w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Arizona removing teachers with "heavily accented" English from some classrooms

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The Arizona Department of Education recently began telling school districts that teachers whose spoken English it deems to be heavily accented or ungrammatical must be removed from classes for students still learning English.

School principals and administrators say the department is imposing arbitrary fluency standards that could undermine students by thinning the ranks of experienced educators.

Critics charge that the broader political climate has emboldened state education officials to target immigrant teachers at a time when a budget crisis has forced layoffs.

"This is just one more indication of the incredible anti-immigrant sentiment in the state," said Bruce Merrill, a professor emeritus at Arizona State University who conducts public-opinion research.

Nearly half the teachers at Creighton, a K-8 school in a Hispanic neighborhood of Phoenix, are native Spanish speakers. State auditors have reported to the district that some teachers pronounce words such as violet as "biolet," think as "tink" and swallow the ending sounds of words, as they sometimes do in Spanish.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703572504575213883276427528.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Edited by w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

How the hell is some who barely speaks English teaching all students in a US school?

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, if you're teaching English, you should probably be able to speak it and pronounce words properly...

How the hell is some who barely speaks English teaching all students in a US school?

have you seen our education system in some areas?

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Well, if you're teaching English, you should probably be able to speak it and pronounce words properly...

The article doesn't say this applies to teachers teaching English. It applies to any teacher teaching any class with students who are "learning English" (i.e. non-native, non-fluent, presumably ESL).

Heck - there are places all over the country where you can hardly understand the "language" because of the drawls or accents.

Ever been to Boston, the Bronx, Atlanta, New Orleans, heck even Pittsburgh, etc......

There is no "standard" english language as the same words are pronounced differently all over our own country!

Hell I was in Louisiana one time working at a job site and I though all the good ole boys were speaking a foreign language - took me a few days to pick up on it :rofl:

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

have you seen our education system in some areas?

I mean seriously what a bloody joke. It's bad enough that we are paying billions to educate illegal aliens and anchor-babies but now are importing teachers who barely speak English to cater for them. Our local schools each have about 4 to 6 ESOL teachers catering for Hispanic kids; with many born in America yet do not speak a word of English.

Think about the link in my signature from NYT. 300,000 anchor babies alone are now born in the US. So 300,000 * $9K = $2.7 billion alone will be spent in America each year to educate acnhor babies. 12 years of schooling = $32 billion. Therefore, one years worth of anchor-babies born from illegal aliens will cost $32 billion to educate alone. 10 years worth of this is a cost of $320,000,000,000 to the US taxpayer. What a bloody joke... .seriously. Naturally because if the way the US is structured, these costs are hidden amongst the 3,140 counties. Now throw in the kids of illegal aliens and also factor in inflation when they start school.

One day foreign schools will teach about the second colonization of America, by means of mass illegal immigration.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

The article doesn't say this applies to teachers teaching English. It applies to any teacher teaching any class with students who are "learning English" (i.e. non-native, non-fluent, presumably ESL).

I think that's where people don't think these things through. Reactionary laws can seem very sensible on the surface - some people never look beyond that.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I think that's where people don't think these things through. Reactionary laws can seem very sensible on the surface - some people never look beyond that.

How about the people with their head in the sky that ignore reality? After all, you don't seem to think there is a problem with even all of Eastern Europe moving to the UK. Yet at the same time ignore that quality of life in the UK is dropping, as well as the exodus of Brits who have had enough living in Calcutta style pop density.

Edited by Booyah!

How about the people with their head in the sky that ignore reality? After all, you don't seem to think there is a problem with even all of Eastern Europe moving to the UK. Yet at the same time ignore that quality of life in the UK is dropping, as well as the exodus of Brits who have had enough living in Calcutta style pop density.

BY, I don't have a problem with the legal movement of EU citizens. As I have said, it's a two way street, no matter what the BNP or UKIP would have you believe.

You call it head in the sky, I call it hanging onto my precious civil liberties.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay ! Should be a higher standard anyway - when teaching students who's first language is NOT English. I'm happy about this - the kids get a teacher who is a better role model for English Language Oral Presentation.

Arizona Rocks !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

BY, I don't have a problem with the legal movement of EU citizens. As I have said, it's a two way street, no matter what the BNP or UKIP would have you believe.

You call it head in the sky, I call it hanging onto my precious civil liberties.

Who gives a ####### if it's legal? Slavery was once legal as was marrying minors.

Like any silly lefty, you guys make laws that promote your idealism and then use them to justify pretty-much everything,'but but it's the law'.

Once again, would the entire population of Eastern Europe going to the UK end up being a good thing for the UK and the quality of life there? It's a yes or no answer that as nothing to do with any law.

Edited by Booyah!

Yay ! Should be a higher standard anyway - when teaching students who's first language is NOT English.

I wonder if they'll kick out teachers who speak English with thick 'black' accents. No immigrant kid should be learning to speak like that.

It's ask, not ax.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I wonder if they'll kick out teachers who speak English with thick 'black' accents. No immigrant kid should be learning to speak like that.

It's ask, not ax.

Time will tell - perhaps you could participate in that particular study? There's a coupla inroads for you, maybe you could even subcontract to the commission handling it all, in AZ ? IMO, that's be a better use of yer time, to actively participate IN THE PROBLEM AREA/ARENA, instead of staying here on VJ.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Who gives a ####### if it's legal? Slavery was once legal as was marrying minors.

Like any silly lefty, you guys make laws that promote your idealism and then use them to justify pretty-much everything,'but but it's the law'.

Once again, would the entire population of Eastern Europe going to the UK end up being a good thing for the UK and the quality of life there? It's a yes or no answer that as nothing to do with any law.

When you have a grasp with reality I might communicate with you seriously on such topics. Until then :rofl: at your suggestion that the entire population of Eastern Europe wants to, and is moving to the UK.