carvin317

Help

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My passport expires in June and I need to renew it. I just got my green card and currently living in the united states. I found the website on how to renew the passport, but have a few questions.

1) Nobody in the states cuts photos for Canadian passports. Can i cut them myself. I went to Costco and they did gave me photos a little larger than the required size. They said they dont have the machine to cut it.

2) Guarantor- My aunt is a nurse does the qualify as a medical doctor ? If not who can I use if I dont know anyone personally.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you can measure and cut the pictures yourself. the quality and standard of the pictures in both countries are the same so no worries there. i had to do it recently and had no problems.

also i believe and someone can correct me if i'm wrong, that you can use someone who has had a passport for 5 years or more as your guarantor. i think they just changed that. ( i hope i'm not wrong)

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Timeline

do they have to have a canadian passport for 5 years. Like i said we are in the US. But if it is american or canadian that would be easy.

Since your Passport is not yet expired, you should be able to use the new Simplified passport renewal rules. HERE

No Guarantor needed under the new rules.

well i got married so my last name changed :(

do they have to have a canadian passport for 5 years. Like i said we are in the US. But if it is american or canadian that would be easy.

Well you didnt say THAT! ;)

You will definitely have to get it with the same name as your GC and other ID. Or travel will become a nightmare :(

Regarding the passport photo, for the image itself, the Canadian standard is much higher. There can't be any shadows anywhere in the photo (ie.background, on ears, under eyes), there also cannot be any shine on your face. I would e-mail the Canadian Consulate in your state and ask if they can recommend a photographer who can take the proper photo to size and image quality (they do have this info and they will let you know). Many folks have their passport applications returned due to a rejected photo.....yet they will keep the appl. money.

For gaurnator, you do need one, but they have changed it from certain individuals (a lawyer, judge, teacher etc...) to any one who has known you for 2 yrs, has a valid Canadian passport and has known you for 2 years. * The gaurantor must also sign the back of one of your photos, stating that it is a true likness of you and date it. They must also sign the application.

I hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am doing the same thing and i plan to use either my brother or my father as the guarantor. I need to change my name as well.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I forgot (well actually made a typo) the gaurantor must have posessed a Canadian passport for 5 years also...on top off what I already wrote. I hope this helps as I had to do a name change also on my passport.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since your Passport is not yet expired, you should be able to use the new Simplified passport renewal rules. HERE

No Guarantor needed under the new rules.

I was going to say, use Simplified Rules, just like SupportGeek recommended, but since you have changed your name, it won't be that simple.

In terms of getting right size photos for your Canadian passport, I can tell you what I did because I had the exactly same problem (probably like most of expatriates).

After failing at Costco, I went to Kinkos. This camera they use at Kinkos is preset for American passports. However, the trick is how to manipulate the camera. I bet those who work at the passport photo dept. at Kinkos in your neighbourhood know how to do that. That's how I got mine done (in perfect dimensions) and my brand new passport arrived with no issue. Good luck.

Yes! I am approved!!! :)

It took only two (2) months to be approved. Hooray!

Timeline

December 5, 2009 - I-485 application was submitted.

January 12, 2010 - I-485 application was re-submitted due to address error.

January 20, 2010 - I-485 application receipt notice arrived.

January 25, 2010 - Biometrics notice arrived.

February 9, 2010 - Biometrics taken at local USCIS office.

March 5, 2010 - Initial Interview notice arrived.

April 15, 2010 - Employment Authorization Card arrived out of blue.

April 29, 2010 - Initial Interview scheduled and... APPROVED!!! :) Conditional GC will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

April 30, 2010 - SSN reactivated. Newly printed card will arrive in 3-5 days.

May 7, 2010 - Welcome Notice arrived! Hooray! :)

May 8, 2010 - Freshly printed SSN card arrived.

May 26, 2010 - Conditional GC issued.

June 1, 2010 - Conditional GC ARRIVED! Yippee! :)

June 2, 2010 - SSN upgraded. Newly printed card will arrive in a week.

June 9, 2010 - Freshly printed SSN arrived.

October 10, 2011 - I-751 petition was submitted.

October 18, 2011 - I-751 petition was returned. It turned out to be USCIS's error sending it back to me.

October 19, 2011 - I-751 petition was re-submitted.

October 26, 2011 - I-751 petition receipt notice arrived.

November 18, 2011 - Biometrics taken at local USCIS office.

December 27, 2011 - I-751 petition Approval letter was issued.

December 28, 2011 - I-751 petition Approval letter arrived

December 29, 2011 - GC was issued.

December 30, 2011 - GC arrived.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well you didnt say THAT! ;)

You will definitely have to get it with the same name as your GC and other ID. Or travel will become a nightmare :(

zis is just not true. I have never changed the name on my passport. The name on your birth certificate is still - and always will be a legal name for you to use :)

Timeline

Regarding the passport photo, for the image itself, the Canadian standard is much higher. There can't be any shadows anywhere in the photo (ie.background, on ears, under eyes), there also cannot be any shine on your face. I would e-mail the Canadian Consulate in your state and ask if they can recommend a photographer who can take the proper photo to size and image quality (they do have this info and they will let you know). Many folks have their passport applications returned due to a rejected photo.....yet they will keep the appl. money.

For gaurnator, you do need one, but they have changed it from certain individuals (a lawyer, judge, teacher etc...) to any one who has known you for 2 yrs, has a valid Canadian passport and has known you for 2 years. * The gaurantor must also sign the back of one of your photos, stating that it is a true likness of you and date it. They must also sign the application.

I hope this helps.

what do I do if we are in America and nobody has a canadian passport that we have known for two years. Can I sign it? I have had an American Passport for 5 years or does it have to be canadian that is where I am struggling.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

what do I do if we are in America and nobody has a canadian passport that we have known for two years. Can I sign it? I have had an American Passport for 5 years or does it have to be canadian that is where I am struggling.

Has to be a Canadian passport.

You really only have 2 choices. Don't change the name on your passport or call and get form PPT 132, Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Timeline

Well you didnt say THAT! wink.gif

You will definitely have to get it with the same name as your GC and other ID. Or travel will become a nightmare sad.gif

I didn't change my name. And I've never had a travel nightmare. :)

Now, having said that, I've pretty much guaranteed a travel nightmare on my next trip. :lol: However, I now have a Nexus pass. :P

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.