 days for case complete after all your documents have been sent in.

Folks--please make sure your official VJ timelines are up to date. Remember this is our only source of predictions. Thankyou!

Regarding the AOS package:

First thing, I would recommend is that you print out the I-864 form and read the instructions about 2 times. Mark out the relevant portions and ask any questions you might have after that. I would suggest you read the guides for a comprehensive idea about how the AOS packet will comprise.

Recommended AOS package:

I-864 Coversheet (with barcode) for payment of $70

Form I-864 (signed and dated)

2009 Federal Tax Return/W2 and 1099s or IRS tax transcript.

2008 Federal Tax Return and W2 and 1099s or IRS tax transcript.

2007 Federal Tax Return/W2 and 1099s or IRS Tax Transcript

Letter of Employment

Pay stub(s) from the most recent six months

Bank Statements.

Remember, the USC petitioner will file a I-864 regardless of income. If your joint sponsor lives in the same household as the petitioner, then they will use I-864A. If they live in a separate residence, then they will fill in another I-864.

For your joint sponsor you will need proof of their citizenship/residency. For household member, you will need proof of relationship and proof of same household/residence.

This is the link to the NVC payment portal. Bookmark it. You're gonna be checking in a lot.

https://ceac.state.gov/CTRAC/Invoice/signon.aspx

Join the NVC June 2010 thread, ya? :thumbs:

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.