1American1

My First Visit To Ukraine!

66 posts in this topic

Sure he can. I never disagreed with that and my opinion only applies to me. I just wouldn't do a pre-nup or snub my wife or children, ANY of them. I do not say it is morally better, it is just how I am.

However to correct your math just a little...

Lets say I have $100 right now. If I die Alla gets it all. The kids get nothing. I trust her to give whatever is left when SHE dies to the 4 boys. So you could say that, right now, if I die the kids get "nothing"

IF, on the other hand, Alla and I got divorced we would each have $50. If THEN I died, each of "my" kids would get $25, so they are actually money ahead, at this point, if I get divorced than if we stay married. They "lost" their inheritance when I got married again. Too bad for them. I share my life with my wife. We, together, as parents care for children and grandchildren. Before she left, Alla bought a huge amount of stuff for OUR grandchild who's 1st birthday will come and go while she is gone and sent it off to OUR son. So some of the kid's "inheritance" just got given away to the grandson. Oh well.

OK look. It just sounds to me like you are either passing a moral judgement on some one, or just making another statement about how much you love your wife and how close you are. If the latter, more power to ya. As for the math, why not prove how great it all is and just transfer everything into Alla's sole name now? Its all the same anyway, right? My point is still that you can do whatever you want, we all can. If it's legal there is not a thing wrong with it.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You have an attitude problem that's very clear to see by your snide comments that add nothing to your posts. If you're genuinely displeased, find the nearest exit. If you want to challenge somebody, act like a man and speak up.

I would like to be a man and speak up. I would like to challenge you.

I have an attitude problem?? Gimme a break.

You mean snide comments like "Disingenuous" and "You talk sideways"? Gimme another break.

Or, as another poster did, use the ignore feature. No one's forcing you to read this stuff.

Great idea! I just added you to my ignore list. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure you'll come up with great retort but, alas, I won't see it...

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OK look. It just sounds to me like you are either passing a moral judgement on some one, or just making another statement about how much you love your wife and how close you are. If the latter, more power to ya. As for the math, why not prove how great it all is and just transfer everything into Alla's sole name now? Its all the same anyway, right? My point is still that you can do whatever you want, we all can. If it's legal there is not a thing wrong with it.

Ok. :unsure:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I married my wife in Russia, so if I get divorced it would get very interesting.

Anyway, in my state there is marital property and non marital property. Anything owned prior to marriage is non marital property. So the only thing we'd split are things obtained after the marriage. I can live with that. So, all this talk of a 50-50 split of everything is not always the case.

Does it matter where you got married? I thought that you followed the divorce law of the state you're filing for divorce in, not where the marriage took place. If your marriage is legally recognized by the United States, it shouldn't matter if you got married in the United States or in Russia--although going through a divorce in Russia would be far cheaper and faster!

Первый блин комом.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Does it matter where you got married? I thought that you followed the divorce law of the state you're filing for divorce in, not where the marriage took place. If your marriage is legally recognized by the United States, it shouldn't matter if you got married in the United States or in Russia--although going through a divorce in Russia would be far cheaper and faster!

If the Russian citizen returns home prior to the divorce process concluding, with no intention of returning to the US, then it might get interesting. Otherwise, yes, the state laws would apply. You're right, it is much faster and cheaper getting divorced in Russia. I hope I never need to worry about it, but I would probably go to Russia for a divorce.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.