AandB

Change my name or not??

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I think if you are hesitating, keep your name. You can always change it later. As far as I know, changing your name in the US is just a matter of using it.

I have been trying to figure out if this is true or not. People in this thread have mentioned that it was something you have to pay for - as in, filling out forms.

What is the story on this? Is it a state-by-state issue?

I'm still curious about the questions I asked on page 2; a response would be appreciated. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I absolutely adore my last name, but like yours it's french and very confusing to non francophones... mostly because it is in two parts and has a period haha. However I love the idea of sharing a name... I feel like it adds a certain family connection you know? So my personal preference is going with the name change, regardless of how awesome yours is, and how awesome his may not be. Eventually it won't just be his name, it'll be yours too and you'll grow to love it I am sure.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

Pfffft! Here I thought you guys were having fun without me!

"D

No we were talking about brow jobs... waxing, tweezing and all that fun stuff.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Speaking of brows, I totally accidentally waxed half of mine off last month with a 'home-kit' and I have had all of this time to fix it.... but I just keep them like that now... because I like the confused looks I get....

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

yeah, I did that with my beav...

KIDDING!!! geez...

;)

Speaking of brows, I totally accidentally waxed half of mine off last month with a 'home-kit' and I have had all of this time to fix it.... but I just keep them like that now... because I like the confused looks I get....

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Now, what about the other way around. There is a guy I used to work with, he actually took her name. At first he was just going to take her name, but ended up hyphenating his name with hers. He was teased mercilessly with comments like "So, what does your husband think about you wearing a suit to work". I like to think of myself as progressive, but I think that is a bit too much for me.

An old boyfriend of mine and his wife did something similar. He took her maiden name as a new middle name and she took his last name as her new middle name. It's worked for them - and in its way is also very representative of their marriage, which is kind of nice.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this helps....But..

If you want a legal name change (first, middle, last, etc.)...You can also do so if/when you apply for US Naturalization/Citizenship....

So if you want to wait awhile to decide, you can pursue this option later on when you get this done too....

It's included in the $675 fee....US Citizenship + Name Change.....2 for 1 deal.....:thumbs:

Hope this helps too. Good luck with the name changes.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I have been trying to figure out if this is true or not. People in this thread have mentioned that it was something you have to pay for - as in, filling out forms.

What is the story on this? Is it a state-by-state issue?

I'm still curious about the questions I asked on page 2; a response would be appreciated. :)

I tried to do a search and it seems it is state by state, but I think that refers to name changes for reasons other than marriage or adoption. I did a quick search for changing your name on your ss card and it does seem that the evidence (marriage cert) must be current, 2 years. I'm sure there is a way after that, but I don't know what it is. But once you get the SSN in your new name, nothing else should cost more than replacement costs. If you were changing your name from Moon Unit Zappa to Mary Smith because you don't like Moon Unit (who could blame you) it would be more involved.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

Now, what about the other way around. There is a guy I used to work with, he actually took her name. At first he was just going to take her name, but ended up hyphenating his name with hers. He was teased mercilessly with comments like "So, what does your husband think about you wearing a suit to work". I like to think of myself as progressive, but I think that is a bit too much for me.

I knew someone in the Czech Republic who did this. Czechs just went by first names until the Austro-Hungarian authorities demanded they choose surnames. In retaliation and to show their disdain for their invaders, they chose some pretty silly names - names like cream, eggs, and in the case of this man, his forefathers had chosen c*nt. I sooooooo understand why he changed his name when he got married.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I knew someone in the Czech Republic who did this. Czechs just went by first names until the Austro-Hungarian authorities demanded they choose surnames. In retaliation and to show their disdain for their invaders, they chose some pretty silly names - names like cream, eggs, and in the case of this man, his forefathers had chosen c*nt. I sooooooo understand why he changed his name when he got married.

I suppose that is appropriate there, but this the the U.S., and a man changing his surname to that of his spouse is a bit more taboo. I've only known one person who did it and heard about another two anecdotally. All three were teased mercilessly, by co-workers, family, and friends.

Timeline

I tried to do a search and it seems it is state by state, but I think that refers to name changes for reasons other than marriage or adoption. I did a quick search for changing your name on your ss card and it does seem that the evidence (marriage cert) must be current, 2 years. I'm sure there is a way after that, but I don't know what it is. But once you get the SSN in your new name, nothing else should cost more than replacement costs. If you were changing your name from Moon Unit Zappa to Mary Smith because you don't like Moon Unit (who could blame you) it would be more involved.

Thanks for the insight. :)

I've tried checking various websites and I think the easiest thing for me to do is ask the state/county office that my marriage is documented at.

I'll just make one huge, all-purpose phone call when my renewed passport is mailed back to me. That way I can ask about my first name - if they goofed it - and how the heck the state of Tennessee handles things, plus asking if TN's "rules" apply if you are living in another state (but were wed in TN). :blink:

TGFVJ!

(Thank Goodness for Visa Journey!) :lol:(L)

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this helps....But..

If you want a legal name change (first, middle, last, etc.)...You can also do so if/when you apply for US Naturalization/Citizenship....

So if you want to wait awhile to decide, you can pursue this option later on when you get this done too....

It's included in the $675 fee....US Citizenship + Name Change.....2 for 1 deal.....:thumbs:

Hope this helps too. Good luck with the name changes.

Ant

Thank you, too, for the insight!

I suppose the form you are talking about is N-400?

That would make things easier, perhaps. Certainly something I'll have to remember. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there folks, interesting thread.

