AZSUN

K-1 versus CR-1

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, we did both. Actually, we did a K1 and a K3. In those days, K3's were still faster than CR1 and, when it finally came to it, this mattered.

Although we were sure we would get married, we did the K1 because she wasn't sure she could live in the USA. And it would be difficult for me to practice my professional in Russia, so my moving there was problematic. (I did spend 16 months there over the first 5 years of our courtship and we did meet in person, at her workplace.) So, she came here, looked around for about 60 days, assured me that we were still engaged and would probably get married, and went home to think about it some more. She's a smart, cautious woman, who looks carefully before she leaps.

Then, we got married. A second K1 would have been a hassle, so we figured out how to get married (no small chore, given the circumstances) and did the K3.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

I would speculate more people do K-1 than CR-1 to be strictly a financial decision.

The vast majority of folks here on VJ (and in the VJ process) are going to import a significant other. They're not looking to move there and they're not planning on retaining ties to the home country other than a casual visit every few years. Plain and simply put - there's no incentive to remain tied to the home country.

The majority of folks who import a spouse have, from day one, planned on bringing their spouse here. Regardless of the "we could live anywhere because we're in love" arguments, love doesn't pay the bills and people by their very nature are somewhat greedy. People will live where they have the nicest life. 99.9% of couples will have a nicer life here in the U.S. and that's why they've choosen to import their spouse instead of join them and jump through all the hoops for their spouse's home country. Even of those who do CR-1 or other visas, very seldom do you see the USC "immigrating" to the other country in any manner, be that a green card equivalent, citizenship, or anything more than the occasional "well, she added my name to the flat after we got our marriage apostilled."

Most folks simply cannot afford to abstain from employment while seeking a spouse in a foreign country and jumping through whatever hoops are required to establish (even temporary)residence there. So, they go the K-1 route.

There are numerous cases of folks here on VJ who will try to retain somewhat of a life in both countries but those cases are fewer and farther between than the standard "I flew over there once or twice then she came here" couples. Of the couples who did establish somewhat of a life there typically the man is employed internationally or of an age where employment doesn't need to be retained here in the U.S. to sustain the American household.

While there are advantages of CR-1 (which you listed in your original post) the CR-1 is almost always much more expensive in overall cost. K-1 is a flight or two over for "vacation" and then you have an "import fee" whereas a CR-1 you typically have several flights over, extended stays, marriage fees, and then still get hit with the "immigration fee" as well. (And possibly some marriage fees here too.)

Back in my day, the K-1 beneficiary could get a work stamp in their passport upon arrival at POE. That meant they could hit the ground running here and the financial burden would be lessened even moreso. Nowadays it's not possible so you're looking at several months lag time before the beneficiary can start working. As said, with the CR-1 that isn't an issue but the same several months will be spent in the home country, not the U.S.

With the fees increasing and the work stamp not being issued anymore, the K-1 doesn't have the same advantage it used to. The only advantage of getting the K-1 now is it's "easy" on the petitioner in that you only have to make one trip to meet the "met within the past two years" requirement. With the CR-1 you'll have advantages after her arrival in the U.S., but it's going to cost a lot more on the front end and take longer on the back end.

As said by the other posters (who basically said the same thing they just enjoy arguing with each other) you should evaluate what's best for your situation. I will recommend, as always, that you spend time only in this forum instead of the K-1 or other forums. Russia/FSU has so many "special" little things about the VJ process that you'll be better off coming here than getting confused by the numerous "this one time in Manila" stories.

Welcome. Good luck. And don't hesitate to ask any and all questions.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I would speculate more people do K-1 than CR-1 to be strictly a financial decision.

What I hear Slim saying is most men can't afford to travel to Russia very many times so they "import" a wife via the quicker and cheaper K-1 route. Well...that's a good argument and probably true but the cost differences are probably less than you might guess.

Concerning the number of necessary trips overseas, I hear about many K-1 guys making the extra trip back to Russia to be with their fiancee during her (his) interview which the consulate allows. After I married my wife and returned home to the US, she went to her interview alone and flew to the US by herself. So, I probably made no more trips than many of the K-1 guys. One reason I didn't go back for the interview is the American spouse is not allowed to be at the interview which limits the importance of being there. And after the interview, my wife had to return home and handle a number of things before she could come to the US.

I also wonder about the other costs for guys who only travel once but, to compensate, send their fiancee money each month for telephone, internet cafes, flowers, gifts, English lessons, and even living expenses. And then there are the costs of long-distance calls, often to mobile phones which add up fast. I know men who talk for hours to their fiancees almost daily and rack up big phone bills. And, it is a fact that the USCIS fees are higher for the K-1 visa. I think someone said about $400. So, let's remember airfare and Russian visas are not the only expense men incur in their quest to marry FSU wives.

