DEDixon

Major Filipino Grocery Store Chain - Hiring Practices

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

If it makes you feel any better, sex shops and gun stores are predominantly staffed by white people.

and how does aj know this? :whistle:

I frequently go out of my comfort zone.

It's about 20% Indian. There's an apartment complex called Hilltop which is all Indian. Most of the other apartment complexes are mostly Indian. I live about 15 minutes from Hilltop.

ps. I do not recommend visiting Hilltop. It's not dangerous, just very depressing.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

ps. I do not recommend visiting Hilltop. It's not dangerous, just very depressing.

I don't know where we are specifically going in Edison but my husband and his brother-in-law are ordering something there before we drive back to Secaucus. :unsure: It must be food.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I don't know where we are specifically going in Edison but my husband and his brother-in-law are ordering something there before we drive back to Secaucus. :unsure: It must be food.

Indian food is the only reason anyone goes to Edison, unless there's family to meet.

My favorite is Rasoi. Good food, good portions and the bartender rocks.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sure, if white people in said community were conversant with a culture and spoke a language no one else did, and if the customer base were such that made such knowledge necessary.

We're a J2EE shop at work. We don't hire C++ people. Not because they don't apply, but because we have no need for them.

but if management hired 95% J2EE east indian programmers, you would be crying a river. :crying:

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Timeline

I don't have problems with Filipinos being hired in Filipino supermarkets. I used to detest using Filipino, our national language, when I was in the PH [i love my native tongue Cebuano-Visayan] but whenever my husband and I go to Seafood City, I speak to the service crew in Filipino and it feels positively different. Moreover, Filipinos are more familiar with Philippine goods and products. For example, I may not find tamarind for my sinigang. It can be easier to ask a fellow Filipino for a tamarind substitute rather than face a clueless "white" who hasn't even known what sinigang is.

even if they diversified to say 50% filipinos, you'd still be able to get your warm and fuzzies.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't have problems with Filipinos being hired in Filipino supermarkets. I used to detest using Filipino, our national language, when I was in the PH [i love my native tongue Cebuano-Visayan] but whenever my husband and I go to Seafood City, I speak to the service crew in Filipino and it feels positively different. Moreover, Filipinos are more familiar with Philippine goods and products. For example, I may not find tamarind for my sinigang. It can be easier to ask a fellow Filipino for a tamarind substitute rather than face a clueless "white" who hasn't even known what sinigang is.

Sakto, igsuon! :thumbs:

I asked her how to say, "Right on, sister!" and she gave me that. :P

:lol: We'll, she didn't make fun of the translation. She said it accurately.

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Local Filipino population less than 10 percent, store hires pretty much all Filipinos, discrimination? I seriously doubt other nationalities haven't applied.

Anyone think Safeway would get away with hiring solely white people if the local population wasn't 100 percent white?

One day, I even saw a sign... "Now Hiring Male... blah, blah, blah"

Wait, have you applied and they told you to lick a goat's testicle because you weren't One Of Them or you are just assuming that is what they would tell you?

This thread is useless with out a job application. Or useless anyway. Whatever.

Edited by Wacken

Timeline

Wait, have you applied and they told you to lick a goat's testicle because you weren't One Of Them or you are just assuming that is what they would tell you?

This thread is useless with out a job application. Or useless anyway. Whatever.

oh me oh my, a useless thread threat.... what is the world coming to?

no i didn't apply.