choles

Travel to US while application pending

22 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Well, we've just sent off our DS-230 and checklist to Montreal, we're doing DCF. We are hoping to hear soon of course, but I doubt it will be in time for a family wedding we have at the end of June in the US. The USC can go to the US at any time right? But can the Canadian applicant/beneficiary travel while the immigration application is still in process? Could we be denied entry? I'd have a return ticket, show the wedding invite, get a letter from the boss verifying return to work, but even then might it not be enough? I know the official answer - the customs officer has right to deny entry as he/she feels fit, but I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience or recommendations about this. I can stay back and let my wife attend alone if needed, but of course I prefer to go too if I can...

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

While its impossible to say for sure, based on that information I think you have a very good chance of getting through the border without a problem. You have pretty strong ties with a job back in Canada, a return ticket showing your intent to come back home, and you're almost finished with the immigration process. Who would come this far just to try to enter the US and adjust status? Also, your husband lives with you in Canada, correct? So where would you go? It's not like you're trying to escape to the US to be with your husband as soon as possible. He's already with you!

Personally, I'd take that letter from your employer, your return ticket, and your visa paperwork and go for it.

You answered your own question.. unfortunately there is NO guarentee, its 100% up to CBP that day. If you show strong ties to canada (as you have), and bring some sort of proof of filing your immigration paperwork. Be honest, upfront and confident, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Stress on the SHOULDNT.. nobody can guarentee it.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

While waiting for our K1 interview my girlfriend came to visit before we drove up to Montreal for said interview. Needless to say, I warned her several times about what she should say, what she shouldn't say, etc. Apparently she did so bad while talking to the border security agent at the airport that he straight up said "you know you're telling me all the wrong things here?" Anyway, they sent her back to get further questioning and STILL let her through to catch her flight. That said...it's a ####### shoot every time you try to cross the border.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not to be rude, or anything negative, BUT you may not get a whole lot of replies, why u ask?? As this is probably the #1 questions asked in the Cdn forum,lol Probably gets asked a few times each week, Not a big deal as we are all free to ask questions and encouraged to do so. My advice is in my signature. It all pretty much boils down to the POE officer and how YOU conduct urself. They are trained to find people lying or hiding information (some better than others,lol) Good word to live by KISS: Keep it simple stupid (stupid can be replaced with other "s" words,lol) Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I wonder if someone should make a post about FAQs about border travel during visa pending and pin it in the Canadian section... I wonder if it'd help at all.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Yeah, it wouldnt be a bad idea to pin this thread. :thumbs:

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think its normal for people to get nervous when they're planning on visiting during the process. No matter how many prior experiences and FAQ's you read, you still want reassurance from others. I think most of these threads are made by people who are looking for someone to tell them they're going to be successful and everything will be ok.

Timeline

I think its normal for people to get nervous when they're planning on visiting during the process. No matter how many prior experiences and FAQ's you read, you still want reassurance from others. I think most of these threads are made by people who are looking for someone to tell them they're going to be successful and everything will be ok.

we nominate u huggles as the "Everything is going to be ok" person, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Yeah, it wouldnt be a bad idea to pin this thread. :thumbs:

Nice rat you got there. :ot:

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

I thought since I suggested it, I'd do an FAQ for travel during the visa process that's related to Canada/US.

Probably wont be up till tomorrow.

Doing the Qs and As based off of what was answered here in the forums. I just wanna help :P

I will add Flame's signature to the end of the post.

Edited by Rhiannercakes

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

There is a VJ Wiki Page about it here:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Travel_To_The_US_While_Application_Is_Pending

Information in the VJ Wiki Canada page here (which includes Flame's signature):

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada#Visiting_the_U.S._while_your_visa_application_is_pending

A link in the pinned topic created by krikit at the top of the Canada forum here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/191858-canada-immigration-guide/

a guide page here:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-application.html#4.6

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.