AandB

Change my name or not??

66 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been trying to figure out if this is true or not. People in this thread have mentioned that it was something you have to pay for - as in, filling out forms.

What is the story on this? Is it a state-by-state issue?

I'm still curious about the questions I asked on page 2; a response would be appreciated. :)

A name change here in Florida costs $356 (as of 4 years ago). I helped a friend get a legal name change. My mom's boss did not change her name after she got married. She later found out because she didn't change it within two years, she would have to pay for a name change through the courts.

So from their experiences, it sounds like you have 2 years to change your name after marriage. I think I read that some where as well, but I don't have any specific links to support it.

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My marriage is going on 5 years. I honestly wonder why they didn't mention anything about a surname change alongside/after marriage, even if it was just to "put it in your ear" as the phrase goes. :blink:

Off topic slightly, but belated congratulations on your wedding Arabella! :)

Edited by Tick Tock

Filed: Other Timeline

The marriage certificate I have has both of our names (husband's name and my own) filled in via computer; we have no signatures on the certificate, anywhere. My name is recorded as a maiden name, and I do not recall being given instructions to write down my name with my husband's surname. The only fields handwritten is the Reverend's signature, the county clerk's signature and the day of our wedding. I got married in an area that has a lot of wedding-based tourism; I think they computerize what they can because of the sheer volume they have to deal with. :(

I honestly don't have any other wedding documentation other than this marriage certificate.

I will most definitely be calling the county office to get any possible issues with my name and/or the certificate straightened out when I get my renewed passport. Simply to be on the safe side, rather than get a RFE later on.

I should have had more of a critical eye; teaches me to trust "the professionals". :bonk:

Again, thank you so much Ant+D+BabyA for your response! :D I have this thread bookmarked for future reference. This issue was just mind-boggling to myself because I really did not have much paperwork to do for the wedding and the only documentation I have is the marriage certificate. I started thinking, "well, I didn't ask them to change my name and they didn't ask me if I wanted to have it changed..."

Since the N-400 provides such an opportunity to alter one's name, I'll have to give that a lot of thought. It would be nice to change my name; signify a new start, while keeping my maiden name (my roots) and adopting my husband's surname (my future with him).

It sounds like I will be able to fill out my AOS package using his surname without having to do paperwork to "update" my surname, since such paperwork is unnecessary. My passport will stay in my maiden name for sanity's sake and since I don't have ID to show change like SS card; I can change it later.

Thank you guys. (F)

TickTock-You're welcome. Glad to be able to help. Lol...Likewise, I've learned too that when it comes to government agencies and businesses, it's best to trust your own instincts than to trust the "professionals"...;)

If it makes you feel any better, my marriage certificate is somewhat messed up too (but that's another story).....As well, I had delays in getting my son's birth certificate, as they sent it to the wrong address.......Oh well....

A note about the AOS/Green Card...Make sure that whatever name you want to use on your Green Card is filled out correctly on the AOS forms. It will cost another $350+ for a replacement green card if you want your name changed on that after your green card is issued (except if it is an USCIS error, then it's free then). So think carefully about the name that you want to use on your green card, as that is an important piece of identification, that you will use for years, and is needed for other various things, such as proving immigration status and updating other government agencies and other purposes..

As for using your married name on your green card, no problem. Just fill that out on the forms, with your married name, and enclose a copy of your marriage certificate with your application, and the green card will be issued in your married name.

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

My marriage is going on 5 years. I honestly wonder why they didn't mention anything about a surname change alongside/after marriage, even if it was just to "put it in your ear" as the phrase goes. :blink:

TickTock-I thought they did mention that already? :unsure:

Off topic slightly, but belated congratulations on your wedding Arabella! :)

Arabella-Congrats on your recent wedding too! (F)(L)

I wish you and your new family all the best, and with many happy years to come! :)

What a co-incidence too, that we married at about the same time in the year...Lol...April 28/29.....hmmmm.....

Ant+D+BabyA,

(L)(F)

Thank you.

Your welcome..;)

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

TickTock-I thought they did mention that already? :unsure:

The people whom I spoke with (that I had mentioned in a previous post), were relatives. My mother-in-law was one person whom I asked, but I believe she was married in a different state than I was married in. At the time of the wedding, within the actual office where I filled out the paperwork, I was not told about surname changes (how it is done, if it is automatic, etc). I have already once called the county in which I was wed, but they told me two things:

1) If any changes had to be made, they would require ID faxed.

2) Since the marriage was not a recent one, they told me to call a different office.

I haven't called the other office because I do not have my renewed passport yet; if ID would be required, I would have to wait until actually having such ID.

I'm sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.