10 posts in this topic

I filed my I601 last December and today received a request to give my fingerprints again because USCIS say they have expired. Although they've already had at least four sets of my fingerprints, my question is this: Does anybody know if that is a purely procedural request based on expiration of the original prints or could I read anything into it, such as, they wouldn't ask for more prints if they were planning on saying no etc. They haven't asked for more biometrics, just the prints, and I'm at a loss as to why they would ask for more prints if they were ultimately going to refuse my I601.

I realise any answer will contain a certain amount of 'guesswork' and I totally understand that but I was nonetheless curious as to whether anything could be read into the request or I was simply seeing things that aren't there.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mike100

I was tempted to be sarcastic but I'll resist the urge, other than to say I am aware they sometimes ask: 'Cause they can.'

As for the new medical, I'm led to beileve a medical remains good as long as it was submitted to USCIS within one year of it being taken. If USCIS then take two years to adjudicate the case, you don't automatically have to take two more medicals.

Maybe they'll ask for another medical 'cause they can' huh?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

They do continue to ask and it does sometimes correlate to an approval, but not always . . .sometimes they are just preparing and have no idea of the outcome. Really, you can't read into it.

I601's take anywhere from 3 day approval in CDJ to a year or more. I would look on bright side and presume if its been 6 months that it is getting close to approval time. :0

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, where are you supposed to go for the updated prints?

And did you receive a letter or a phone call?

Is your case "under review" or "pending" on the list?

I was told that the visa unit makes sure that everything is in order in the file before it is handed on up the line for adjudication. So you would THINK that everything should already be in there that they need for adjudication. I'm really confused why they would want "updated" fingerprints anyhow - did your fingers change? Did you grow a new one? :lol: Strange, isn't it?

I will say, though, that at each step of this process, we seemed to be missing stuff that should have already been in our file, as we submitted it. When my husband went to his interview, they didn't have our AOS packet, so God knows where it went. Then when we went to London's I-601 waiver list, it was noticed that our G325s had expired in the interim, & we were asked to submit new ones.

I'm sorry I can't really answer your question, but I am happy that they appear to be actually working on someone's case, as it's been a long, dry spell for the 601s. The fact taht yours was submitted in December gives me hope, as mine was as well. Didn't actually make it to London until February, but, I have to cling to whatever tiny shreds of hope come my way.

In any event, best wishes for a happy ending from a fellow sufferer in Hell.

Married 2008

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5/21/09 - filed I-130

12/7/09 - Interview (denied for 28 yr old CIMT); filed waiver same day

6/18/10 - I-601 Waiver Denied, added misrep for checking wrong box on landing card (lifetime ban)

7/16/10 - AAO Appeal filed.

8/31/12 - AAO appeal sustained (THANK YOU, GOD FOR YOUR MERCY)

10/8/12 - USCIS sent file to Consulate

11/28/12 - Visa in hand

12/10/12 - HERE AT LAST! (ALL GLORY TO GOD!)

Thnks J, I appreciate your kind words, best of luck to you too.

I went and had my prints taken again today, they sent a letter and in that letter they gave me a choice of six different places so I went to the closest one which is where I've now been five times I think (Van Nuys, CA)

The phrases "under review" or "pending" were nowhere to be found, all the heading says is "Referral for Fingerprints."

I take your point about growing new fingers, it does seem odd, but having done a small amount of research there are a number of reasons as to why they would ask for more. The best case scenario is they are going to approve it and they want updated prints for my I.D. card. Although I actually think that's a long shot, it is at least plausible. The most likely scenario is it's nothing more than the fact the prints have indeed 'expired' and this was flagged during the routine process of the I601 and the computer informed the human my prints were out of date. If I had to bet, that would be the most likely scenario. Other reasons could include (but not limited to) 1) Making sure I'm actually still here in country, 2) Making sure they have up to date prints because they are going to say no and issue a deportation notice and they therefore want to make sure they have the most up-to-date info, or 3) They need fresh prints because I've 'passed' to this point and they want to check my prints one more time to 'tick that box, or 4) The idiot from Pakistan who tried to bomb Times Square, who only went through this exact same process just one-year-ago, has forced USCIS to implement a policy of requesting fresh prints at whatever chance they get. Although I think that's unlikely, there's no doubt that that guy has set us all back in some shape or form because of his actions.

Bottom line is, at least I know they are working the case, which at least gives me hope of an early conclusion one way or another. I'll let you know. Having read your history we do seem to have a couple of things in common so if you'd like to send me a PM i'd be happy to discuss it there or even discuss here if you're ok with that, I too have five minor convictions that are twenty years old and i'd be interested to know your background as a comparison.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Edited by Mike100

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

The phrases "under review" or "pending" were nowhere to be found, all the heading says is "Referral for Fingerprints."

Ah, okay, I guess I assumed you were being adjudicated at the London USCIS office. Thank your lucky stars you aren't, because the completions have slowed to a trickle.

I hope it's good news for you and not the precursor to a deportation notice. Let's just assume it's good until we know for sure, okay? The alternative is too much to think about. :D

Did the Times Square bomber have to file a 601 waiver? Or did he get in on a student visa?

You're right. At least they are working on it.

I'll PM you. You're welcome to join us in the London 601 Waiver thread for our bi-weekly tantrums. :P

Married 2008

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5/21/09 - filed I-130

12/7/09 - Interview (denied for 28 yr old CIMT); filed waiver same day

6/18/10 - I-601 Waiver Denied, added misrep for checking wrong box on landing card (lifetime ban)

7/16/10 - AAO Appeal filed.

8/31/12 - AAO appeal sustained (THANK YOU, GOD FOR YOUR MERCY)

10/8/12 - USCIS sent file to Consulate

11/28/12 - Visa in hand

12/10/12 - HERE AT LAST! (ALL GLORY TO GOD!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.