bwelty

CR1 filed in march!

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. My husband is a Brit - Cornish to be exact! :) We got married in February and I have to say that this process is sort of terrifying. I'm in the US - he's still in the UK and so we're trying to do everything we can to make things go smoothly. I Filed the I-130 in march and got the NOA1 on the 23rd. Now it's waiting...reading..preparing other forms.

Any tips? I'm prodding him to join the forum as well so he's got some fellow Brits to talk to. He's already lamenting the loss of his non streaky bacon and having me look for sources of non sweetened bread!

Welcome to VJ :) Try checking out the IR/CR1 forums above this one as they'll have much more information about the process until the file gets sent to London. And check out our UK wiki page for interview info!

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is somewhere in Virginia that does Back Bacon, but expensive. Best to forget it.

Likewise getting a decent Sausage.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The best bit of advice is the one I was given.....Lots of reading up and lots of preparation!

I'm not getting married until this summer and will then be filing for the CR1 but have already got tons of information from this site and feel much happier about the whole process!

I can sympathise with your husband, I found out recently that you guys over the pond don't really have Ribena....Thankfully I love root beer and dr pepper so at least I have substitutes :lol:

"There's this idea called the soul mate principle. It says that every person has one soul mate out there, just one. And that person is perfect for you and is your destiny. The problem being that almost nobody ever finds their soul mate, just because of distance. So most people go through their whole lives feeling not complete"

Facebook

USA-01-june.gifDarryl & Kate UK-06-june.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone. My husband is a Brit - Cornish to be exact! :) We got married in February and I have to say that this process is sort of terrifying. I'm in the US - he's still in the UK and so we're trying to do everything we can to make things go smoothly. I Filed the I-130 in march and got the NOA1 on the 23rd. Now it's waiting...reading..preparing other forms.

Any tips? I'm prodding him to join the forum as well so he's got some fellow Brits to talk to. He's already lamenting the loss of his non streaky bacon and having me look for sources of non sweetened bread!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there

I don't know where he can get good bacon ( I miss it too ) but he could try Italian Sour dough bread, Its the nearest I can find to English bread :). I have the same problems when Visiting my Fiancé In the USA. good luck with your visa petition.

There is somewhere in Virginia that does Back Bacon, but expensive. Best to forget it.

Likewise getting a decent Sausage.

Do you have a name of the place in Virginia - I really, really miss it. Someone sent me some Irish back bacon from an online ordering site a few months ago and it was quite good but really salty and I would love to find a real butcher somewhere who was preparing and selling organic back bacon.

ETA: Hi to the OP - I've ended up making my own bread to cope with the loss of 'normal UK stuff'. I also have everyone I know visit and bring me PG Tips tea bags, tomato ketchup, baked beans, Birds custard powder and Lyons Golden syrup which either cost the earth for the originals here or taste odd if you try the US version.

Edited by lsma

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not have the link, it was a few years ago, they shipped.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Do you have a name of the place in Virginia - I really, really miss it. Someone sent me some Irish back bacon from an online ordering site a few months ago and it was quite good but really salty and I would love to find a real butcher somewhere who was preparing and selling organic back bacon.

ETA: Hi to the OP - I've ended up making my own bread to cope with the loss of 'normal UK stuff'. I also have everyone I know visit and bring me PG Tips tea bags, tomato ketchup, baked beans, Birds custard powder and Lyons Golden syrup which either cost the earth for the originals here or taste odd if you try the US version.

I was wondering about the butcher too as I'm in Virginia.

As to the all the things you mentioned you were looking for, they are ALL in the Kroger "British" section of their international aisle. We wait for things to go on sale there and we stock up on them. BTW.. Lurpak butter is currently on sale from 4.99 to 2.99 at Krogers.. it's in the "international/gourmet" cheese section. :)

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

It depends on where you are in the US, but there are places to get British foods. We have Shaws which sells Ribena, chocolate, PG Tips, Heinz beans, Hobnobs, etc. The downside is that it is expensive and they don't refill the stock that much, so if they're out, they probably will be for some time. So get them while you can! There's also some private shops around that sell home-foods, we have a British shop half an hour away that sells all kinds of tourist stuff, including food.

The bread is the worst part, but we've been buying European crusty rolls from the local Stop&Shop. If you get VERY mature cheddar, it's as good as English cheese. I also tried American sausages for the first time last weekend and they were actually quite good.

Well one of the fancier grocers here- Wegmans, has some British needs. But the bread is his primary concern! I may just start baking my own. At least they have marmite *shudder*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.