Slim also seemed to connect CR-1 visas with starting a life in Russia. I hear men talking about moving the Russia or the Ukraine but I don't know of any who've actually moved overseas after meeting their future wife. The only VJ RUB guy I know of who moved to Russia for a year was Kazan Tiger, who the old timers here probably remember. He moved there to be with his "reluctant" fiancee. If I remember correctly, Kazan knew his fiancee for about 5 years which is almost unheard of in the MOB world. Interestingly, Kazan did not marry in Russia but went K-1.

Yes, it probably does cost more to marry in Russia but the differences are not necessarily large. And CR-1 filers have no intention to actually live overseas...they just choose to marry in their wife's home country for various good reasons.

The majority of cost associated with the whole process is going to be time away from gainful employment in the U.S. - and that's where K-1 kicks CR-1's butt any day. (Where were you, visaveteran prior to doing your visa and for how long?)

Kazan Tiger was gainfully employed in Russia. Several other past and current RUB forum members have spent significant time in FSU and to a man, they're either employed while there or of an age where employment isn't necessary (pension, savings, etc.)

If you're in a situation where taking a few weeks off work isn't an issue, CR-1 all day. But, if you can't afford to "hang out" in Russia for more than a week or two, K-1 is best.

And if you're sending your girl a monthly allowance.... uh..........

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What I hear Slim saying is most men can't afford to travel to Russia very many times so they "import" a wife via the quicker and cheaper K-1 route. Well...that's a good argument and probably true but the cost differences are probably less than you might guess.

Concerning the number of necessary trips overseas, I hear about many K-1 guys making the extra trip back to Russia to be with their fiancee during her (his) interview which the consulate allows. After I married my wife and returned home to the US, she went to her interview alone and flew to the US by herself. So, I probably made no more trips than many of the K-1 guys. One reason I didn't go back for the interview is the American spouse is not allowed to be at the interview which limits the importance of being there. And after the interview, my wife had to return home and handle a number of things before she could come to the US.

I also wonder about the other costs for guys who only travel once but, to compensate, send their fiancee money each month for telephone, internet cafes, flowers, gifts, English lessons, and even living expenses. And then there are the costs of long-distance calls, often to mobile phones which add up fast. I know men who talk for hours to their fiancees almost daily and rack up big phone bills. And, it is a fact that the USCIS fees are higher for the K-1 visa. I think someone said about $400. So, let's remember airfare and Russian visas are not the only expense men incur in their quest to marry FSU wives.

Slim also seemed to connect CR-1 visas with starting a life in Russia. I hear men talking about moving the Russia or the Ukraine but I don't know of any who've actually moved overseas after meeting their future wife. The only VJ RUB guy I know of who moved to Russia for a year was Kazan Tiger, who the old timers here probably remember. He moved there to be with his "reluctant" fiancee. If I remember correctly, Kazan knew his fiancee for about 5 years which is almost unheard of in the MOB world. Interestingly, Kazan did not marry in Russia but went K-1.

Yes, it probably does cost more to marry in Russia but the differences are not necessarily large. And CR-1 filers have no intention to actually live overseas...they just choose to marry in their wife's home country for various good reasons.

I lived there for two years, worked, made tons of money (was fabulously wealthy by Ukrainian standards) and surveyed a few women (the actual number escaped me after a few weeks...who counts?) but never got married or engaged. I could have done a DCF had I found the right girl early enough.But I settled for fun with the wrong girls until I met Alla. And what?

The Ukrainian residency requirements for a marriage license are easily met...$100 and a 20 minute wait in the hallway will do the trick, maybe less in the more rural Oblasti.

The costs were never an issue, I never cared a bit, and I made 6 trips to Ukraine during the process, about every 6 weeks. This had nothing to do with the visa we chose, I just wanted to go that often, so I did, We CHOSE the K-1 because it was the best route for us. It fit our needs and plans the best. It is now long over and done and water under the bridge and could not possibly make any difference in our marriage now.

Any argument other than what the visa offers or doesn't offer under it's terms, are simply imaginary and we may as well argue how many ghosts can dance on the head of a pin. The cost difference between them (if any) isn;t enough to think about when you consider it is a lifetime relationship and this is just the beginning. I plan to live with my family a long time, unless I die sooner. And how will $400 or $1000 or $2000 make a difference in that? Who cares? And if I die before...who cares? It is just a non-issue, other than whether or not you need your spouse to work right away, or she just really wants to marry in her country or she has children age 18-20, there really is nothing else to choose.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.