Kevin-n-Merlaine

POE experiences

38 posts in this topic

I've been checking airfare for weeks now and China Air from MNL to LAX or SFO has the best deals. I've flown both of these routes and didn't have any problems at all, but of course I wasn't immigrating either. I'd like to fly Merlaine to LAX and I'll fly from here to meet her. I know LAX is a monster but I've been there so I know my way around some but how bad will it be for her? When I get there to meet her, will I be allowed into the international terminal at all or will I be sitting out front waiting? I'd like to have her POE be as easy as possible so any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know there's a thread here somewhere about POE experiences but damned if I can find it :blink:

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POE REVIEWS it's on top of the page

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

I've been checking airfare for weeks now and China Air from MNL to LAX or SFO has the best deals. I've flown both of these routes and didn't have any problems at all, but of course I wasn't immigrating either. I'd like to fly Merlaine to LAX and I'll fly from here to meet her. I know LAX is a monster but I've been there so I know my way around some but how bad will it be for her? When I get there to meet her, will I be allowed into the international terminal at all or will I be sitting out front waiting? I'd like to have her POE be as easy as possible so any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know there's a thread here somewhere about POE experiences but damned if I can find it :blink:

I can't really help you with LAX, as I've never been there.

But here's the POE experience thread you were looking for. :thumbs:

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

Ahhah! dumbass I swear, it's up top. :rofl: See, I knew I'd seen it..LOL Thanks :D

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I been through LAX quite a few times, of course as a USC. But it's not much different than any other major airport, just a matter of timing and trying to get through during an off time.

Hey--on a side note, I'm flying my girl back to LAX, hopefully in a few weeks. I looked at that Air China fare for $597 versus the PAL direct to LAX for $877. The main difference is time spent traveling. Air China goes through Beijing and your lady will have a 10 hr layover. For me, it's worth $300 more for my girl to only have to deal with a 13 hr oceanic flight rather than a 13 hrs of flying plus 10 hrs at an airport. 10 hrs in an airport drains the life from you... :wacko:

~Johnny~

Oh, not Air China Johnny, it's China Air. They connect in Taipei and it's a short stop.

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Oh, not Air China Johnny, it's China Air. They connect in Taipei and it's a short stop.

Ahhh... Is it much cheaper than PAL? I thought you had the company names backwards coz my ex-wife is from Tawain and we did China Air many times... That airport is not too bad if you're not stuck in there forever.

~Johnny~

I'm with you on this....it would have to be a WHOLE lot cheaper for me to pick a flight with stops over a direct flight.

:thumbs: Yup...even short stops! :)

Well the problem is that NO one offers direct flights except PAL and then it's only to a few destinations. I live in Wichita Kansas so I'll fly to her port of entry where ever it is. All the airlines that I've checked stop somewhere, either Guam, S. Korea, Japan..etc. The stop in Taipei is short and the airport is easy to get around in. I'd rather she not do her POE in Guam - at least I'd be there for the LAX entry. I'm not nearly as worried about spending an extra couple of hundred bucks either, that's why I was asking about the easiest route for immigration. It's a whole different deal if it's just me flying as a tourist :):thumbs:

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Hey Kevin...if you want to guarantee that your sweetheart forgets about any issues she may have had with long flights, big airports, or with grumpy POE officials...here's some ideas:

Fly her direct to San Francisco on PAL. Then, spend a few days there. Tour Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf, and then make sure you get some photos of you two from Marin Headland with the Golden Gate Bridge and downtown San Francisco in the background. :star:

Or, fly her to LA, and take her to Disneyland! :star:

I can't help you with the POE experience, but would like to say "Your the Man" for flying out to meet her and flying back to Wichita together. I also did that with my wife Ruchie and Mathew(son). I flew to Chicago to meet their flight as it came in and we flew back to Kansas City together.

Since this was all new to her, I didn't want her feel that she was all alone in the big ole US of A.......:thumbs:

I can't help you with the POE experience, but would like to say "Your're the Man" for flying out to meet her and flying back to Wichita together. I also did that with my wife Ruchie and Mathew(son). I flew to Chicago to meet their flight as it came in and we flew back to Kansas City together.

Since this was all new to her, I didn't want her feel that she was all alone in the big ole US of A.......:thumbs:

:thumbs::thumbs: Agreed...and thumbs up to both of you!

Thanks guys! I feel the same, I want to be there to help her get through as much of it as I can. If I could afford to, I'd just go get her in Manila. I think I'll go the LAX route with China Air. I've traveled it enough that I feel comfortable that she'll get through it easily. I just don't know about getting into the international terminal there. I've been there and know where it is but I also remember TONS of people outside. Hopefully I can go inside to customs to meet her there.

Thanks everybodyyyy :)

-USCIS-

-NVC-

-INTERVIEW-

-ROC-

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.