Liltiggster

Waiting in the US?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am going down for my second trip to see my fiancee at the beginning of June and we are going to be sending off for the K-1 Fiancee Visa. From what I understand from reading tons and researching at some point I will have to have an interview and a medical done, my question is because I can go down to the US for 6 months -1 day in a year, what happens if the interview comes up and I am still down in the US with my fiancee, I am planning to go down for about 4 months. Am I able to do the interview from the US or will I have to go back to Canada to do it?

K1/K2

05/25/2010: Sent off I129-F to CSC

05/27/2010: I129-F Received by CSC

06/02/2010: NOA1 (8 Days)

06/07/2010: Received Hard Copy NOA1

10/19/2010: NOA2 (139 Days since NOA1)

10/25/2010: Hard Copy NOA2 arrived :D And it arrived at NVC :D

10/26/2010: Case Sent to Montreal Consulate.

11/01/2010: Montreal Consulate Received Case, and P3 Sent to US Petitioner

11/08/2010: US Petitioner received P3(20 days since NOA2)

11/10/2010: Sent P3 back through DHL service :D

11/24/2010: Received P4 (14 days since sending P3 Back)

03/08/2011: Interview! (Canceled due to unforeseen circumstances)

CR1/CR2

04/17/2011: Marriage

__/__/2011: Sent off I-130 Package

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am going down for my second trip to see my fiancee at the beginning of June and we are going to be sending off for the K-1 Fiancee Visa. From what I understand from reading tons and researching at some point I will have to have an interview and a medical done, my question is because I can go down to the US for 6 months -1 day in a year, what happens if the interview comes up and I am still down in the US with my fiancee, I am planning to go down for about 4 months. Am I able to do the interview from the US or will I have to go back to Canada to do it?

Hi!

I'm in the same boat of you but I'm way more fare then you!

I receive my interview date in the consulate on montreal for the 19 of may, so in 10 days. Before all that, I was visiting my boyfriend in Michigan couple months at the time.....I had a lot of trouble with the bordel patrol....Maybe you only starting to do you visit but watch out. At my last visit to the US, the bordel totally told me that i'm running my visa when I come often like that. word for word : you are toasted if I block you from the U.S.A. You are not gonna be able to see you fiancé anymore. If I don't let you go, you are not gonna have a interview in may......

WAAAAOOOOOWWW.....I cry like a baby....

I all the time visit my boyfriend often and all the time the bordel give me chit.....I don't know if it's 6 months by year or if the 6 months restart each time I come back.... There don't have one border patrol with the same answer....

So watch out. Me I have to stay in canada until i get my visa. It's fine, in less than a month I gonna be done with all that.

Just be carful.

By the way, the consulate will contact you before you get your appointment, don't worry. You need to do you interview here...

don't #### with then, They can decide ANYTHING......

good luck :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You will need to be in Canada for your interview. You also have police checks to gather and a medical to get done... unless your system is drastically different to ours.

As for the PP, whilst border patrol can SAY that their denial = no fiance interview/visa this is a lie. There was someone who was delayed while they checked out the reason for the denial, but unless you're convicted of illegal activity, all they can do is turn you away for immigrant intent, which is the whole point of the fiancee visa so why would that harm you?

It's unlikely that you'll be staying there for 6 months. My NOA1 to NOA2 was 3 months, then I had to do the medical and police checks, and then they scheduled my interview. So maybe you'll be there 3 months but then you'll be back in Canada till your interview. Make sure you have somewhere to stay when the time comes :D

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

Just so you know (and maybe you already do), as Canadians, technically we are permitted to be in the states for 6 months. However, it's not a green light to go and live with a fiancee for this period of time. Take a look at posts/topics about travel between the states and canada. Some people get denied at the border. Reasons tend to be that the border patrol was suspicous of people moving. So, when you cross, be sure to mention that you're 'visiting' not 'staying' with partner/fiancee. Also, pack light and be prepared to show any documentation of ties to Canada (rent, telephone bills, etc.) that support the fact that you are not intending to move to the states and never return. However, since you're applying for k-1 after you arrive in the states, perhaps crossing will be easier for you. But not always. I have some friends here in the states who are from Canada. One is an international student and one is her partner. The last time he tried to enter the states with her immigration patrol gave him a hard time. He doesn't have any application pending, he's just a canadian crossing the border.

All that being said, I visited my fiance for about 3 months and crossed the border a couple of times within that period. I never experienced any difficulty. I came in through flight and also my fiance came across the border to pick me up. I always packed light, answered questions truthfully and to the point. But usually my visits were broken up, so when asked how long I would be in the states, my answer was always 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had said 3 months. I was worried though, becuase I had no real residence in Canada (aside from my folks) and no job, etc. So I had no evidence of ties. I was always mentally prepared for the possibility of being denied, but again, it never happened. I wish the same luck to you.

Also, I'm not sure through which centers you're applying, but if you're required to go through montreal consulate, be prepared to wait longer than 4 months. If you're planning on sending the k-1 in June, your interview might not be until Jan, Feb or March. I applied in mid-August and was interviewed end of March and my NOA1 and 2 were a bit quicker than normal. If you do happen to get your interview while in the states, you will have to come up to where ever the interview is scheduled. You will also be required to do a medical in Canada by a designated doctor (the list is on here somewhere) and that usually needs to be done a week or so beforehand because you have to wait to get the results and bring them to the interview. Then once you have your interview, and if all goes well, you will wait for your passport with visa in it to be delivered in the mail, which could take up to two weeks. However, where ever you may be, you will have plenty of notice of when your interview is in order to make plans.

Good luck!

You will have to be in Canada for your interview date. Trying to reschedule your appointment might set you back months and months as they don't like to be messed around. You will also need to schedule your medical and arrange to get your police certificate just before the interview too, so it would be best around that time if you stayed in Canada or your fiance could come to you instead?

Aswell, if you are planning to go to the US for a lengthy time, be warned that you may be questioned heavily about why you are vsiting for such a long time. They can even refuse you to stay for the whole length of time. You will also need to provide proof of your ties to Canada and proof that you intend to return (apartment lease, job details etc)

I visited Russ for three months, just before we filed the I-129F last summer and had my payslips, employers letter etc at the ready for passport control.

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.