I have a rather naive question to ask. :blush:

I got married in the state of Tennessee. After the marriage certificate was issued, I do not recall filling out any additional paperwork, nor do I have any paperwork in my possession to indicate a name change.

Now, here's the naivety... In talking to other people, I got under the impression that my maiden name was replaced by my husband's surname upon marriage. Is this true? I have relatives who, I do not think, ended up filing any paperwork but have since marriage used their husband's surname.

See the following for Common Law Rule (which now has me more confused)

http://marriage.about.com/od/namechange/g/commonlawrule.htm

I have been signing documents using my husband's surname - nothing major mind you.

Should I stop using this new signature and sign my maiden name?

As for all of those AOS papers I've been working on - should I use my maiden name?

Did anyone get hassled at their interviews for keeping their maiden name rather than switching?

I like my last name a lot (it is Italian). I dislike my first name for it is hyphenated and has caused me so much trouble. In fact, it seems my marriage certificate may be filled incorrectly despite my best efforts at talking very slow and explaining things as clearly as possible. I believe they've put my name as "BLAH- BLAH" - there should be no space after the hyphen and it seems like they put the second "BLAH" as a middle name rather than a continuation of my first name. Unfortunately, I need to renew my passport before I can pursue this, in case I need to fix my marriage certificate (which will require ID faxed). Passport will remain in maiden name as I have no documents of evidence to show surname change; marriage certificate is not primary evidence but may be requested.

What did you sign your marriage certificate with? With your new name (the last name of your new husband) or with your maiden name? I would think you should be signing all documents with whatever name you signed on your marriage certificate (changed or not, as the case may be).

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you, too, for the insight!

I suppose the form you are talking about is N-400?

That would make things easier, perhaps. Certainly something I'll have to remember. :)

Tick Tock- You're welcome. Yes, I am talking about the N-400: Application for Naturalization form (you can find a copy of that on the USCIS website, if you want to see and print out for yourself). There is a section on the first page of it that says "do you want a name change" (or something along those lines)...Just checkmark "yes" and fill in the "new (first, middle, last) names" you want to change to....And when you say your oath (note: it has to be a judicial oath, in front of an immigration judge in a court) they will recognize that "new name", as well your new "US Citizenship status" too. That "new name" will appear on your naturalization/citizenship certificate....And then you can use that certificate to update various government agencies (social security, driver's license, passport, etc.) and others about your new name...

And yes, it's perfectly legal to do...:) And it is a great 2 for 1 deal from the USCIS! (and others have done it before too...see the US Citizenship VJ forum for further examples from VJers)....

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

P.S. As for getting married and then changing your name...You can use your married last name whenever you want to, regardless. That's legal and perfectly fine to do. Just make sure you fill out all your paperwork (for example, all immigration related paperwork) with your married last name, and show your marriage certificate if need be. Hope this helps too.

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

What did you sign your marriage certificate with? With your new name (the last name of your new husband) or with your maiden name? I would think you should be signing all documents with whatever name you signed on your marriage certificate (changed or not, as the case may be).

The marriage certificate I have has both of our names (husband's name and my own) filled in via computer; we have no signatures on the certificate, anywhere. My name is recorded as a maiden name, and I do not recall being given instructions to write down my name with my husband's surname. The only fields handwritten is the Reverend's signature, the county clerk's signature and the day of our wedding. I got married in an area that has a lot of wedding-based tourism; I think they computerize what they can because of the sheer volume they have to deal with. :(

I honestly don't have any other wedding documentation other than this marriage certificate.

I will most definitely be calling the county office to get any possible issues with my name and/or the certificate straightened out when I get my renewed passport. Simply to be on the safe side, rather than get a RFE later on.

I should have had more of a critical eye; teaches me to trust "the professionals". :bonk:

Tick Tock- You're welcome. Yes, I am talking about the N-400: Application for Naturalization form (you can find a copy of that on the USCIS website, if you want to see and print out for yourself). There is a section on the first page of it that says "do you want a name change" (or something along those lines)...Just checkmark "yes" and fill in the "new (first, middle, last) names" you want to change to....And when you say your oath (note: it has to be a judicial oath, in front of an immigration judge in a court) they will recognize that "new name", as well your new "US Citizenship status" too. That "new name" will appear on your naturalization/citizenship certificate....And then you can use that certificate to update various government agencies (social security, driver's license, passport, etc.) and others about your new name...

And yes, it's perfectly legal to do...:) And it is a great 2 for 1 deal from the USCIS! (and others have done it before too...see the US Citizenship VJ forum for further examples from VJers)....

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

P.S. As for getting married and then changing your name...You can use your married last name whenever you want to, regardless. That's legal and perfectly fine to do. Just make sure you fill out all your paperwork (for example, all immigration related paperwork) with your married last name, and show your marriage certificate if need be. Hope this helps too.

Again, thank you so much Ant+D+BabyA for your response! :D I have this thread bookmarked for future reference. This issue was just mind-boggling to myself because I really did not have much paperwork to do for the wedding and the only documentation I have is the marriage certificate. I started thinking, "well, I didn't ask them to change my name and they didn't ask me if I wanted to have it changed..."

Since the N-400 provides such an opportunity to alter one's name, I'll have to give that a lot of thought. It would be nice to change my name; signify a new start, while keeping my maiden name (my roots) and adopting my husband's surname (my future with him).

It sounds like I will be able to fill out my AOS package using his surname without having to do paperwork to "update" my surname, since such paperwork is unnecessary. My passport will stay in my maiden name for sanity's sake and since I don't have ID to show change like SS card; I can change it later.

Thank you guys. (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.