say101

I-130 - Refused entry into the states on previous visit

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As always, thankyou to all that read and respond to my questions, as inane and stupid as they appear! Like all that have been through this process, I just want it to go smoothly and end up with the right result, my wife and I together.

My question is this, I have been refused entry into the states (twice). Once because they thought I was an intended immigrant ( I wasn't) because I had spent 6 months in and out of the states on the VWP and the other for trying to catch a connecting flight in Miami to go to Lima, Peru so see the missus. (So be warned, if you need a visa to go to the states, you need one to catch a connecting flight from the states to another country. I learned the hard way).

Anyway, having been refused entry twice, is this the question 16 on the form I-130 that asks if your relative has ever been under immigration proceedings? I have put NO but upon reflection think that this should be YES. If so is it Removal, or Exclusion/Deportation?

Thanks again,

SAY

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You weren't deported/removed. You were denied entry at POE, from what I understand.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Was anything put into your passport? Were you given any paperwork when you were turned around? You want to make sure you weren't given a expedited removal

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

They did write in my passport. Hard to read but it looks like "VW Refusal pursuant to ?????? looks like 2120 TAI or something, then INA.

The paperwork that they gave me was a record of sworn statement in administrative proceedings from the INS. All very scary and official looking.

Timeline

You need to be more clear. INA is the Immigration Nationality Act - what are the combination of numbers and letters that follow INA because this will be the reasons for refusal.

And INS has not existed in years so unless this happened many years ago, INS does not appear on your paperwork. Please be more clear as to what it all says. The more precise you are, the better answers you will get

Good luck.

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

You need to be more clear. INA is the Immigration Nationality Act - what are the combination of numbers and letters that follow INA because this will be the reasons for refusal.

And INS has not existed in years so unless this happened many years ago, INS does not appear on your paperwork. Please be more clear as to what it all says. The more precise you are, the better answers you will get

Good luck.

I was refused entry in Jan 2009 and given a Record of Sworn Statement (Form I-877) (which is an interrogation interview) by the US Department of Justice - Immigration and Naturalization Service. In the interview they talked about my reason for entry and the refusal reason was pursuant to section 212 (a) (7) (b) (II) of the INA which is a non-immigrant without a valid non-immigrant visa and was refused for being an intended immigrant.

In the passport I have the hand written statement "8 CFR 217.4 (a) (i) MIA 1/24/09 z (or 2)488 and the number A99939540.

Sorry for the detail but I hope it helps with the answer to the question: What do I have to declare on the form I-130 in regard to this? Was I deported/removed or what do I have to declare on the form??

Thanks again you guys and gals. You are all life-savers!

Timeline

All right, it looks like you were denied entry for having immigrant intent. This means you can no longer use the VWP to visit the US and if you do wish, you must apply for a B2 visa. However, because you have been declared an intending immigrant, any visa at this point will be very difficult to get.

Being denied entry does not need (If I remember correctly) to be declared on the I-130. However, when your case gets to NVC, the DS-230 will ask if you have ever been denied entry. YOu must answer yes and state it was because you had immigrant intent.

Good news is no removal proceedings.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Yeah, you weren't "deported" you were just denied entry.

Any time I crossed the border, I had a ton of evidence proving I would return back to Canada, ie. bank statement, credit card bill, student loan, lease agreement, and a letter my boss would write me.

Try that next time, it does suck though eh?

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.