Justine+David

Child over 21 already approved??

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a co-worker who is a permanent resident with a daughter in South Africa. She petitioned for her daughter about a year and a half ago when the daughter was over the age of 21 and received her approval notice from USCIS. She has a lawyer who she says isn't doing much except charging her $$ when he makes phone calls to other lawyers (sound familiar? lol)

Anyway, I was showing her this site and it looks like the next step is that the Dept of State issues the petition a number and it's forwarded on to the consulate. Is this correct? But I was also doing some searches on this forum and it looks like the processing time is like 6-8 years...but is that from the USCIS stage or overall processing? Did she luck out extremely? Or is she just in for the long wait at the DOS stage?

Any enlightenment would be appreciative :)

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a co-worker who is a permanent resident with a daughter in South Africa. She petitioned for her daughter about a year and a half ago when the daughter was over the age of 21 and received her approval notice from USCIS. She has a lawyer who she says isn't doing much except charging her $$ when he makes phone calls to other lawyers (sound familiar? lol)

Anyway, I was showing her this site and it looks like the next step is that the Dept of State issues the petition a number and it's forwarded on to the consulate. Is this correct? But I was also doing some searches on this forum and it looks like the processing time is like 6-8 years...but is that from the USCIS stage or overall processing? Did she luck out extremely? Or is she just in for the long wait at the DOS stage?

Any enlightenment would be appreciative :)

Approval at the USCIS stage is just the first step now it will go and sit at the NVC until a visa number is available, they are currently working on cases that were filed in July 2002. See bulleting here visa bulletin he class is F2B. So if she filed in 2009 it is about another 6 years or so for her to reach the embassy stage.

Hope this helps

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

It does--thanks so much! I'll be sure to pass the info along to her.

I feel a bit bad for her daughter that she has to wait so long, but I guess it's all a part of the process...her lawyer said that there might be some immigration laws passed soon that move her category up in priority and that he could help her with that...I told her it sounded like a scam and that even if it were true, it would be public knowledge and that the lawyer can't do anything that she can if her case is uncomplicated otherwise...

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It does--thanks so much! I'll be sure to pass the info along to her.

I feel a bit bad for her daughter that she has to wait so long, but I guess it's all a part of the process...her lawyer said that there might be some immigration laws passed soon that move her category up in priority and that he could help her with that...I told her it sounded like a scam and that even if it were true, it would be public knowledge and that the lawyer can't do anything that she can if her case is uncomplicated otherwise...

you are absolutely correct. immigration would have to have more visas available for every category. the lawyer can't do anything in the waiting game.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.