gina_raluca

Apostille Needed? Please advise

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi. A Romanian friend of mine who presently lives in Canada will be marrying her American fiance next month. As she is collecting the biographic documents for the immigration process, she is wondering if she needs to have her Romanian birth certificate and previous divorce certificates apostilled? She is also a Canadian citizen and will be waiting in Canada for this process to be completed. She will have her interview at an American consulate in Canada. Thank you very much for your answers!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

For the I-130 petition it is usually just copies of the required documents, no apostilles needed.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi. A Romanian friend of mine who presently lives in Canada will be marrying her American fiance next month. As she is collecting the biographic documents for the immigration process, she is wondering if she needs to have her Romanian birth certificate and previous divorce certificates apostilled? She is also a Canadian citizen and will be waiting in Canada for this process to be completed. She will have her interview at an American consulate in Canada. Thank you very much for your answers!

No.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Is her birth certificate an "international" certificate? If not, she needs to have it translated & certified. If you certify in Romania, you would need to apostille it but before doing that just verify if U.S has the apostille agreement with Romania?

Apostille is a way for the Romanian government to "certify" that the person who translated the documents for you is valid since U.S Embassy doesn't know if the certify you did is really a true certification.

If you do your certification in U.S by a U.S notary, no apostille is needed.

USCIS\NVC Journey:

07/20/08 - Got Married

07/21/08 - Applied for I-130 for my wife as spouse of a LPR

09/14/09 - Birth of our Son in Italy

09/28/09 - NOA2. Approval of my wife I-130

10/20/09 - NVC Finally receives her case

10/21/09 - Added my son to her petition at NVC since LPR kids are derivatives

12/20/09 - Became a U.S Citizen

12/21/09 - Filed I-130 for my son

01/20/10 - Wife's case at NVC upgraded to CR1

02/28/10 - Case Complete

03/10/10 - Interview date received, April 15th, 2010

04/05/10 - Filed Expedite for my Son's I-130

04/08/10 - Expedite Approved by CSC, I-130 approved

04/14/10 - Medicals done for my wife and Son

04/15/10 - Wife's Visa approved

04/15/10 - Sent an expedite to NVC regarding my Son's case

04/16/10 - Paid IV Bills/AOS Bill for my Son's case

04/21/10 - Sent AOS/DS-230+supporting docs to the NVC

04/22/10 - Expedite approved

04/28/10 - Son's case file to sent to the Consulate, Italy!

05/06/10 - Consulate called to notify of interview date, MAY 20, 2010

05/20/10 - Interview - Approved

05/21/10 - Pick up Visa @ the consulate

05/22/10 - POE, WAshington Dulles!

05/22/10 12AM - Best Night of Sleep of my life!

Timeline

Is her birth certificate an "international" certificate? If not, she needs to have it translated & certified. If you certify in Romania, you would need to apostille it but before doing that just verify if U.S has the apostille agreement with Romania?

Apostille is a way for the Romanian government to "certify" that the person who translated the documents for you is valid since U.S Embassy doesn't know if the certify you did is really a true certification.

If you do your certification in U.S by a U.S notary, no apostille is needed.

Documents used to immigrate to the USA don not need any Apostille. Period. Nada. Fugetaboutit. Get it? :thumbs:

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Documents used to immigrate to the USA don not need any Apostille. Period. Nada. Fugetaboutit. Get it? :thumbs:

It is needed for certain cases. My wife is from a 3rd world country and she resides in Italy. Her home country embassy provided us with BC since she did not have an original with her. Also it was in her native language. Embassy told us to have it translated in Italy & have it apostilled also. I am telling you by experience.

If your spouse/fiance is residing in the country they were born in, an Apostille may not be needed. It is basically up to embassy what they accept. I checked with them because our case was a little different in reference to her Birth Certificate.

USCIS\NVC Journey:

07/20/08 - Got Married

02/28/10 - Case Complete

Timeline

It is needed for certain cases. My wife is from a 3rd world country and she resides in Italy. Her home country embassy provided us with BC since she did not have an original with her. Also it was in her native language. Embassy told us to have it translated in Italy & have it apostilled also. I am telling you by experience.

If your spouse/fiance is residing in the country they were born in, an Apostille may not be needed. It is basically up to embassy what they accept. I checked with them because our case was a little different in reference to her Birth Certificate.

Unless specifically requested by a US Consular official, an Apostille is not needed. Consular officers, not "Embassy" officials deal with US Immigration. Just who told you to have the BC Apostilled?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Unless specifically requested by a US Consular official, an Apostille is not needed. Consular officers, not "Embassy" officials deal with US Immigration. Just who told you to have the BC Apostilled?

Before sending all the documents to NVC, I had made an infopass at the consulate. When they reviewed the documents, they told me its better to get BC apostilled since it was created by a foreign embassy and not the official registrar(the country of my wife's nationality) Plus it was translated in english in Italy. I dont know if it was a "CO" or whoever. All I know is that the people at the Consulate/Embassy or whatever it was..were the ones who told me to do that.

The reason I wrote my experience here was because this lady is in Canada but a citizen of Romania and going through the process in Canada.

Edited by jimboy435

USCIS\NVC Journey:

07/20/08 - Got Married

02/28/10 - Case Complete

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Before sending all the documents to NVC, I had made an infopass at the consulate. When they reviewed the documents, they told me its better to get BC apostilled since it was created by a foreign embassy and not the official registrar(the country of my wife's nationality) Plus it was translated in english in Italy. I dont know if it was a "CO" or whoever. All I know is that the people at the Consulate/Embassy or whatever it was..were the ones who told me to do that.

The reason I wrote my experience here was because this lady is in Canada but a citizen of Romania and going through the process in Canada.

Thank you all who replied! Jimboy435, do I understand this correctly? The apostille was needed to certify a copy of an original document?

In my friend's case, she has all her documents in their original form. These documents are translated in English and French, but all the stamps from the Office of Vital Statistics or the Court are in Romanian. These would need to be translated.

Thank you all who replied! Jimboy435, do I understand this correctly? The apostille was needed to certify a copy of an original document?

In my friend's case, she has all her documents in their original form. These documents are translated in English and French, but all the stamps from the Office of Vital Statistics or the Court are in Romanian. These would need to be translated.

As Pushrbk said, you don't need apostille so I guess you don't need them..they have made me do it for no reason! Just send to NVC and see what happens.

Edited by jimboy435

USCIS\NVC Journey:

07/20/08 - Got Married

02/28/10 - Case Complete

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.