dcrespo314

Qusetion about work visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello people, im not sure if i am posting this in the correct section if i am not i apologize

My Wife's father is a Citizen of Costa Rica and was recently granted a Ten year (Tourist) visa by the US consulate, now he is interested in getting a work visa/permission to work here in the US, Will this be possible and id so what do we need to do?

I would like to thanks you in advance for any help regarding this matter

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Costa Rica

I-129F Sent : 2009-02-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-02-27

Touched: 2009-03-05

NOA2(s) : 2009/07/30

NVC Received: 2009/08/03

Departed NVC 2009/08/05

Consulate Received 2009/08/07

Interview Date 2009/10/08 Visa granted...:)

What type of work visa was he looking to get?

USCIS Work Visa

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

What type of work visa was he looking to get?

USCIS Work Visa

from what i was able to understand i think he would need an H1B visa, he will be working in the construction field (Roofing, Painting, Dry wall etc)

Departed NVC 2009/08/05

from what i was able to understand i think he would need an H1B visa, he will be working in the construction field (Roofing, Painting, Dry wall etc)

Does he already have a company that will sponsor him?

Construction field has sufficient number of workers - I doubt they will give out H1B for that field...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Does he already have a company that will sponsor him?

Construction field has sufficient number of workers - I doubt they will give out H1B for that field...

well if he gets his papers he can work for my company i have a roofing company, and also his brother in law is an handy man type worker and he will be giving him work also

Departed NVC 2009/08/05

Filed: Other Timeline

He may have a 10-year visa, but he can only stay for a maximum of 6 months. The chances for him to find a sponsor a about a thousand times less than winning the multi-million dollar jackpot in the lottery. Basically, a sponsor would have to file a petition for him, which cost a lot of time and money, proving that there's no American able and willing who can do the job he can do, at a time where 30 million Americans are looking for a job.

Good luck with that one . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

From my read of the H-1B requirments, construction work does not fall under this type of visa, I would think a H-2B visa would be more approriate.

However, there is a quota system for these visas, and you, as the company, would have to sponsor the alien for working with you company. Also, he can only work for the company that sponsored him for the visa.

Here are the steps to apply for this.

NOTE - his "visitors visa" does not allow him to work in the US, if he enters under that visa. (probably has a B-2 - correct?) - by virtue of the visitors visa, he cannot work or accept any payment for work while visiting the US.

If he is caught doing so on this type of visa, he could lose it.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.