JennyZ

Applying for Citizenship

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, and this is a great place to share question and answers. Hopefully I'll find some answers for my application.

Here is my summary:

got my conditional GC at 2005

got removed conditional GC at 2007

got divorced at 2009

(my ex and I, both of us were first marriage)

Now I'm doing my N-400, and here's my Question:

In Part 8 of N-400, I filed "1" in Section A, "N/A" in Section B because currently I'm not married to anyone. But for Section C to G, I'm very confused about questions on my current spouse information. Should I give my ex-spouse information? Because most questions are using present term, like "is your spouse a u.s citizen?", "how many times has your current spouse been married(including annulled marriages)?"

Can anyone help me please, thank you!

post-84920-1273048277322_thumb.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum, and this is a great place to share question and answers. Hopefully I'll find some answers for my application.

Here is my summary:

got divorced at 2009

In Part 8 of N-400, I filed "1" in Section A, "N/A" in Section B because currently I'm not married to anyone. But for Section C to G, I'm very confused about questions on my current spouse information. Should I give my ex-spouse information? Because most questions are using present term, like "is your spouse a u.s citizen?", "how many times has your current spouse been married(including annulled marriages)?"

in what month of 2005 did you get your GC?

you have to fill out section F of part 8, the rest leave blank since you aren't currently married.

section F says: If you were married before, provide the following information about your prior spouse. I also filled out my N400 as divorced. I came to the US as divorced and my mom filed for me as an unmarried child of a USC. I sent in copies of my divorce decree just in case. I'm not sure if it was necessary.

you need to send in copy of your driver's license,and copy of front and back of your GC. and of course, the check.

Hi there!

Here is my summary:

got divorced at 2009

Hi JennyZ and welcome to VJ!!!

Section B needs to be left empty and not N/A. They deal with applications like this all the time so it is not new to them if the section is left empty.

I am sure several people have applied after they got divorced so they will pitch in their method of filling out the form.

Please read the Naturalization Guide http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf it is very helpful and informative. Go to page 48 in this PDF - there is a document checklist.

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

in what month of 2005 did you get your GC?

you have to fill out section F of part 8, the rest leave blank since you aren't currently married.

section F says: If you were married before, provide the following information about your prior spouse. I also filled out my N400 as divorced. I came to the US as divorced and my mom filed for me as an unmarried child of a USC. I sent in copies of my divorce decree just in case. I'm not sure if it was necessary.

you need to send in copy of your driver's license,and copy of front and back of your GC. and of course, the check.

I got my GC on July 20, 2005

So all I have to fill out A and F only? Am I right?

Thank you very much!

Timeline

Hi JennyZ and welcome to VJ!!!

Section B needs to be left empty and not N/A. They deal with applications like this all the time so it is not new to them if the section is left empty.

I am sure several people have applied after they got divorced so they will pitch in their method of filling out the form.

Please read the Naturalization Guide http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf it is very helpful and informative. Go to page 48 in this PDF - there is a document checklist.

So Section B, C, D, E and G have to be left empty instead of N/A? Because the instructions say that "state that an item is not applicable with N/A", I'm kinda confused now~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

So Section B, C, D, E and G have to be left empty instead of N/A? Because the instructions say that "state that an item is not applicable with N/A", I'm kinda confused now~~

I left all those sections empty, and I didn't get an RFE on the app.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank for all replies, my N400 was sent today earlier. :yes:

Instructions did say to put an N/A in any blank space, just typed that once, highlighted, and hit control C, then clicked to the blank space and hit control V, for every empty space.

It goes this quick N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A ....

Now whether your IO will make an issue out this, that remains to be seen, but read the instructions first.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.