spcamp

If K3 is approved how long to enter U.S.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

My wife and I married in the U.S. last year while she was on a visitors visa. Shortly after marrying her mom was diagnosed with cancer. We decided that she should return to her home country, Kyrgyzstan, to help take care of her mom. Just before she left we filled out and mailed our I-130 form with all supporting documents such as the two G-325a forms, marriage certificate with translation, copies of everything else required, etc along with the processing fee.

I received the I-797 approval this week. I was elated. But my wife and her mother are both very concerned. If after filling out the forms at the consulate and going through the interviews she is approved to come to the U.S. will she have to leave Kyrgyzstan immediately? She is the main caretaker of her mother right now and she can't just up and leave. Will she be given a set amount of time, like 60 days, to come to the U.S. or will she be able to stay there until she is ready to leave?

Typically for K-1 and K-3 visas you have 6 months from the date of approval to enter the US. You have to be careful and check the actual date in the visa when it is issued.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Typically for K-1 and K-3 visas you have 6 months from the date of approval to enter the US. You have to be careful and check the actual date in the visa when it is issued.

Oh boy! This is not correct. K1 has six months to enter but K3 has two years. The problem is that no visa has been approved. The notice mentioned is for petition approval. With the K3 path closed, this will be a CR1 visa case, so yes, six months to enter the USA after visa issue and visa issue is months away. See the CR1 guide and pay attention to the NVC portion of the process including the lingche shortcuts in the Wiki.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Oh boy! This is not correct. K1 has six months to enter but K3 has two years. The problem is that no visa has been approved. The notice mentioned is for petition approval. With the K3 path closed, this will be a CR1 visa case, so yes, six months to enter the USA after visa issue and visa issue is months away. See the CR1 guide and pay attention to the NVC portion of the process including the lingche shortcuts in the Wiki.

I guess I have more research to do. I don't know why the K3 path is closed. I guess they don't issue that type of visa anymore. Thanks for the answer. I told her it would be months before the consulate makes a decision, and they don't have to approve us. But she is worried because her mom is worried. I will check the CR1 guide.

Timeline

WOW. The CR-1 guide answered all of my questions and gave me extremely valuable information. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.