NealandCari

Can't find I-751 extension letter

17 posts in this topic

So... a very stupid thing happened to my husband and I. We are traveling back to London tomorrow so he can visit his folks and suddenly cannot find his NOA/extension letter. We can't really afford to cancel our trip...we have been saving up for it for a couple years. He has a photocopy of his NOA...will this suffice? I don't want to have to risk it, but I am at my wit's end. He may or may not be approved while we're away (we will be gone until May 24), but I don't know what to do. This is my worst nightmare. HELP!

Edited by NealandCari

Neal (UK) and Cari (USA)

N-400

01-30-2013 Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox
02-04-2013 Package marked as "Delivered"
02-07-2013 Check cashed
02-08-2013 NOA
02-21-2013 Biometrics
02-25-2013 Inline for Interview

04-08-2013 Interview

05-31-2013 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

So... a very stupid thing happened to my husband and I. We are traveling back to London tomorrow so he can visit his folks and suddenly cannot find his NOA/extension letter. We can't really afford to cancel our trip...we have been saving up for it for a couple years. He has a photocopy of his NOA...will this suffice? I don't want to have to risk it, but I am at my wit's end. He may or may not be approved while we're away (we will be gone until May 24), but I don't know what to do. This is my worst nightmare. HELP!

Sorry but a photocopy will not be accepted at any POE but you can try it. Does he at least have the physical expired GC? The CBP officer may give him a break and swipe the expired card which will reveal the extension on his/her computer.

On a side note, why would you wait till the day before an international trip to look for such important documents?

Good luck.

Sorry but a photocopy will not be accepted at any POE but you can try it. Does he at least have the physical expired GC? The CBP officer may give him a break and swipe the expired card which will reveal the extension on his/her computer.

On a side note, why would you wait till the day before an international trip to look for such important documents?

Good luck.

I know it's very stupid to wait till the day before, believe me. I have been preparing for this trip for a couple months now and just assumed my husband had the NOA. Additionally, my husband had just assumed it was with his other documents (Biometrics letter, etc) in our filing cabinet. I know what they say about people who assume too, haha. I have no idea what could have become of it to be honest and it may still show up. My husband has been working full time and going to school full time, so he has been very busy and stressed and it just came down to that really.

He does still have his green card, and he has his stamped biometrics letter and the photocopy of the NOA. Would it be possible to file for a travel authorization at the U.S. embassy in London?

And what would happen if they didn't let him back in? Would it just be a matter of him waiting in the UK until his new green card arrives?

Neal (UK) and Cari (USA)

N-400

02-07-2013 Check cashed
02-08-2013 NOA
02-21-2013 Biometrics

04-08-2013 Interview

05-31-2013 Oath Ceremony

If your husband has his 2 year GC - then it may work without the extension letter. I've read others who have entered the US didn't need to produce the extension letter. His green card status is already extended in the system.

Now the question is, and excuse me for my ignorance, can he leave the UK without needing to show a valid entry document for the US? If so, then I think you will be just fine. Your GC is still valid despite the expiration date on it...

hope this helps!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

If your husband has his 2 year GC - then it may work without the extension letter. I've read others who have entered the US didn't need to produce the extension letter. His green card status is already extended in the system.

Now the question is, and excuse me for my ignorance, can he leave the UK without needing to show a valid entry document for the US? If so, then I think you will be just fine. Your GC is still valid despite the expiration date on it...

hope this helps!

I think the main issue is with coming back into the POE...they don't check anything but the passport leaving the country I do believe. Then, coming back, you have to fill out the landing card and all that.

Ugh...can't believe this happened.

Neal (UK) and Cari (USA)

N-400

02-07-2013 Check cashed
02-08-2013 NOA
02-21-2013 Biometrics

04-08-2013 Interview

05-31-2013 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I think the main issue is with coming back into the POE...they don't check anything but the passport leaving the country I do believe. Then, coming back, you have to fill out the landing card and all that.

Don't lose sleep over this. You guys will be fine. CBP primarily goes by what shows up on their computer screen more than what paper you have in your hand. Since he got an NOA, his GC technically expires in 2011 and not 2010. safe travels and have fun without thinking about this too much during your trip. he's a PERMANENT residence of the U.S. That's what matters.

When does his green card actually expire?

Based on their timeline, it looks like March 20 - approved for AOS.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Often the date on the card does not match AOS approval date (ours doesn't) - but I still suppose I could have looked for a ballpark idea! :D Was just thinking if they had time left on it, then it wouldn't be an issue to not have the letter.

SA4userbar.jpg

best way go to a infopass today! like right now! i know it might be too late to make a infopass appointment but sometimes they let you in without an appt. ask the IO to stamp his passport, the stamp will serve as his "temp greencard".

Aug 2001 - Enter US on B2 visiting visa

July 2002 - Enrolled in school, obtained F1 Visa

Sept 2007 - Married

Nov 2007 - File for GC

Feb 2008 - Interview - approved

Mar 2008 - received 2 year conditional GC.

11/30/2009 - Applied for ROC

12/15/2009 - received NOA, NOA date 12/10/2009

1/15/2010 - FP appointment

1/17/2010 - LUD

4/18/2010 - Previous I765 LUD

Still waiting...

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update for those that are curious...

We decided to just wing it, and travel with the green card and photocopy of the extension letter. They didn't seem to care too much; the CBP officer in Houston looked at it and casually told us we should carry the original next time but that was it.

Now I am sure it is up to the discretion of the CBP officer, but ours didn't seem too bothered...

As for anyone else checking, we were able to leave the airport in London just fine...one guy at check-in asked to look at the extension letter but didn't say anything about it being a photocopy.

Neal (UK) and Cari (USA)

N-400

02-07-2013 Check cashed
02-08-2013 NOA
02-21-2013 Biometrics

04-08-2013 Interview

05-31-2013 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Just wanted to give an update for those that are curious...

We decided to just wing it, and travel with the green card and photocopy of the extension letter. They didn't seem to care too much; the CBP officer in Houston looked at it and casually told us we should carry the original next time but that was it.

Now I am sure it is up to the discretion of the CBP officer, but ours didn't seem too bothered...

As for anyone else checking, we were able to leave the airport in London just fine...one guy at check-in asked to look at the extension letter but didn't say anything about it being a photocopy.

SWEEEET!!!! See, and there you were worrying for nothing. We (VJers) told you it will be alright. Hope you enjoyed your stay and didn't think too much about the POE.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Since I live on the border, I had to travel east. 100 miles from the border in every direction there are Border Patrol checkpoints. I had to go through one and I had my expired GC and the extension letter.

I showed them my GC, they saw it for a few seconds and never asked me anything regarding the expiration date or the extension letter.

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

The problem is not UK immigration checking your passport upon departure. Your Air Carrier will not check you in for your return flight unless you provide valid documentation. They are on the hook if they let anyone board without proper paperwork. I am not so sure if presenting a photocopy and sweet talk will be sufficient, especially considering the current security circumstances we all have to deal with. Since I understand you already started your trip, I would strongly suggest that you contact the local Embassy/Consulate for assistance before attempting to return stateside.

Best of luck.

The problem is not UK immigration checking your passport upon departure. Your Air Carrier will not check you in for your return flight unless you provide valid documentation. They are on the hook if they let anyone board without proper paperwork. I am not so sure if presenting a photocopy and sweet talk will be sufficient, especially considering the current security circumstances we all have to deal with. Since I understand you already started your trip, I would strongly suggest that you contact the local Embassy/Consulate for assistance before attempting to return stateside.

Best of luck.

They have already returned.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.