nathanp

going to the philippines.a few questions

91 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You need to think beyond the wedding about how you are going to qualify for a spousal visa. You need to have $18,300 annual income to qualify. Marrying without her parents consent goes against the culture there and you are asking for trouble.

I took 2,300.00 with me when i went to Cebu to meet my gf and propose to her, which i came back to the states with 300.00 but i splurged while i was there, i was there for 2 weeks.

3/16/2009- met through mutual friend
3/16/2009- 1/17/2010 chatted everyday using yahoo messenger and skype
1/18/2010- flew to meet and proposed (stayed for two weeks)
2/23/2010- mailed I-129F overnight
2/25/2010- checked cashed
3/03/2010- received NOA1 Hard copy (dated 2/25/2010)
5/20/2010- I-129F Petition approved
5/25/2010- Received NOA 2 in mail
7/12/2010- Medical( chest xray found white lines)
7/12/2010-7/14/2010- sputum test (for smear test)
7/16/2010- smear test neg ( 8 week wait time)
9/13/2010- call st lukes
9/14/2010- return to st Lukes get result's
9/15/2010- return to st Lukes for immunization's
9/15/2010- medical passed
10/4/2010- Embassy Interview (Passed)
10/8/2010- Visa received
11/12/2010- arrived at POE ( Atlanta Georgia )
2/12/2013- Filed AOS

3/18/2013- Biometric

7/26/2013 Aos petiton approved

8/3/2013- received ( Perminent Resident Green Card 10 yr)

12/5/2016- Mailed N-400

12/7/2016- N-400 Received

12/07/2013-NOA

12/12/2016- Check Cashed

1/12/2017- Biometric appt

1/30/2017- Case inline for scheduling interview

6/23/2018- Received interview letter

7/23/2018- interview date , passed, Recommend for approval 

8/4/2018- case status changed to oath letter mailed

8/8/2018- Received oath letter

8/21/2018- Oath Ceremony

Love is Like a Pot of Gold
Hard to Get and Hard to Hold
When you Get it Hold it Tight
Then you'll Know what Love is Like

You need to think beyond the wedding about how you are going to qualify for a spousal visa. You need to have $18,300 annual income to qualify. Marrying without her parents consent goes against the culture there and you are asking for trouble.

This is the reality. If a kano is barely scraping by to go meet her, then how does that bode for paying the immediate immigration expenses to follow, much less the standard of living once she arrives in US.

We wish the OP luck, but really think it thru if you are ready to begin the visa journey process at this time. Perhaps saving up at least $5K in the bank would be a good goal, and would reduce financial pressure and stress with this cushion.

We only have the ILLUSION of control over our lives. Expect the unexpected events and their expenses. Not doing so will put you behind the 8 ball. Hope all works out for you in any event.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

hi there, having read ur storyline and the subsequent replies of the members here - I do agree that you shouldnt be spending more than US$ 1,000.00 (prevailing exchange rate in Makati banks = US$ 1.00:PhP 44+). your destination is in Butuan City in Mindanao. thats province area. mostly nature, not too much malls.

if you are going to stay with your gf and settle for home cooked meals 75-85% of the time, you should do well. I am from Makati by the way (Brgy Poblacion, just at the back of Rockwell Power Plant Mall). whenever my fiance is here, he settles for home cooked meals. we take turns cooking. I get to show him what Filipinos cook and eat, and he'd show me what he knows to cook and like to eat. apart from the bonding time, twas a way for us to get to know each other very well. I dont bring him though when I go to the marketplace coz I wont be able to bargain for a lower price (people here have this mentality that if your bf is a foreigner it means big bucks). we'd have dinner outside every now and then. he does that to give me a break from cooking, also bcoz he loves to eat at this korean resto. our average expenditure at kaya korean resto in jupiter street, makati city is PhP 1200-1500. but thats fine dining and 2 servings of spicy squid for him haha! my sis who is a programmer and travels a lot says, dinner in a nice resto in Mindanao area shouldnt be more than PhP 700.

the better person to orient you of these things would be your gf coz she is from there.

when my fiance and I were in the get-to-know each other stage, he asked me a lot of questions like: how many are you in the house, how big is your place, how many and what type of elect appliances you have, how much is your elect bill, how much do you spend monthly on food, clothing, leisure etc. he also asked about means of transport (jeep, taxi, bus, LRT, horse drive carriage). he also asked about basic commodities like how much is a kilo of rice, fish (depends on the kind of fish), pork, beef, chicken, veggies. we talked about what we like and dont like to eat. he asked how often I watch a movie in the nearby cinema, what do I do for fun etc. whats the average meal in a fine dining resto, at a corner etc.

