Gumbolette

Why some people remove their laptop battery and plug directly on AC power to use it?

15 posts in this topic

I recently changed my taste from desktop to laptop. My husband spent quite a bit on this one so as much as possible I would like to take care of the battery and the laptop itself. I have a Dell studio (customized).

My question is, is it good to take out the battery if you are not using it, or leave the battery and charged it then leave it plug in to the AC power even thought its fully charge?

Replies is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Filed: Timeline

The battery in my T60 had a problem where it would no longer fully charge. When I left the battery attached, my laptop would intermittently become unresponsive and the only resolution was a cold boot. So for a few weeks, while corporate procurement did its thing, I used the laptop using power only with the battery detached.

Now that I once again have a properly functioning battery, I keep it attached.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

This is a good question.

I use my netbook alot and keep the battery attached, but it's always plugged into the wall.

I'd like to know the answer myself.

I have an Acer Netbook.

Edited by Rhiannercakes

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My first laptop was a Dell and I kept the battery in it all the time. It quickly was losing its charge within a year. I now have a Toshiba that's almost 2 years old and I've kept the battery out of it most of the time. When I put it in, it still works great.

Edited by El Buscador

Having had this happen to me I researched it and spoke to HP, so here is the story.

If you are not going to use your battery and it's going to be attached for over two weeks straight, you should unplug it. Actually, you should charge it to 50% and then store it some cool. This will slow down the natural aging of lithium. On one of the laptops, which does not move, I sealed up the battery at 50% charge and keep it in the fridge - not freezer. Lithium loves cold temperatures. Obviously I keep it dry and ensure it does not short out.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

There is no difference. However, removing the battery is not recommended. There is a lot of disadvantages for removing the battery. One, if someone accidentally trip on the AC cord or adapter, you will loose all your work. Two, you forget to put the battery back on or mis-placed it.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There is no difference. However, removing the battery is not recommended. There is a lot of disadvantages for removing the battery. One, if someone accidentally trip on the AC cord or adapter, you will loose all your work. Two, you forget to put the battery back on or mis-placed it.

I work as an engineer at a company that makes rechargeable batteries and yes, there is a difference. What Ali G. said is completely accurate for improving the shelf life of a Li-ion battery. Keep it at 50% charge and keep it in a cool place. Batteries wear out much faster at higher temperatures or when constantly kept at full charge. The natural heating from your laptop will keep the battery at a higher temperature and it will lose it's ability to hold charge much faster.

However, that said, I keep the battery in my laptop all the time. As Neils Bohr brought up, there are some problems with not having the battery in. The battery provides a natural backup when the power goes out or the cord falls out. If you are truly using your laptop as a desktop, you may want to remove the battery and store it in the fridge at 50% charge. But then, why didn't you buy a desktop?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

As you know there are several battery types. There are the Lithium Polymer, Nickel-Metal Hydride, etc...

There are several memory effects depending on the battery composition. Now, if I were to tell you that the current generation used in laptops has a low memory effect. It doesn't matter as it is negligible. Most laptops are replaced within 3 years, so, for the sake of everyone...it doesn't matter since in 3 year times it will probably hold 75% of it's charge and still be use-able for atleast 1 hr.

I work as an engineer at a company that makes rechargeable batteries and yes, there is a difference. What Ali G. said is completely accurate for improving the shelf life of a Li-ion battery. Keep it at 50% charge and keep it in a cool place. Batteries wear out much faster at higher temperatures or when constantly kept at full charge. The natural heating from your laptop will keep the battery at a higher temperature and it will lose it's ability to hold charge much faster.

However, that said, I keep the battery in my laptop all the time. As Neils Bohr brought up, there are some problems with not having the battery in. The battery provides a natural backup when the power goes out or the cord falls out. If you are truly using your laptop as a desktop, you may want to remove the battery and store it in the fridge at 50% charge. But then, why didn't you buy a desktop?

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

thank you guys for the inputs. I think what I will do is that at least once a month, I'll leave the battery in the fridge for few days with a 50% charge on it. (As a treat for my battery) But I shall be using the battery in it then and keep it plugged in once in a while too.

Thank all.

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

I've had a little experience with laptops--and found that when the laptop is on AC, it's best to take out the battery.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

thank you guys for the inputs. I think what I will do is that at least once a month, I'll leave the battery in the fridge for few days with a 50% charge on it. (As a treat for my battery) But I shall be using the battery in it then and keep it plugged in once in a while too.

Thank all.

Look, if you use the battery, as in run on battery for an hour or so every few days you will not have a problem. If you solely keep your laptop plugged into the power, as my wife does, I'd keep it at 50% and store it in the fridge. Ziplock bags with all of the contacts protected so it doesn't short.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

As you know there are several battery types. There are the Lithium Polymer, Nickel-Metal Hydride, etc...

There are several memory effects depending on the battery composition. Now, if I were to tell you that the current generation used in laptops has a low memory effect. It doesn't matter as it is negligible. Most laptops are replaced within 3 years, so, for the sake of everyone...it doesn't matter since in 3 year times it will probably hold 75% of it's charge and still be use-able for atleast 1 hr.

Li-ion batteries are different to all of those other batteries. Running a battery flat does nothing for a Li-ion, actually it may harm it. As such, they do not need a complete discharge. Whereas, NMH and cadmium need complete discharges every now and then.

Any Li-ion battery I have kept plugged in and barely used, have substantially lost capacity and died within two years or under.

partone-19a.gif

Simple Guidelines

• Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.
  • Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.
  • Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.
  • Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)
  • Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.
  • If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Edited by Ali G.