Obama 2012

Toronto G20 Protesters To Be Greeted With Sound Canons.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd avoid downtown Toronto that weekend. It's going to be a madhouse.

Unless of course you're going down to protest this #######, then :thumbs:

------

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/05/27/g20-sound-cannons547.html

The addition of sound cannons to the arsenal available to security forces managing G20 protests comes as no surprise to groups planning to demonstrate in Toronto at next month's summit.

They say it's just one more signal amid an unprecedented security operation that dissenting voices are being muzzled.

"We were expecting the use of sound cannons, sound grenades, Tasers, tear gas — they've been used in the past against Canadian protesters," Sharmeen Khan, spokeswoman for the Toronto Community Mobilization Network, said Thursday.

"We definitely are concerned that this will scare people away."

The sound cannons are capable of emitting ear-piercing and hearing-damaging alerts that can be heard up to 1.5 kilometres away.

Formally known as long-range acoustical devices, they can also be used to broadcast prerecorded and other messages to protesters.

"It will allow our officers to speak to the crowd over and above chanting, yelling, screaming — noise that is most commonly part of protests," said Const. Wendy Drummond, spokeswoman for Toronto police.

"It will allow us to communicate, most effectively, our demands to the crowd."

Toronto police have purchased four of the devices — three hand-held and one mounted — from Vancouver-based Current Corp.

The devices — some call them weapons — use an array of tweeters that work in tandem to produce the high-volume levels.

Used at Pittsburgh summit

They can be pointed at specific targets to minimize the impact on bystanders and have been used around the world for a variety of functions, including against protesters at last year's G20 summit in Pittsburgh.

While the sound cannons can cause hearing damage, police said they planned to follow both manufacturer and internal guidelines in their use, including firing alert bursts of only two to three seconds.

Toronto police bought the devices as part of the $1-billion security effort Canadian authorities are mounting to try to ensure the G8 and G20 summits run smoothly.

The Council of Canadians said Wednesday it would give away earplugs during the G20 to protect people from permanent hearing loss.

"Saying a sound cannon is a tool for communications is like saying waterboarding isn't torture, just a tool for encouraging dialogue," said spokesman Mark Calzavara.

The devices are meant to "intimidate people and make them too scared to protest," he said.

Those involved with security planning are making no apologies.

"This is the largest security event that Canada has ever had," Drummond said.

"We are expecting a large amount of people in our downtown core … just the sheer numbers alone make it a huge event."

Canada is no stranger to ugly clashes between security forces and protesters.

The Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP concluded the Mounties used "excessive and unjustified force" to disperse protesters at the 2001 Summit of the Americas in Quebec.

The RCMP was also forced to admit it botched security planning for the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit in Vancouver in 1997, leading to the pepper-spraying of crowds of protesters and 42 arrests.

The G20 summit in Toronto runs June 26-27.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Protestors say its to muzzle them, security forces say its not going to be used unless the protests turn violent.

I'll go with the security on this one, since various protest groups have already threatened to set fires and vandalize buildings.

Protesting is fine, civil disobedience and violence? not really the same thing

Timeline

Protestors say its to muzzle them, security forces say its not going to be used unless the protests turn violent.

I'll go with the security on this one, since various protest groups have already threatened to set fires and vandalize buildings.

Protesting is fine, civil disobedience and violence? not really the same thing

When you look at what the sound cannons do, it's disgusting to be honest.

Also if Pittsburgh last year is a model, the protesters aren't the problem, it's the cops. They have a tendency to act first because of their own jitters. The fact the peaceful protesters were literally attacked by police in Pitt. was disgusting.

This security force in Toronto is bigger with a lot more lunacy flying about.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

When you look at what the sound cannons do, it's disgusting to be honest.

Ive read what they do, they wont cause any kind of lasting damage when used properly (this is key), the problems arise when they are employed by untrained users, I heard on the radio that Toronto police are having the manufacturer train them in the use.

Any less than lethal option is dangerous when used incorrectly, teargas cannisters can cause burns and scarring, possibly kill people with respiratory problems, also set fires to structures, Flashbangs are the same, Tazers have enough people that think they are worse than guns. The list goes on.

Also if Pittsburgh last year is a model, the protesters aren't the problem, it's the cops. They have a tendency to act first because of their own jitters. The fact the peaceful protesters were literally attacked by police in Pitt. was disgusting.

This security force in Toronto is bigger with a lot more lunacy flying about.

There are worlds of difference between US cops and Canadian cops, this isnt to say there are not individual exceptions as there always are. Canadians tend to tolerate more stupidity before reacting, you see them jumping to the tazers less frequently than US cops seem to for EVERYTHING. In the US, every time you hear about a tazering it goes something like this:

"Step out of the car ma'am"

*5 second pause*

"Ok thats it! yer going down!"