while some people claim such questions bother them, it reality these are the typical questions I get at work from expats wanting to set-up their business in the Phils. when I finally realised the questions were aimed at me and not just an economy assessment of the Phils, I emailed him an excel file with a breakdown of my monthly salary with a planning budget from Jan-Dec. thats it, I passed my exam. Hahaha! am not joking, I do plan my life like so. and I carry a print-out of that excel file in my wallet to remind me not to go overboard when I spend.

the bottom line is, if your gf really really loves you, she will do everything and anything to protect you. she'd even tell u hey, dont spend so much. the important thing is we're together.

I do agree that in chatting, you get to know a person. but I do recommend that you meet each first and get to know each other very very well before thinking of getting married. marriage is a life long commitment, it isnt just a piece of paper. if you want to offer marriage because you want to prove to her (and her family) that your intentions are true, then you are not being fair - to yourself and to the girl. get married because it is something that BOTH of you want and because BOTH of you are ready for whatever will come your way.

when I first met D2B in 2006, my family was against the idea (we're not even bf-gf). but I insisted that my parents (especially my mother) meet him, at least to show Filipino hospitality. I gave him a despedida party (seafood buffet) not knowing twas his birthday. overtime, he got closer to my family and believe it or not, he and my mum get along very well. I for one, do not agree in lavish wedding. you are getting married because you want to spend your life with that person. when the two of u fight, are u going to call those 100 guests who attended your wedding to patch you up? NAH!

I am not sure how much the church fee costs but it shouldnt be more than 3,500 pesos. I read here someone suggested, you go get a fixer. dont u dare if you dun want to get "fixed." google up for Butuan City Hall. if they have an email, you can ask for procedure/guidelines. ah just to let you know, I organized my cousins wedding last Dec 2009. we spent approx 50,000 pesos for 100 guests. can show u her site in Facebook. I still have the budget file with me. if you need, just email me so I could pass to you and give you more tips on how to cut cost. you can give a dream wedding for your girl, just dont invite her entire clan and community! I'll get back to you about marriageable age. I know they raised it. you see, I couldnt marry my ex back then coz of that. he had to get parental consent (thank goodness I didnt get married! LoL)

wow u have had a lot done.and good advice and info...im use to filipino cooking.my best friend where i was living at a few weeks ago is from the phils.i always went over there and ate a lot of food plus he gave me some food he brought with him when he cam back from the phils in february....i actually got my dad involved with a filipina he is now trying to marry and as well as my brother.so now my family will be filipinos and white americans.hehe.but jenes and i have been chatting for over 3 years.done pretty much everything except things that we can physically do with each other considering how far apart we r.not to get into any details or anything like that.

i learned a lot from her family and friends.she has 2 cousins and a best friend here in the states i always talk to.but we want to meet in person.but as for getting married we r 100% sure after the 3 years of knowing each other and everything we gone thru.we r sure no doubt.but we still want to meet first.50,000 pesos for a wedding is still a big amount.

ive also been talking to her cousin and her cousin said we can use her house.no1 lives in it or anything.but she will let jenes and i use it so we have a place to get away from every1 and enjoy ourselves and be alone.which i know we want.the cousin that will let us use it is here in the states already with her husband.and she is just a few months older than jenes.

hehe yes i already did research years ago.the amount needed to sponsor her for a k3 has changed from like 17,500 to 18,300......i have all that taken care of.i just need to get there and get married.and getting married against her parents maybe against the culture.but we arent going to let her parents stand in the way of our lives.but they r for us.just tired of waiting for me to meet her.all i needed to get was the info about it all just to find out for a fact.but thank you and i understand what ur saying.its great advice and i will keep that in mind

This is the reality. If a kano is barely scraping by to go meet her, then how does that bode for paying the immediate immigration expenses to follow, much less the standard of living once she arrives in US.

We wish the OP luck, but really think it thru if you are ready to begin the visa journey process at this time. Perhaps saving up at least $5K in the bank would be a good goal, and would reduce financial pressure and stress with this cushion.

