Moosker

Canada Day, Washington, DC

106 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

D says it's probably going to be the same as last year so probably no poutine, boo. But I heard thru the grapevine that there is going to be a new place selling poutine in DC soon. Check out Eat Wonky on fb.

And I know I am only a USC but I will be there around lunch time and would love to meet with other VJ'ers. I think Liz will be there too.

Perhaps you missed the part about this being held at the Canadian Embassy. I don't think they really care about what you think of their flag flying policy on their own land.

And personally I will make sure the Canadian flag is flying at our house on July 1 and the US flag on July 4. At other times it's a Welsh flag, a Virginia flag, a New York flag etc. What can I say, I just like flags! biggrin.gif

Just tell them to bring the Unibrou back.. maybe keep the Molson in Canada and bring down some Keiths instead. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

There actually was a place in DC that for the Olympics was making poutine. I wish I would've tried it out. This is it: Good Stuff Eatery in DC

We should just ignore 'em... :whistle:

It's funny. I think illegal immigration is the one and only thing that every single member on this board is of the same opinion, don't do it, go the proper route. But you start a thread in OT about it and after 2 pages of niceties, it degrades into a partisan politics thread that goes on for pages until Kathryn closes it, not for racial slurs, but because I said someone was retarded. Figures, that's OT for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just tell them to bring the Unibrou back.. maybe keep the Molson in Canada and bring down some Keiths instead. :D

I will make your request known, lol. :jest:

Good Stuff is right up the road from where I work and I go there every once in a while for lunch. Didn't know about the poutine during the Olympics though, rats!

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

Why are you being such a complete asshat? Seriously. Wow. I came back and read this and almost choked. I am not usually rude on forums and stuff but you're a bit of a jerk.

As one who believes in complete assimilation into the country/culture you are moving to/choosing to live in, then yeah.

Disgusts me to see people flying Mexican, Canadian, UK, French, etc. flags outside of their homes at all times of the year.

This is the USA, not your home country. If you love your home country so much, go back to it and be a part of it. It's truly that simple.

If I was to make the effort to move to another country and wanted to be there, I'd assimilate the same way.

Now that's not to say you cannot be happy for another country in their founding/independence on certain holidays like Canada Day, but it should never be one of those things that makes you proud/excited/go out of your way to celebrate --- unless you of course do the same for the 4th of July here. ;) but that should be bigger though. :P

Hey lady... Alexander Keith's is my all-time fave beer for like every day drinking sort of thing. I love it.

Gimme a Keith's please!

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

But to be perfectly honest, I have strong feelings about citizenship. But as long as you learn the language, pay your taxes, and attempt to learn about the country beyond watching The Hills :rofl:, I'm good. I have been indifferent about Canada Day in the past. Last year, I took the day off to spend it with my wife. The year before, I kind of laughed at it cause everyone doesn't go out and buy fireworks :lol:. This year, I'm going to actually take my wife to one of the celebrations. We've found this really cool restaurant by where we live (Redondo Beach Cafe on PCH), that is owned by a Canadian family and they have Canada Day celebrations there. They also have acceptable poutine. My only peeve about the place is that they are all very snooty french canadians who insist upon correcting my pronunciation of everything. Oh well, they have good poutine, so I don't say anything. Don't want to cut off that supply line.

I might have to check this place out... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I so hate to say this but man, I totally agree. Quel disappointment.

seriously.

Zoiks...

What part of my comment WASN'T clearly demonstrating my statement as a joke? Did I not add enough smilies?

I guess that's what happens when one gets busy and doesn't post as much. I figured people would remember how I would always make tongue-in-cheek comments like that, but alas. Meh. Oh well.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Exactly. Especially since you rarely post anymore and come back only to say that. It's just douche-like behavior... not proper netiquette at all.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Pretty much... see above comments. You NEVER post here anymore and such and then come back out of the blue with a harsh backlash like that -- it was totally shocking and well, douchy. The comment and such.... if you'd sort of kept up your normal rapport (and by normal, I don't mean constant as YES, you are busy but normal as in, these are people i went through a hard process with and befriended a few of them and thus, act with respect regardless of how little I post as well, you're busy and that part is cool.) here and otherwise, it would have been interpreted totally different . it just seemed like you saw this post and decided, here, I'll ####### on you guys.

It's just an interpretation but contextual.

Zoiks...

What part of my comment WASN'T clearly demonstrating my statement as a joke? Did I not add enough smilies?

I guess that's what happens when one gets busy and doesn't post as much. I figured people would remember how I would always make tongue-in-cheek comments like that, but alas. Meh. Oh well.

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Harsh crowd!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I just think it's sad that I made a tongue-in-cheek comment that got taken the wrong way, solely because I don't post here much anymore. There are countless people from VJ that I did indeed go through a very difficult process with, and I'd like to think my own input has helped more than a few folks with THEIR journeys as well. But the fact of the matter is that things DO change, and people get busy...and while I mused aloud (well, textually...) back in February about why so many people stop being regular VJ posters once they finally finish their "journey", I now completely get it. Living and working in a new country, having a busy job, spending all of my spare time enjoying the company of my wife...it makes it hard, and slightly undesirable to be a regular reader of / contributor to a message board. I've certainly tried to arrange VJ get-togethers, as well as one-on-one get-togethers, even offering a night at the opera with my wife and myself no fewer than three separate times.

But I guess that's an unfortunate by-product of message board culture. No matter how well-liked one was, or how much one's input and advice was appreciated, once a person no longer posts regularly, it's easy to simply dismiss that person as an outcast.

VJ has been invaluable to me. Truly. I'm still rather surprised at the reaction to my comment earlier in this thread. Being a "douche" has never been my style.

Harsh crowd!! lol

You're telling me...

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

No worry about it Wyatt. I think I'm 99.9999% never serious on here, but somehow soem take that way! And people wonder why I never want to meet up,lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I had no harshness in my post. Time to move on!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.