Jeaneal3555

Permanent Resident to Citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Hello, We are filing for citizenship. My wife's Permanent Resident card will expire on May 10th. We are sending our N-400 in on April 20th. Will they send something to extend the Permanent Resident Card while my wife is going through the steps for citizenship? The next question I have is my wifes card is a two year Permanent Resident card. Can we apply for citizenship without getting the 10 year card? Thanks for the help.

Hello, We are filing for citizenship. My wife's Permanent Resident card will expire on May 10th. We are sending our N-400 in on April 20th. Will they send something to extend the Permanent Resident Card while my wife is going through the steps for citizenship? The next question I have is my wifes card is a two year Permanent Resident card. Can we apply for citizenship without getting the 10 year card? Thanks for the help.

The quickest you can apply is after three years so yes, you will need the 10 year GC.

I have heard though, if your ROC hasnt been approved by the time you're eligible to file for Citizenship, they say to go right ahead and file, it'll push the ROC through to approval.

You still need to file for Removal of Conditions none the less though.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Timeline

What happened to my post?? Done this before once or twice, my post is gone!

Anyway, with a two year conditional green card.

Your wife should have applied for her I-751 90 days before May 10th. Your major concern at this point is deportation, not USC. With proof of sending in your I-751 you can apply for an infopass appointment to get a I-551 stamp in her valid foreign passport of bring in two passport photos for an I-94.

After May 10th without the stamp, I-94, or if your I-751 is accepted with all the evidence required and a one year extension is not granted, she cannot work nor travel, and in my state, cannot drive with an expired green card.

Regarding USC, wait until next year. Have to be a LPR for three years first.

NO - you need to apply for Removal Of Conditions (I-751 first) and I suggest you get that prepared and send it soon since you are less than a month from GC expiration.

After your spouse has been 3 years LPR, then she can apply for citizenship based on a marriage to a USC.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

NO - you need to apply for Removal Of Conditions (I-751 first) and I suggest you get that prepared and send it soon since you are less than a month from GC expiration.

After your spouse has been 3 years LPR, then she can apply for citizenship based on a marriage to a USC.

Two year limit on the conditional card, three year limit on USC application. Wonder if that was intentional. Wife had her ten year card for a whole seven weeks, would have been three weeks if it wasn't for delays in her oath ceremony. But they did grant her a one year free extension on her what would have been expired conditional card that meant carrying an extra sheet of paper with her. Expired conditional card is worthless without that one year extension notice, and the one year extension notice was worthless without that expired conditional card.

You need both to remain here legally. And we had a very difficult time explaining that one year extension notice to both her employer and the DMV. What in the hell is a one year extension notice?

She received her biometrics appointment just about three weeks after we sent in the I-751 giving them about nine weeks to print up a new green card. But instead they sent that extension notice, and that was practically expired when she did finally receive her ten year card. Was all set to get that I-551 stamp in her foreign valid passport. Was a stressful time for us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.