Doug B

I-134 Anxiety

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

HI -- got the I-129F mailed off last Monday!!

I have been having some anxiety around the I-134.

Mainly because I am on the verge of going back to school to become a nurse (RN), and assume that it's important to be working and making an income at the time of the interview coming up. Which will hopefully be this summer sometime, as school would start in September. One program I applied to starts in the summer, so I was real nervous about that, but I don't think that one will be working out.

So question #1: If I have enough income from last year -- is it above the 125% of poverty level that it has to be? -- is it crucial to be currently employed and have paychecks leading right up to the interview time?

Question #2: I have absolutely NO assets! Will that hurt me??

Question #3: Where is the best info on the VJ site about the Affadavit of Support -- it seems to be hard to find.

Thanks so much for the help!

Doug B

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

HI -- got the I-129F mailed off last Monday!!

I have been having some anxiety around the I-134.

Mainly because I am on the verge of going back to school to become a nurse (RN), and assume that it's important to be working and making an income at the time of the interview coming up. Which will hopefully be this summer sometime, as school would start in September. One program I applied to starts in the summer, so I was real nervous about that, but I don't think that one will be working out.

So question #1: If I have enough income from last year -- is it above the 125% of poverty level that it has to be? -- is it crucial to be currently employed and have paychecks leading right up to the interview time?

Question #2: I have absolutely NO assets! Will that hurt me??

Question #3: Where is the best info on the VJ site about the Affadavit of Support -- it seems to be hard to find.

Thanks so much for the help!

Doug B

The best information is in multiple threads in the Consulate forum. If income is sufficient leave asset questions blank. Execute your I-134 while still employed. It is a dated document painting a picture on its signature date.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you do end up working until right before your interview, claim the employment on the I-134. But let me play the devil's advocate.

As the I-134 is realistically asking what your current income is at the time of the interview -- i.e. your ability to use current income to support your fiancée now, not when you had a job before -- I'd think it would be somewhat fraudulent to claim an income for a position you no longer hold.

I was in the same boat, but fortunately with plenty of assets. Having worked for the DoD abroad for several years, come our Interview a few days ago I had been unemployed for almost exactly six months. Rather than "paint a picture" with a pre-dated I-134 by suggesting I was still making my previous income, I claimed 0 (zero) in that field and supplied my previous tax returns. But, again, I was able to use my assets, which helps you none.

Most folks will say that if you have any doubt, secure a cosponsor. If I were in your situation, I would. Of course, that isn't always as easy as it may sound. If that proves to be impossible, you can resort to the PP's suggestion.

I may be too simple, but that just seems misleading. I know I was asked directly about my CURRENT employment status and income during our interview. If I had claimed my significant income from before (no matter whether it was six months or six weeks ago) on the I-134, I'd have had to have overtly lie to the pre-screener and CO. Which did not then -- and does not now -- seem to have been in my best interest. I suppose it depends upon how comfortable you are submitting the document at the interview and having to either yourself (if you are there) or your fiancée agree that it is your current employment and income -- even if it is not.

Personally, with no job and no assets I'd aggressively seek a cosponsor, even if it just held in reserve as a backup.

Edited by Alcheringa

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If you do end up working until right before your interview, claim the employment on the I-134. But let me play the devil's advocate.

As the I-134 is realistically asking what your current income is at the time of the interview -- i.e. your ability to use current income to support your fiancée now, not when you had a job before -- I'd think it would be somewhat fraudulent to claim an income for a position you no longer hold.

Opinions and preferences vary on this but the I-134 is a dated affidavit, so by definition, definitely a document asking for current information available on the date it is signed. That date and information should be as fresh as practical on the interview day. A June document for an August interview, for example, is perfectly acceptable.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.