Michelleaye

Engaged to a wonderful Sudanese man

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

Greetings all! I have recently joined VJ and first of all would like to wish you all luck with your processes. I am American and my fiance is Sudanese and I have just filed the I-129F and from what I have read we are definatly in for a real bumpy ride, which makes me nervous and advice for a Newbie? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks bundles.

Michelle

Make sure you stay connected with your fiance by talking about things 'other than' this process. When things get overwhelming, you will have that to fall back on.

Patience, patience, patience.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
Make sure you stay connected with your fiance by talking about things 'other than' this process. When things get overwhelming, you will have that to fall back on.

Patience, patience, patience.

Jen

Jen, Thanks a bunch for your advice. GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! I guess I have just been so naive about how long and what a hassle this was all gonna be. ITS CRAZY. Thanks again and food luck to you.

Michelle

Hi Michelle, welcome to VJ and patience is definitely going to be needed and research, over and over again, read all the faqs at the top of here and ask questions but do your research too.

Good luck to you both :thumbs:

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey, welcome to the board. I don't think we have any american/sudanese couplese at the moment.

I hope we can help. You'll probably experience a lot of the same things we have. Men from this region face increased scrutiny, especially in security processing.

There's something tickling in the back of my mind that some/maybe all Sudanese go through Cairo. If you guys do end up going through the consulate in Cairo, there are plenty of people who can help with that :)

Good luck and I hope your VJ is a smooth one.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline

Michelle,

Trust me when I say none of us had even a glimmer of a clue what a ride we were facing when we started this journey. I'm not saying that to scare you, just agreeing with you. It's an amazing ride. There will be ups and downs, and know people here understand and are very willing to offer any type of support they are able.

Prepare yourself for a wait. As you can see from many of our personal stories, some go quickly and some go on and on and on. There is no guessing really. But you find you can always muster another ounce or so of strength and do what you have to do.

JenT offered what is probably the most valuable advice anyone can give you. Stay together, stay strong, and communicate. Remember who you were together before a visa was ever discussed. That is who you are and no visa journey can change it.

Another good advice might possibly be to read, read and read some more. Knowledge conquers fear. The more you bone up on this process, the less anxiety you are likely to face.

And if you face anxiety anyway and just want a shoulder to cry on or rage at we're here for you. I think I am currently the thread drama queen with my recent meltdown, so take it from a pro. Haha.

Nice to have you aboard. Welcome. (F)

Hey, welcome to the board. I don't think we have any american/sudanese couplese at the moment.

I hope we can help. You'll probably experience a lot of the same things we have. Men from this region face increased scrutiny, especially in security processing.

There's something tickling in the back of my mind that some/maybe all Sudanese go through Cairo. If you guys do end up going through the consulate in Cairo, there are plenty of people who can help with that :)

Rahma,

I think you're right. I think they do go through Cairo.

Welcome Michelle,

I was shocked when I found out it was going to take a long time but after the initial shock I started things going. I am doing a K3. So I just got back for marring the love of my life and sent my I130 overnight on Friday. I am not sure how you are communicating if it is by email, chatting, and by telephone. I want to pass on some useful information that I received when I joined. Make sure that you save emails, archive your chatting if you chat, and save call records. I was buying calling cards to talk to my love by phone....that is a big no no as you can not track the calls. I was introduced to www.mychitchat.com, this is a calling service much like a clling card but it allows you to keep call records and recharge your account online and speed dial your numbers. I know I was paying 45 cents a minute with the calling cards and mychitchat is on 22.9 cents a minute. You may have a better system I am just trying to help you as I was helped. Make sure if you send anything by postal mail that you save all corsepondences as proof of the relationship. Keep all things that will be helpful in proving your relationship. If you haven't met in person you know that is something that needs to happen. I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions I will do my best to help you as I have many friends here that will give me the correct answers. May your journey be a speedy one.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Timeline
Hi Michelle, welcome to VJ and patience is definitely going to be needed and research, over and over again, read all the faqs at the top of here and ask questions but do your research too.

Thanks for the warm welcome. VJ has definatly been a great site to gather info but am sure there is plenty of reserach out there that I need to do and will keep that up. Thanks. :thumbs:

BEAUTIFUL ROTTIES by the way. How precious!! :)

Thanks for the nice welcome. Am glad to be the first American/Sudanese couple. And so far everyones advice has just been AMAZING!! It definatly helps to have ppl that are going through the same thing being there for each other.

My fiance is a resident of the UAE and so am hoping that he will just have to deal with the Embassy in UAE, but who knows.

Thanks again.

Welcome Michelle,

I was shocked when I found out it was going to take a long time but after the initial shock I started things going. I am doing a K3. So I just got back for marring the love of my life and sent my I130 overnight on Friday. I am not sure how you are communicating if it is by email, chatting, and by telephone. I want to pass on some useful information that I received when I joined. Make sure that you save emails, archive your chatting if you chat, and save call records. I was buying calling cards to talk to my love by phone....that is a big no no as you can not track the calls. I was introduced to www.mychitchat.com, this is a calling service much like a clling card but it allows you to keep call records and recharge your account online and speed dial your numbers. I know I was paying 45 cents a minute with the calling cards and mychitchat is on 22.9 cents a minute. You may have a better system I am just trying to help you as I was helped. Make sure if you send anything by postal mail that you save all corsepondences as proof of the relationship. Keep all things that will be helpful in proving your relationship. If you haven't met in person you know that is something that needs to happen. I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions I will do my best to help you as I have many friends here that will give me the correct answers. May your journey be a speedy one.

Ya its a very unexpected surprise when you realize how long this process is 4 real.And the thing is the my father is Ethiopian but my parents have never even thought about this process so.....AHHH!! CONGRATS on your marriage, thats so special.

Will check out mychitchat cuz as u know the phone bills arou outrageous!! And also for proof.

Fortunatly we have been able to meet in person quite a few times and infact will be going to my cousins wedding in Tanzania so will be sure to get plenty of proof from that trip.

Thanks so much for your advice and support. Means alot. Wishin u luck with your I130!!

Congratulations on sending your petition and on the engagement :

My advice? be patient :yes:

Thanks for the advice. Patience is definatly what we are goin to need the most of right now. I wish u luck with your process as well.

Michelle,

Trust me when I say none of us had even a glimmer of a clue what a ride we were facing when we started this journey. I'm not saying that to scare you, just agreeing with you. It's an amazing ride. There will be ups and downs, and know people here understand and are very willing to offer any type of support they are able.

Prepare yourself for a wait. As you can see from many of our personal stories, some go quickly and some go on and on and on. There is no guessing really. But you find you can always muster another ounce or so of strength and do what you have to do.

JenT offered what is probably the most valuable advice anyone can give you. Stay together, stay strong, and communicate. Remember who you were together before a visa was ever discussed. That is who you are and no visa journey can change it.

Another good advice might possibly be to read, read and read some more. Knowledge conquers fear. The more you bone up on this process, the less anxiety you are likely to face.

And if you face anxiety anyway and just want a shoulder to cry on or rage at we're here for you. I think I am currently the thread drama queen with my recent meltdown, so take it from a pro. Haha.

Nice to have you aboard. Welcome. (F)

Thanks alot for the wonderful welcome and great words of truth and advice. Its so true about being knowledgeable about this whole situation and thats whats goign to get us through it all. Its going to take alot of patience, strenght, faith, but what doesnt kill us only makes us stronger.

Oh and I might be joining you on the drama queen list so dont be surprised. It has just amazed me that how something seems like our right can be so complicated. OH WELL, what to do?

Thanks again for the support.

Rahma,

I think you're right. I think they do go through Cairo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.