psiprez

Trouble Amassing Evidence

5 posts in this topic

We don't apply to remove until January, but have of course started gathering evidence now. I never thought we would have this problem, but we really don't have much we can use.

Any ideas on other items we can use?

What we have:

- Two-years of joint tax returns.

- Bank accounts in both names.

- Car insurance in both names.

- Driver's licenses with same address.

- Everyday photos of us together.

- Possible affidavits from my parents, brother and SIL, and a married couple we are friends with.

- A copy of school and sports team "Contact Info" forms where he is listed as our children's stepdad.

Problems:

- We rent our house from my parents (they bought it from me and my ex after my divorce), so their name is on our lease. They also happen to be my husband's K-1 co-sponsors.

- Utilities where we live can only be in one person's name, not joint.

- We have no health insurance, so no health insurance cards to show (I have expired ones from before I lost my job, which I might send).

- We have no life insurance to show each other as beneficiaries.

- We have no credit cards at all, let alone jointly.

- We haven't had the money to go on trips since the wedding, so no boarding passes or hotel reservations with both our names.

- My car is in my name, his car is in his name.

- No weddings or family events have taken place, so there are no 'official' photos like that to use.

Edited by psiprez

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Timeline

You have enough there. You could photocopy some of the envelopes addressed to both of you at the same address, such as Christmas cards, etc. Any bills you have that are in both names will help. You want to show that the husband and wife are living at the same address, and are actively contributing to the marriage, both financially, and practically.

We don't apply to remove until January, but have of course started gathering evidence now. I never thought we would have this problem, but we really don't have much we can use.

Any ideas on other items we can use?

What we have:

- Possible affidavits from my parents, brother and SIL, and a married couple we are friends with.

- A copy of school and sports team "Contact Info" forms where he is listed as our children's stepdad.

Problems:

- We rent our house from my parents (they bought it from me and my ex after my divorce), so their name is on our lease. They also happen to be my husband's K-1 co-sponsors.

- Utilities where we live can only be in one person's name, not joint.

- We have no health insurance, so no health insurance cards to show (I have expired ones from before I lost my job, which I might send).

- We have no life insurance to show each other as beneficiaries.

- We have no credit cards at all, let alone jointly.

- We haven't had the money to go on trips since the wedding, so no boarding passes or hotel reservations with both our names.

- My car is in my name, his car is in his name.

- No weddings or family events have taken place, so there are no 'official' photos like that to use.

You are at a good start. You are always welcome to include a cover page in your package explaining some of the evidence you included and more importantly, explaining some of the other evidence that you did not forget to include, but could not include. There are many people who are currently living in similar circumstances and they were approved without any problems. Affidavits from your parents are critical since they are the co-sponsors as well as their letter stating that you and your husband live in their home (legally their home).

As for utilities, you have two options to try out:

1. We had the same problem as you have, but we insisted that both names show on the bill. If this was really impossible, then you (read option 2)

2. If option 1 still doesn't work, you can always ask them to add your spouse's name as an authorized user - later, you can call and request a letter stating that Mr. and Mrs. X are authorized users and this accounts has been with company Y since xx/xx/20xx until present. You are the customer and they should listen to you and not the other way around. They say some stuff to avoid doing work... that's all!

Hope this helps to start this discussion.....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

I had the same problem with a few things. I live in my MIL's house and all the utilities are in her name, we have no health insurance, let alone any money for trips and stuff. What I did was get my MIL to write out an affidavit for us stating she owns the house, the utilities are in her name, plus all the extra stuff she put down stating she was present for our wedding, etc. You seem to have a good list of evidence. The cover letter is also a good idea. Gives them a list of what is in your package.

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Filed: Other Timeline

That's plenty already. If you can add a joint credit card (authorized user is enough) and write a short cover letter telling the I.O. who you are and what you do, you pretty much mirror what I sent in.

Oh, wait, we didn't and still don't have a joint bank account, so you're ahead of me already.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.