*ZZAPP!*

The force is larger sure, there are designated areas already set up for protesters to gather in the G20 areas. Sure something will happen, it may even be initiated by the cops, but its FAR more likely to be initiated by violent protesters. I have friends that are cops and will just stand around and even chat with protesters if they are behaving, they dont WANT to have to arrest, and disperse people getting out of hand of they can help it, but they have a job to protect people and property, and when violent protest threatens that, its going to be stopped.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I also support the security people...too many protesters cause so much damage to property that does not belong to them. Also the leaders have to be protected from the nut cases out there..and lets all remember that we are at war as we see from time to time by the flags flying on the Highway of Heros. That's all I have to say about that...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I don't have any issue with this.

G8 and G20 economic summit meetings, historically, bring out the loons.

The loons love to be arrested.

Perhaps will be fun to be arrested with busted ear-drums, this time, yes?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I don't have any issue with this.

G8 and G20 economic summit meetings, historically, bring out the loons.

The loons love to be arrested.

Perhaps will be fun to be arrested with busted ear-drums, this time, yes?

you mean those attending the summit? :whistle:

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Paul - no. Sorry.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's really sad these type of protests always turn so violent, regardless of who initiates the violet activity.

Peaceful political demonstration is a valiant thing. I love seeing people stand up for their beliefs, no matter if I agree or disagree. However, the masses at these type of large scale protests don't show up with the right intentions. Unfortunately, I would say the bulk of these individuals are grossly misinformed, and have no idea what they are really standing up to fight. I went to college with some people who drove down to Pittsburgh last year to take place in the protests, and after talking to them about their political beliefs and what they were fighting for, I was just amazed. They really had no understanding of the G20 and what it represents. Unfortunately some people are just conflict driven and want to start a fight, and others take the opportunity to act violently under the mask of a political protest. Sure, there are a lot of educated people who do show up with good intentions, but they're grossly outnumbered. A wide scale protest with media hype and a history of violence is not an effective way to spread a political message, and the sooner people realize this the better it will be for everyone. Maybe one day the police won't need to use these kind of tactics to prevent people from killing each other.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks for the travel tip, Paul and Vanessa!....:thumbs:

Note to self: Avoid going to Toronto, June 26-27

Lol..What has the city of Toronto become, when the cops and protesters have to resort to this....sad really....:(

As for the idea of protesting...Fine..As long as it is done peacefully..On both sides.....

Quietly hold up picket signs, or whatever else...Fine..Freedom of free speech.....

Bring out the cannons, tear gas, or other weapons....NO!!! :angry:

Ant (Who quietly protests about this topic by posting on VJ...lol.... :wow: )

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

It's not just the city of Toronto this always happens with the G20 conventions and Summit of the America's as well. Don't you remember what Quebec City looked like in 2001 for the Summit of the America's??

How quickly some forget.

Here's just one picture to refresh your memory..

010420-QuebecCityAntiFTAA-09.jpg

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Most people don't like the idea of a unified World, especially along the lines of 'economic prosperity' (with good reason as well).

G8 is one thing to have a meeting of the minds on world leaders to maintain diplomacy.

G20 is a completely different beast with the meeting of economic powers and big bankers. These are the same people who have been screwing us over for the past century and are only going to continue to do the same.

My problem with the cops is they keep protesters completely back from the officials where they cannot be really seen or heard.

In Pittsburgh Cops launches tear gas/used sound cannons on PEACEFUL protesters who just wanted to come into the area where the summit was being held.

I'll disagree with anyone who says it's the protesters who get out of hand and not the cops in most of these.

Usually there's always one or two idiots, but the cops will attack a whole entire crowd instead of dealing with the problem, which in turn will cause the crowd to get violent on the cops. Let's be honest, Pigs weren't meant for herding, they were meant to be herded.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Its like that in most things in society, a few ruin it for the majority!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Whenever there is a protest with a military presence, most people start to feel more defensive. Then one person may throw something and the cops/military start in on the crowd and it gets out of control fast.

It's hard to say: "Peaceful protest" and then show up to police officers in full riot gear. You're going to get some people who see that as an invitation to start something.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

These types of political events always have a clash of the titans it seems. There are legitimate people exercising their legitimate rights to protest etc, but things end up nasty and, in some cases, it just brings out the uglies that have a riot or violent agenda. The downside is that law enforcement, trying to deal with an overwhelming situaiton, has very low to zero tolerance, and sometimes innocent people get hurt.

I'll be very far away in BC, watching....or maybe I won't watch haha.

Edited by zenaxe

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.