Rebecca Jo

Locking OT threads

11 posts in this topic

My question.......

How many times are you going to lock threads because of apparent reports of racism/intolerance BEFORE you ban the offenders?

I realize the forum is Off-Topic and the rules are "looser" but come on - a bigot is a bigot and shouldn't be tolerated in a international community.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will reply that what happens to individuals who violate TOS is not made public. Suspensions are handed out as appropriate and the matter is between the Moderation Tean and the individual involved only. Unless that individual choses to share with you any information related to administrative action you will not be informed about suspensions, bans or any other type of action.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's easier to split out OT posts or make invisible posts that are in violation of the TOS. IMO, most of the time, thread locking isn't really that necessary.

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

It's easier to split out OT posts or make invisible posts that are in violation of the TOS. IMO, most of the time, thread locking isn't really that necessary.

Its partially because of how OT works. Its not uncommon for 100 posts to show up in a matter of hours before a moderator is even aware of what is going on. In these types of threads, you have people occasionally trolling just to get a lot of negativity and insults, so that by the end of it you might find 40% of all posts to be in violation of the TOS. All because the thread has basically degenerated into nothing but insults. Its not worth a moderators time really.

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Frequently, a thread is closed and only the personal attacks part is addressed, and not the racism. That gives the appearance of a complicit moderating team.

I will reply that what happens to individuals who violate TOS is not made public. Suspensions are handed out as appropriate and the matter is between the Moderation Tean and the individual involved only. Unless that individual choses to share with you any information related to administrative action you will not be informed about suspensions, bans or any other type of action.

I didn't think you'd be sending up a balloon to the members who reported the offenders.

I just expect to see them gone.

Frequently, a thread is closed and only the personal attacks part is addressed, and not the racism. That gives the appearance of a complicit moderating team.

I don't think that happens in OT. I think the Mods hands are tied.

Could be happening elsewhere, but not in OT.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think that happens in OT. I think the Mods hands are tied.

Could be happening elsewhere, but not in OT.

It does happen in OT, more frequently with the current Immigration law threads. A thread will get closed, and the reason left by a moderator is for personal attacks and some general message about a breach of TOS. They completely negate any obvious, or even latent racist posts.

Edited by Rob and Mel

It does happen in OT, more frequently with the current Immigration law threads. A thread will get closed, and the reason left by a moderator is for personal attacks and some general message about a breach of TOS. They completely negate any obvious, or even latent racist posts.

Well, if you mean complicit as in a willingness to allow the behaviors to continue, IMO (from my understanding of the word) you mean the Mods are personally willing to allow these dialogues to continue due to their own personal idealogies. I sort of doubt that.

If you mean Admin doesn't want too much of a crack-down because the post count raises the site in Google rankings, then you have a point.