DEDixon

Major Filipino Grocery Store Chain - Hiring Practices

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Local Filipino population less than 10 percent, store hires pretty much all Filipinos, discrimination? I seriously doubt other nationalities haven't applied.

Anyone think Safeway would get away with hiring solely white people if the local population wasn't 100 percent white?

One day, I even saw a sign... "Now Hiring Male... blah, blah, blah"

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Filed: Timeline

Anyone think Safeway would get away with hiring solely white people if the local population wasn't 100 percent white?

Sure, if white people in said community were conversant with a culture and spoke a language no one else did, and if the customer base were such that made such knowledge necessary.

We're a J2EE shop at work. We don't hire C++ people. Not because they don't apply, but because we have no need for them.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Local Filipino population less than 10 percent, store hires pretty much all Filipinos, discrimination? I seriously doubt other nationalities haven't applied.

SeaFoodCity hires Mexicans.

11/05/09 - Sent I-130 for mother via snail mail

11/13/09 - Received NOA1

03/05/10 - Received NOA2

03/11/10 - Case entered into NVC system, MNL case # assigned

03/18/10 - Sent DS3032 via E-mail

03/24/10 - DS3032 entered into NVC system

03/25/10 - Received IV Fee bill by E-mail, PAID both IV and AOS Fees on-line

03/26/10 - AOS Bill showed as PAID (still waiting for 2009 Tax Transcript from IRS)

03/29/10 - IV Bill showed as PAID (still waiting for mother's documents from the Philippines)

04/09/10 - Sent AOS Package by snail mail

04/12/10 - NVC received AOS package

04/19/10 - Sent IV Package by snail mail

04/21/10 - NVC received IV package

04/28/10 - AOS accepted (received checklist re:IV package even if NVC received it already)

05/03/10 - Sign In FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!

05/05/10 - AVR message: "CASE COMPLETED ON 05/04/10"

05/12/10 - Received interview letter via e-mail

05/17-18/10 - Medical Exam

06/16/10 - Interview Appointment @ the Embassy (Canceled because of sputum and culture test, 2 months waiting)

08/05/10 - New Interview Appointment

08/07/10 - Visa delivered 2 days after interview

08/27/10 - LAX P.O.E.

Timeline

Sure, if white people in said community were conversant with a culture and spoke a language no one else did, and if the customer base were such that made such knowledge necessary.

haven't met a filipino yet that didn't speak english. one might understand if customer-facing employees were filipinos, however i seldom see that back-end employees are anything other than filipino.

And the NFL does not hire women or skinny guys to be linebackers. Strip clubs dont hire 40 year old cougars, but 22 year old supple skinny sirens. Life is full of double standards. If I go to a filipino food store, I want to see filipinos working there. Your point again is?

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

And the NFL does not hire women or skinny guys to be linebackers. Strip clubs dont hire 40 year old cougars, but 22 year old supple skinny sirens. Life is full of double standards. If I go to a filipino food store, I want to see filipinos working there. Your point again is?

you really think skinny guys off the street are applying for the position? really? really, really, really?

strip clubs... really? really, really, really? OMG!!! really?

oh and my point... this isn't a double standard, it is racism and discrimination.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually, it happens with other establishments. Go into a Chinese restaurant and except for the bus boys, you are going to see Chinese working there. Same with most authentic ethnic restaurants (Indian, Persian, Mexican). DE, I don't know if you have 99 Ranch Markets in your area, but go into one some time and you'll see mostly Asian workers.

Timeline

Actually, it happens with other establishments. Go into a Chinese restaurant and except for the bus boys, you are going to see Chinese working there. Same with most authentic ethnic restaurants (Indian, Persian, Mexican). DE, I don't know if you have 99 Ranch Markets in your area, but go into one some time and you'll see mostly Asian workers.

yeap, we do have 99 ranch markets and they do employee mostly if not all asians. again, i can see customer-facing employees being chinese in 99 ranch, but i fail to see why all of the back-end employees need to be chinese. racism and discrimination exists in their hiring practices as well.

as for restaurants, in the strictest terms, it is racism and discrimination. i tend to cut them a break, because sometimes it is family and friends that work the restaurants plus they can better cover with the language excuse. filipinos can't use the language excuse. none of these places can use the language excuse when it comes to the back-end positions.

i just think about the employees in these places and think if it were safeway doing the same to them, they'd immediately file suit. if you can't imagine they'd lose the suit, then so wouldn't someone filing suit against 99 ranch, seafood city and others.

Edited by DEDixon

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

yeap, we do have 99 ranch markets and they do employee mostly if not all asians. again, i can see customer-facing employees being chinese in 99 ranch, but i fail to see why all of the back-end employees need to be chinese. racism and discrimination exists in their hiring practices as well.

as for restaurants, in the strictest terms, it is racism and discrimination. i tend to cut them a break, because sometimes it is family and friends that work the restaurants plus they can better cover with the language excuse. filipinos can't use the language excuse. none of these places can use the language excuse when it comes to the back-end positions.

i just think about the employees in these places and think if it were safeway doing the same to them, they'd immediately file suit. if you can't imagine they'd lose the suit, then so wouldn't someone filing suit against 99 ranch, seafood city and others.

Well the only Filipino markets I've been to in So. Cal. were in Filipino communities. If Seafood City became as widespread as Ralph's or Von's, then for sure they would be in hot water if they were turning down applicants who weren't Filipino.

Here's another example - barber shops. Go to Black neighborhood barber shop and you'll see most of the barbers are black. The same thing in an Asian neighborhood.

Timeline

Well the only Filipino markets I've been to in So. Cal. were in Filipino communities. If Seafood City became as widespread as Ralph's or Von's, then for sure they would be in hot water if they were turning down applicants who weren't Filipino.

Here's another example - barber shops. Go to Black neighborhood barber shop and you'll see most of the barbers are black. The same thing in an Asian neighborhood.

filipinos tend to live in the less expensive zipcodes, but i don't know of any section within these zipcodes where one would say this is "little manila." the grocery store in question is in a retail district far and away from any particular niche community. this is not a little neighborhood grocery, it is a huge grocery store.

i don't know of any "asian" neighborhoods here in northern CA. asian don't tend to gather like hispanics and blacks for whatever reason (some say when blacks and/or hispanics move in, others move out).

the black barber shop is out of context.

Ever go into an Apple Store? They typically don't have any floor workers over 25. Ever go into a Hooters?, full of big blonde busty co-eds, (Geez, get some wrinkly, flabby cougars in there quick!) etc., etc., etc. :whistle:

It happens all over, and if I own an establishment and want to attract a certain clientele, then I will hire the employees I want that project the certain image I need to keep paying customers coming back thru the doors. :bonk:

Timeline

Ever go into an Apple Store? They typically don't have any floor workers over 25. Ever go into a Hooters?, full of big blonde busty co-eds, (Geez, get some wrinkly, flabby cougars in there quick!) etc., etc., etc. :whistle:

It happens all over, and if I own an establishment and want to attract a certain clientele, then I will hire the employees I want that project the certain image I need to keep paying customers coming back thru the doors. :bonk:

no matter how many weird examples you give, it doesn't make it right. it is still racism and/or discrimination.

Not weird examples by any measure. BTW D, how do you know so much about being weird?

We live in an unfair world. And my concern is that you are beating your head against a brick wall worrying about it.

Deal with it, and just enjoy yourself.

ps,

I can hire anyone I want if I run a business, and you can't make me hire someone as a "token" who doesn't have the skills or appearance I need to have a successful business.

Peace.

Edited by Hopp