ghanalove1

New VJ Member K1 VISA QUESTIONS?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am newly registered member to VJ but I have been looking at the board for some time now. I will be traveling to Ghana to visit my fiancee in Mid-May and we want to apply for the fiancee visa when I arrive I will be staying 10-14 days. What items are needed for us to apply? I know that I will need my divorce decree from my previous marriage (which I have) anything thing else? I am a little confused about should he start the process before I arrive and then do certain things when I get there?

Also, about how long will it take to find out if he is approved when we go to apply? Because if they deny him he says that he would want to get married in Ghana..which I don't want to do (just b/c I want to get married here in my church) but if that will speed up the process I guess I will. Any and all information is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself ways how I can!"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

read the K1 Visa Guide and also Visa tips there is helpful information

Welcome to VJ and best wishes in your visajourney! :dance:

We can all make a difference. Please recycle

por favor no escribas en mayúsculas sostenidas, eso equivale a GRITAR

crazy-cats.jpg

from I-129f instructions on USCIS website. If you are filing abroad:

File Form I-129F with the service center listed below based on the last place you lived in the United States. (Which would be CSC or VSC)

NOTE: Your petition cannot be adjudicated at a USCIS office abroad.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

you mention that will be staying for two weeks. that's not nearly enough time for the process to be completed. while you are there, you can have him fill out the G-325a and get a passport style photo, which will will need to submit with the petition.

wish you smooth sailing in your visa journey...

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Welcome to VJ.

Based on your questions, you've got some studying to do (on the process) because you may have some holes in your understanding.

For one - the USC (US Citizen), you I presume, first has to petition the US Government (USCIS specifically) to allow your foreign fiancé to apply for the visa. This takes months. Much later - once this petition is approved - your fiancé will be invited to apply for the Visa. So you can't simply go to Ghana and apply for a fiancé visa.

If you are successful (and there's no reason you've given to thing you wouldn't be), you will have to get married in the US. If for some reason you're not successful in getting the visa approved, getting married in Ghana and going the spousal-route wouldn't speed anything up.

Have you met your fiancé - in person - within the past 2-years?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Along with the G-325a, you will want to get USA style passport pictures- watch this in Ghana because they arnt always right! If your fiance is in Accra I can find the place that mine went to so you dont have to go around too much. Also get the letter of intent signed and dated. Photos especially infront of landmarks are helpful as well- Culteral Center, Independence Square, Kwame's memorial, Universities- anything that will look specific to Ghana. Reciepts are hard to come by in Ghana but you can get them certain places which will show your travel there along with your passport stamps, boarding passes, and other travel documents.

Like others said read the guides, visa hints, and look at some of the other ghana time lines to see how long it has been taking. The ghana embassy has a longish wait for interviews- so patience is a very needed thing. You have a long journey ahead if you go with K-1 or K-3

If you have specific questions send me a PM and I will help you out as much as I can. There are a few other USC's working with GHana now that are very helpful! We are starting to put together phone numbers and emails to help future VJers out!

-midge

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am newly registered member to VJ but I have been looking at the board for some time now. I will be traveling to Ghana to visit my fiancee in Mid-May and we want to apply for the fiancee visa when I arrive I will be staying 10-14 days. What items are needed for us to apply? I know that I will need my divorce decree from my previous marriage (which I have) anything thing else? I am a little confused about should he start the process before I arrive and then do certain things when I get there?

Also, about how long will it take to find out if he is approved when we go to apply? Because if they deny him he says that he would want to get married in Ghana..which I don't want to do (just b/c I want to get married here in my church) but if that will speed up the process I guess I will. Any and all information is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hi there~ Hope all is well with you. I see you have some questions regarding the K-1 visa. Well if you planning on filing a K-1 visa you would need:

1. I-129 Petition for Alien Fiancee form

2. G-325a Biographic Information form three copies each for you and him

3. Your birth certificate, and his

4. Your divorce decree

5. Airline ticket

6. Copy of your visa stamp there

7. Copy of passport

8. Two passport pictures including fiancee

Melissa P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.