choles

Travel to US while application pending

22 posts in this topic

Oops.

Good thing you got me before I started :lol:

Thanks, trailmix.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Timeline

So here's yet another question:

I understand the uncertainty of crossing the border. Having said that, does anyone know what's the maximum length of time one could enter the US for while the IV is pending? I seem to think it's 3 months but not totally sure. My husband is starting his job in June and I'm just waiting for interview date to be assigned. I would obviously rather be with husband than here on my own. I have very strong ties to Canada and will have a return ticket.

Any thoughts?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So here's yet another question:

I understand the uncertainty of crossing the border. Having said that, does anyone know what's the maximum length of time one could enter the US for while the IV is pending? I seem to think it's 3 months but not totally sure. My husband is starting his job in June and I'm just waiting for interview date to be assigned. I would obviously rather be with husband than here on my own. I have very strong ties to Canada and will have a return ticket.

Any thoughts?

A Cdn can spend with POE APPROVAL 6 months in the USA! Longer u stay, the harder it MAY be able to convince the POE officer that ur only visiting. Return ticket is "nice" but we all know its usually cheaper to buy a round trip!! Check ur PM's

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

Well, we've just sent off our DS-230 and checklist to Montreal, we're doing DCF. We are hoping to hear soon of course, but I doubt it will be in time for a family wedding we have at the end of June in the US. The USC can go to the US at any time right? But can the Canadian applicant/beneficiary travel while the immigration application is still in process? Could we be denied entry? I'd have a return ticket, show the wedding invite, get a letter from the boss verifying return to work, but even then might it not be enough? I know the official answer - the customs officer has right to deny entry as he/she feels fit, but I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience or recommendations about this. I can stay back and let my wife attend alone if needed, but of course I prefer to go too if I can...

Thanks in advance.

I've travelled several times during the process,never had an issue.But u still have to prepera all the doc.s(there is a list here VJ somewhere) just in case

I-130 Journey

04-18-09 - I-130 sent USPS Priority to Chicago Lockbox

04-24-09 - I-130 received by USCS and the first touch

04-27-09 - I-130 NOA1 (California Service Center)

04-27-09 - Check Cashed

08-13-09 - I-130 Received NOA2 e-mail

08-17-09 - I-130 Received NOA2 Hardcopy (I-797)

NVC Journey

08-17-09 - NVC Received/Case number assigned

09-08-09 - NVC sent the first mail to the petitioner

09-08-09 - DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated

09-08-09 - E-mailed DS-3032

09-09-09 - Mailed DS-3032

09-09-09 - Pay AOS Bill (Online)

09-10-09 - AOS Bill Show as PAID

09-10-09 - IV Bill Generated

09-11-09 - Paid IV Bill

09-11-09 - NVC accepted DS-3032(received an e-mail)

09-12-09 - Mailed I-864 Package

09-14-09 - IV Bill Show as PAID

09-15-09 - I-864 received at NVC

09-16-09 - Mailed IV Package(DS-230)

09-17-09 - DS-230 package delivered to NVC(confirmed via fed-ex)

09-21-09 - NVC received the DS-230

09-23-09 - NVC sent an e-mail asking for DS-230 package

09-24-09 - NVC confirmed that the DS-230 package received

09-26-09 - Login Failed!!!

09-28-09 - Case Completed at NVC --------------------------------------------------NVC stage is completed in 38 days

01-27-10 - Medical

02-05-10 - Interview Date

04-14-10 - POE

Done with USCIS until Apr 14,2012 (Removal of Conditions)

Hello all,

Well, we've just sent off our DS-230 and checklist to Montreal, we're doing DCF. We are hoping to hear soon of course, but I doubt it will be in time for a family wedding we have at the end of June in the US. The USC can go to the US at any time right? But can the Canadian applicant/beneficiary travel while the immigration application is still in process? Could we be denied entry? I'd have a return ticket, show the wedding invite, get a letter from the boss verifying return to work, but even then might it not be enough? I know the official answer - the customs officer has right to deny entry as he/she feels fit, but I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience or recommendations about this. I can stay back and let my wife attend alone if needed, but of course I prefer to go too if I can...

Thanks in advance.

I have traveled back and forth at least every six weeks... for the last year. Hubby is the US citizen. I've not had any problems so far. I think as long as you have info with you to show ties to Canada ie. rent receipts, hydro bills, banking statements and return ticket info printed you will be fine. The questions I've been asked are :

1. when are you returning

2. where are you staying

3. purpose of visit

They've only asked once to see my evidence, but its still always nerve racking. Last time my hubby accompanied me and they asked nothing, just said " bye". We both figure all the info is in the system when they scan your passport. I always hope that the CPB has had a good day!

Go enjoy! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.