karenista

EMERGENCY need AOS receipt!!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

My husband and I have a nightmare situation right now. He is here on K-1, we married in early April and had our AOS ready to send out last week. However, in the interim, we got news that his father is dying. We took our ready to file application to an emergency INfo pass appointment last week and pleaded for an advance parole, but they would not issue it until we mailed the app to Chicago and brought them a death certificate (they would not let him go to see him until he actually died : (. We mailed AOS overnight FedEx last Tuesday, it was received Weds a.m., and his father died on Saturday. We have an Info pass appointment to plead again for AP today so he can get home for the funeral and we have FedEx proof of delivery, but nothing from USCIS and they have not cashed the check. How long does this actually take? Is it in their system even if they have not notified us? The Infopass woman said that as long as we mailed it and she could see it in their system we should be okay, but I wonder if anyone can please tell me how long it takes to get into the system? Or any other advice would be appreciated too, this has been awful! Thanks...

Karen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi,

My husband and I have a nightmare situation right now. He is here on K-1, we married in early April and had our AOS ready to send out last week. However, in the interim, we got news that his father is dying. We took our ready to file application to an emergency INfo pass appointment last week and pleaded for an advance parole, but they would not issue it until we mailed the app to Chicago and brought them a death certificate (they would not let him go to see him until he actually died : (. We mailed AOS overnight FedEx last Tuesday, it was received Weds a.m., and his father died on Saturday. We have an Info pass appointment to plead again for AP today so he can get home for the funeral and we have FedEx proof of delivery, but nothing from USCIS and they have not cashed the check. How long does this actually take? Is it in their system even if they have not notified us? The Infopass woman said that as long as we mailed it and she could see it in their system we should be okay, but I wonder if anyone can please tell me how long it takes to get into the system? Or any other advice would be appreciated too, this has been awful! Thanks...

Karen

Look at our timeline for the current average time period to receive an AP without any InfoPass appointment. Very sorry for the loss but this was one of those known assumptions that you both knew about (that they couldn't return unless they had the AP or GC).

There is one other choice. They return and you abandon the AOS. Then you both file for CR-1 and redo the process whle they stay in their country.

Again, very sorry and prayers are for you and your family.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I'm sorry for your loss :(

The receipt can take up to 1 or 2 weeks to be issued.

In my case for example they received it on a Wednesday, receipt issued next Tuesday, received on Friday.

Has your check been cashed yet?

I-751 package sent : 03/30/2012

I-751 receipt date : 04/03/2012

I am sorry for your loss. Please post back again following your appointment.

I feel Good...........like the moon is shining just for me!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Eligible in November 2012

Filed: Other Timeline

If the father died already, it's not really an emergency anymore, or is it? When my mother died three years ago, I wrote an Eulogy and had my daughter read it out loud at the funeral. That accomplished exactly the same as paying my respect in person, minus the problems, as looking at a casket lowered into the ground wouldn't really helped my mom in any way.

What helps is being there when a loved one is passing in order to say "goodbye"; once that stage is finalized, I don't see any merit anymore to bend over backward, spend thousands of dollars, fly around the world, and, on top of that, cause real problems with the immigration people.

Memories are forever, and they are free. I will always remember my mother in the best possible way, whether I was at her funeral or not.

Just my 2 cents and, perhaps, food for thought.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I agree with the spirit of Just Bob's comments. Your husband has already lost his father, during this difficult time it would be added stress to be separated from you again, plus the time and money involved with filling a spousal visa.

His family could delay the burial, so that he can attend the services. Assuming there are no religious reasons that would cause the rest of the family disapprove, it would be easy to delay the services for 2-3 weeks until he has gotten his emergency AP. If not I think having a family member read a prepared statement is a nice way to honor his father.

Edited by reeses16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.