Estefani22

URGENT I-864 item 25 joint tax returns

17 posts in this topic

I've been searching for an answer to this question, but have not found a definite answer. I hope someone could please help me to clear this up. My joint sponsor is tryting to fill out PART 6 QUESTION 23 and 25 (he files his taxes jointly with his wife; however we are using only his income to quality) and I would like to confirm that we are providing the current information.

on Question 23 for the current individual income: we have provided the amount on lines 1 and 3 of his 2009 w2's

on Question 25 where it asks for the total income for the most recent 3 years: we have provided the figures on his w2s for 2009, 2008, 2007

however, i feel as if i need to include adjusted gross income. Could anyone confirm this to me or let me know if what i have is correct. This is all that is left to submit i-864. PLEASE HELP

Thank You, and good luck to everyone!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If your joint sponsor files taxes jointly with his wife, but you're only using his income to qualify, enter his individual income as stated on the W2.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

It's actually in the I-864 instructions:

For purposes of this affidavit, the line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ,the line for adjusted gross income will be considered.

Also, as he filed a joint return, remember to include his W2s and any other slips he had - even if you are submitting IRS transcripts - you must provide documentation of his individual income.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

It's actually in the I-864 instructions:

For purposes of this affidavit, the line for gross (total) income on IRS Forms 1040 and 1040A will be considered when determining income. For persons filing IRS Form 1040 EZ,the line for adjusted gross income will be considered.

Also, as he filed a joint return, remember to include his W2s and any other slips he had - even if you are submitting IRS transcripts - you must provide documentation of his individual income.

But for a joint return, you do NOT use either of those lines. You add the W2 and 1099 income, if any, that is applicable only to the individual signing the affidavit. Sounds like they have the correct numbers. Current income is current income, which may or may not be different from 09 income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

But for a joint return, you do NOT use either of those lines. You add the W2 and 1099 income, if any, that is applicable only to the individual signing the affidavit. Sounds like they have the correct numbers. Current income is current income, which may or may not be different from 09 income.

I think you missed my point, the OP was asking if they should use adjusted gross income, the reply was pointing out that you use gross income.

Timeline

I think you missed my point, the OP was asking if they should use adjusted gross income, the reply was pointing out that you use gross income.

Of course, as adjusted gross income would be joint. There's no way to tell what an individual's adjusted gross income would be on a joint return in a two-income household. Adjusted gross is moot in this situation.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

So, would I be ok by providing the information on lines 1 and 3 of my sponsor's W2's for question 23.

and 25 be

Total Income:

2009- number on lines 1 and 3 of W2

2008- number on lines 1 and 3 of W2

2007- number on line 1 and 3 of W2

Thanks for the help!

Timeline

Also, my sponsor has both a 1099 in which his pension shows up and he has a w2, however, he qualifies with just the w2. do I still have to include the 1099?

Use line 1 on the W2 regardless of whether it is the same as 3. Yes, answer questions truthfully. His pension is part of his current income, so add it. You don't leave out income but when income is sufficient, you can leave asset questions blank.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Thank You very much for your help.

I just have one last question. I have never been employed. On question 22 part 6

I am currenty:

I have checked UNEMPLOYED SINCE ______ however, i have left the space after it blank because I have never been employed. Is this ok? I have attached a letter explaining why I have left it blank, which is because I am a full-time student that has not worked and my parents declare me as a dependent.

Again thank you for the help.

Timeline

Of course, as adjusted gross income would be joint. There's no way to tell what an individual's adjusted gross income would be on a joint return in a two-income household. Adjusted gross is moot in this situation.

No need to explain it to me push - I didn't ask the question.

Thank You very much for your help.

I just have one last question. I have never been employed. On question 22 part 6

I am currenty:

I have checked UNEMPLOYED SINCE ______ however, i have left the space after it blank because I have never been employed. Is this ok? I have attached a letter explaining why I have left it blank, which is because I am a full-time student that has not worked and my parents declare me as a dependent.

Again thank you for the help.

Did you put a note on the actual form that you had added an attachment? Don't leave it blank, write in, Never Employed - please see attachment.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

No need to explain it to me push - I didn't ask the question.

Did you put a note on the actual form that you had added an attachment? Don't leave it blank, write in, Never Employed - please see attachment.

Or "Student, never employed" and skip the attachment.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I have the same question on line 25 as Estefani22. But on my joint-sponsor's W-2, the numbers on box 1 and 3 are different. I just spoke to a very mean operator from the NVC who told me to put "gross income". I supposed she meant gross pay on W-2?

I'm very confused... :help:

USCIS

2010-01-20: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

2010-01-27: I-130 NOA 1

2010-03-24: I-130 NOA 2 (e-mail)

I-130 was approved in 56 days from NOA1 date.

NVC

2010-03-30: NVC case number assigned

2010-03-31: Sent OPTIN e-mail and DS-3032

2010-04-02: Received DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill (e-mail)

2010-04-03: Paid AOS Fee online

2010-04-15: Received EP confirmation e-mail

2010-04-27: Sent I-864 package by e-mail

2010-04-27: Paid IV Fee Bill

2010-04-29: Sent DS-230 package by e-mail

2010-05-06: Received RFE for I-864 and self-employment letter

2010-05-08: Resent corrected I-864 and self-employment letter

2010-05-19: Received e-mail from NVC: case complete

Consulate

2010-09-24: Medical examination in Montreal

2010-10-26: Interview- Approved

Timeline

I have the same question on line 25 as Estefani22. But on my joint-sponsor's W-2, the numbers on box 1 and 3 are different. I just spoke to a very mean operator from the NVC who told me to put "gross income". I supposed she meant gross pay on W-2?

I'm very confused... :help:

Already specifically answered in this thread. Use line 1 of the W2 whether it's the same as line 3 or not.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.