We only have the ILLUSION of control over our lives. Expect the unexpected events and their expenses. Not doing so will put you behind the 8 ball. Hope all works out for you in any event.

i agree.but as for getting her here rite after we get married.its undecided.i plan on moving there bcuz she wants to be with her family.but as she said she will follow her husband and if i wanna stay here then so be it.rite now my focus is meeting her and marrying her.i cant start any process if i havent even met her yet and i just wanna live 1 day at a time hehe.not to sound rude or anything.but i get what ur saying about it.rite now like her and her family i just wanna be able to meet her in person first.and let Gods will happen when he is ready.he will give me what i need for everything.and i have learned that.ive been homeless,moved to mexico just to have a place to live and survive.ive been poor all my life so i know the value of a dollar and how far it really can go.thank you my friend.i appreciate every1 who has replied to this.it really helps me out

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

to start out i know this is for the spousal visa and im sure some of the questions that i ask have already been asked before,but for my sake and to get some new info and everything.i would like to ask these questions anyways...

1 question i have is that i plan on going to the phils around september of 2010....my gf and i have been dating for over 3 years.....i want to know around the minimum and average every1 thinks i should bring to the phils with me.amount of money....when i go there.ill stay with her and her sister at an apartment that her and her sister rent out.my gf just graduated from college march 30 and is now looking for work.im not going there to spend a lot of money on anything special.im going there to just spend time with her.maybe take her out on a date or 2 but thats about it.i dont wanna bring anything back with me(well except her but need to get married first.which is another question ill ask).

so just staying with her and her sister for 3 weeks.how much money do i need for food,water,and simple things like that?and maybe a few dollars to take her on some dates like a movie.but basically just staying at her apartment bcuz thats all we really wanna do to spend the most time together and not be bothered by anything or any1..

another question is....how much does it cost to get married thru like a judge or justice of the peace or equivalent there?maybe having her sister and possibly her parents there(her parents r against us and she moved out of her parents home bcuz she got tired of them treating her so badly.so now she doesnt talk to them much)..

my plan was to save 1000 US dollars as i have read that should be enough for what i want on other sites.but rather hear from people on here about it as well.again i dont plan on buying anything or bringing anything back.just wanna spend time with her alone with the exception of her sister.and i already have a plane ticket ready for me.all i need is the money for there and to get out of the manila airport.i dont like spending a lot of money and my gf doesnt either.she isnt a big spender even if i send her a lot of money in terms of the philippines.she will make 100 dollars last over a month after paying her tuition fee and buying feminine products.

if i remember anything else ill post.a little more.sorry for it being so long and everything.just excited and now tired,have work early in the morn.

HI!

I Think I can give you A Better Advice for what you are looking for, A right Answer ,well, it's Up to you if you Believe me, But I 'm Doing this , just simply Because this Site Helped my Husband to do everything right in Favor of Me. Yes, like What Other site you mention is Right for A thousands US is Morethan enough, like just what you say, She's not a big Spender, BUT you Don't need to Bring it All in CASH, Just prepare at least 500 US dollar, and before you go to the Philippines, Ensure, you Up date your Visa Debit Card if you have, and Inform your Card Company that you are going Out of US , and you need to Activate it for Overseas Use, and you have to do it one week before you leave US,in doing that you are free Worry at All,Also you mentioned , you have A place to Stay, that is another favor to you Because you don't need to Spent too much money, for A place to Stay,I f She lives in Manila, my thoughts to you about Transportation, don't get Conned, Philippines Airport has a Public Transport Taxi Which you will pay only By meter, A Yellow Airport Taxi,Run by two Company, Either one you can get, BUT PLease Ignore Whoever asking you , for A ride, after you get Out of the Airport Directly Look to your Girlfirend, then ,Look Around to the The Yellow Taxi,Hop iN and be Happy. God Bless YOu.

HI!

I Think I can give you A Better Advice for what you are looking for, A right Answer ,well, it's Up to you if you Believe me, But I 'm Doing this , just simply Because this Site Helped my Husband to do everything right in Favor of Me. Yes, like What Other site you mention is Right for A thousands US is Morethan enough, like just what you say, She's not a big Spender, BUT you Don't need to Bring it All in CASH, Just prepare at least 500 US dollar, and before you go to the Philippines, Ensure, you Up date your Visa Debit Card if you have, and Inform your Card Company that you are going Out of US , and you need to Activate it for Overseas Use, and you have to do it one week before you leave US,in doing that you are free Worry at All,Also you mentioned , you have A place to Stay, that is another favor to you Because you don't need to Spent too much money, for A place to Stay,I f She lives in Manila, my thoughts to you about Transportation, don't get Conned, Philippines Airport has a Public Transport Taxi Which you will pay only By meter, A Yellow Airport Taxi,Run by two Company, Either one you can get, BUT PLease Ignore Whoever asking you , for A ride, after you get Out of the Airport Directly Look to your Girlfirend, then ,Look Around to the The Yellow Taxi,Hop iN and be Happy. God Bless YOu.

hehe thank you.500 dollars sounds about the amount i wanna carry in cash and the rest on a card if my card is usable over seas.since i dont have a bank account anymore.im just using a visa debit card any1 can get from a local store sicne i dont have to have credit to get it.i need to make sure it can be used over seas though.if not ill just have to have my dad send me money thru western union and leave my money with him.it may cost a little more but atleast its safe back home with some1 i know and can trust.also about the rides.ive been warned about that.i know what its like since i lived in mexico and they do the same there as well.thank you very much for the tip and advice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hehe thank you.500 dollars sounds about the amount i wanna carry in cash and the rest on a card if my card is usable over seas.since i dont have a bank account anymore.im just using a visa debit card any1 can get from a local store sicne i dont have to have credit to get it.i need to make sure it can be used over seas though.if not ill just have to have my dad send me money thru western union and leave my money with him.it may cost a little more but atleast its safe back home with some1 i know and can trust.also about the rides.ive been warned about that.i know what its like since i lived in mexico and they do the same there as well.thank you very much for the tip and advice

Western Union is really super expensive! If you want to save significant money, set up an international transfer agreement with your (or you father's) bank before you leave. I use Wells Fargo, they transfer to BPI (Bank of the Philippine Islands) and the fee is only $2.50, which is like 1/10 what W.U. charges when you also consider the exchange rates they give. Once the agreement is set up, you can do this online from anywhere. Sure it takes a day instead of an hour, but considering that Western Union will keep something like 15-20% of your money in fees every time you transfer, it's really worth it.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

Western Union is really super expensive! If you want to save significant money, set up an international transfer agreement with your (or you father's) bank before you leave. I use Wells Fargo, they transfer to BPI (Bank of the Philippine Islands) and the fee is only $2.50, which is like 1/10 what W.U. charges when you also consider the exchange rates they give. Once the agreement is set up, you can do this online from anywhere. Sure it takes a day instead of an hour, but considering that Western Union will keep something like 15-20% of your money in fees every time you transfer, it's really worth it.

I looked at the Wells Fargo and BPI bank transfer plan a couple years ago, and my understanding was the fee was $5.

Is there any other conditions for the $2.50 transfer, like having a mortgage loan with Wells Fargo?\

They did not do me right a couple years ago, and made me look foolish when I went to a BPI bank and tried to access my Wells acct, but based on what you are saying so far, I'm willing to look into it again.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I looked at the Wells Fargo and BPI bank transfer plan a couple years ago, and my understanding was the fee was $5.

Is there any other conditions for the $2.50 transfer, like having a mortgage loan with Wells Fargo?\

They did not do me right a couple years ago, and made me look foolish when I went to a BPI bank and tried to access my Wells acct, but based on what you are saying so far, I'm willing to look into it again.

Wells Fargo charges me $2.50/transfer, I don't know of any special conditions. Money can be sent to a name ("Will-Call", in which case they give a confirmation # like Western Union, then you send the number to the person who is claiming the money) or to another BPI bank account. Just remember this needs to be set up ahead of time (in person at your branch). Each name or BPI account requires a separate transfer agreement that you must personally sign, and the first transfer must be done from the WF branch. But once it is set up and going, then you can do transfers via the website. It's always worked very well for me. I have also been able to use my WF ATM card at any BPI branch without any problems when I am in the Philippines.

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

western union is my only option.i thought about zoom but jenes only has 1 id and cant get another id rite now.i dont have a bank account.my dad doesnt have a bank account.we both have bad credit and owe many banks money.my only option is western union or to bring all the money.which wont be so bad.ill take care of it all.

you are going to have great difficulties, the embassy is tough!!

i know its tuff.but i wont have a difficult time.i already talked to many people i know that told me its easy to get the paper work i need.just takes time.ill go to cebu to get it all.since its closest to butuan.jenes cousin did that and every1 else did.

western union is my only option.i thought about zoom but jenes only has 1 id and cant get another id rite now.i dont have a bank account.my dad doesnt have a bank account.we both have bad credit and owe many banks money.my only option is western union or to bring all the money.which wont be so bad.ill take care of it all.

i know its tuff.but i wont have a difficult time.i already talked to many people i know that told me its easy to get the paper work i need.just takes time.ill go to cebu to get it all.since its closest to butuan.jenes cousin did that and every1 else did.

I was speaking of post marriage @ the embassy!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.