6 posts in this topic

Hello, I came here from Tijuana about 5 years ago on a B1/B2 tourist visa. I was 15 at the time, I'm 20 now. Two years ago I met a wonderful, amazing man and we're now married. We're in the process of gathering all the needed info for the AOS application with the help of our lawyer. However, our lawyer isn't familiar with stuff related to school. I'm currently attending a community college, and by this summer I will hopefully have a social security number to work with (we're filing that with the application and hoping that it will take as long as it typically does for this specific lawyer). Will this allow me to apply for the FAFSA? Also, the college I'm transferring to is choosing to classify me as an international student in despite of my having started and graduating high school in here (Idaho). Once I have the SSN, will the school have to reconsider me as a in-state student, or does this vary from school to school? The university in question is Boise State University.

I'm well aware that there may be delays on obtaining permission to work, and I'm hoping that there are none. :)

event.png

free_squirrel_and_acorn_avie_by_cremecake.gif

March 16, 2010- We got married!

AOS

May 04, 2010-Sent I-485 and I-765 on its way

May 08, 2010-Notices of arrival for applications

May 17, 2010- Received Biometrics appointment for June 3rd

June 03, 2010- Biometrics done! also both I-485 and I-765 touched

June 4, 2010- Touch

June 18, 2010- Received interview letter for July 23, 2010 (no touches)

June 23, 2010- Touch on EAD, but not on AOS #######

July 14, 2010- EAD Card production ordered

July 19, 2010-EAD Card production ordered again

July 20, 2010-EAD touch

July 23, 2010-Interview-APPROVED!

July 28, 2010-EAD card arrives in mail

July 30, 2010-Welcome letter in mail

August 5, 2010-Green Card in mail!

ROC

April 23, 2012- Window for ROC application opens

May 14, 2012- Sent packet via USPS with delivery confirmation

May 16, 2012- Packet arrives at Laguna Niguel

June 5, 2012-Check cashed

June 28, 2012-Biometrics done

August 28, 2012-Sent change of address form

December 20, 2012-Green card sent per USCIS

SS Card doesn't make a person a resident of any particular state - each institution has their own requirements for in-state/out-of-state eligibility. You would need to contact them directly (but I seriously doubt the SS card will pull much weight).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

As far as I know, FAFSA is only for US citizens and permanent residents a.k.a green card holders. I applied for the 2009/10 FAFSA as a green card holder with no problems. Maybe you should wait to transfer to your university until you have a SSN and your green card. It will most likely save you a lot of hassles and money in the end.

Unlike community colleges, university are more strict when it comes to in-state/out-of-state/international status. Back in 2005, the community college I attended let me register as an in-state student even though I couldn't provide a green card yet because I was still going through AOS (I did however have a SSN and a military ID card because of my husband being in the Army).

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

x x x I will hopefully have a social security number to work with x x x this allow me to apply for the FAFSA?

Having a SSN is just one of the requirements. You also need to be an "eligible non-citizen" which means you need to show proof of your status.

Eligibility

http://www.fafsa.com...pku3at=aa001001

Nearly every student is eligible for some form of financial aid, including low-interest Federal Stafford and/or parent PLUS loans, regardless of income or circumstances, provided that you:

- are a US citizen, a US national, or an eligible non-citizen;

- have a valid Social Security Number;

- have a high school diploma or GED;

- are registered with the U.S. Selective Service (if you are amale ages 18 to 25);

- complete a FAFSA promising to use any federal aid foreducational purposes;

- do not owe refunds on any federal student grants;

- are not in default on any student loans; and

- have not been found guilty of the sale or possession ofillegal drugs during a period when you received federal student aid.

Will this allow me to apply for the FAFSA? Also, the college I'm transferring to is choosing to classify me as an international student in despite of my having started and graduating high school in here (Idaho).

According to the university website, if you are a "pending" permanent resident, you are considered "International" for admissions purposes.

Who are International Applicants?

http://admissions.boisestate.edu/international/

A foreign national who holds, or intends to hold temporary, non-immigrant visa/status in the USA, suchas F-1, H-4, L-2, etc. or is a 'pending' permanent resident (application forpermanent resident status to BCIS is submitted but not yet adjudicated) in the USA is considered International for admissions purposes.

Once I have the SSN, will the school have to reconsider me as a in-state student, or does this vary from school to school? The university in question is Boise State University.

As Otto und Karin stated, the SSN has no bearing on your residency. Universities usually require one-year residency to avail of in-state tuition. You may want to call the Residency Coordinator.

INITIAL DETERMINATION OF RESIDENCY STATUS

http://registrar.boisestate.edu/residency.shtml

When you apply to Boise State, the university classifies you as either a resident student or a nonresident student based on your application and uses this classification to determine your tuition and fees. For further information, please contact the Admissions Office in the Administration Building, Room 101or at (208) 426-1156. Students can also contact the Residency Coordinator inthe Administration Building, Room 110 or at (208) 426-4249.

Edited by Pinay Wife

Having a SSN is just one of the requirements. You also need to be an "eligible non-citizen" which means you need to show proof of your status.

Eligibility

http://www.fafsa.com...pku3at=aa001001

Nearly every student is eligible for some form of financial aid, including low-interest Federal Stafford and/or parent PLUS loans, regardless of income or circumstances, provided that you:

- are a US citizen, a US national, or an eligible non-citizen;

- have a valid Social Security Number;

- have a high school diploma or GED;

- are registered with the U.S. Selective Service (if you are amale ages 18 to 25);

- complete a FAFSA promising to use any federal aid foreducational purposes;

- do not owe refunds on any federal student grants;

- are not in default on any student loans; and

- have not been found guilty of the sale or possession ofillegal drugs during a period when you received federal student aid.

According to the university website, if you are a "pending" permanent resident, you are considered "International" for admissions purposes.

Who are International Applicants?

http://admissions.boisestate.edu/international/

A foreign national who holds, or intends to hold temporary, non-immigrant visa/status in the USA, suchas F-1, H-4, L-2, etc. or is a 'pending' permanent resident (application forpermanent resident status to BCIS is submitted but not yet adjudicated) in the USA is considered International for admissions purposes.

As Otto und Karin stated, the SSN has no bearing on your residency. Universities usually require one-year residency to avail of in-state tuition. You may want to call the Residency Coordinator.

INITIAL DETERMINATION OF RESIDENCY STATUS

http://registrar.boisestate.edu/residency.shtml

When you apply to Boise State, the university classifies you as either a resident student or a nonresident student based on your application and uses this classification to determine your tuition and fees. For further information, please contact the Admissions Office in the Administration Building, Room 101or at (208) 426-1156. Students can also contact the Residency Coordinator inthe Administration Building, Room 110 or at (208) 426-4249.

Thank you for your helpful post! You certainly obtained a lot more information than I did on my research. Based on this, I think I will probably go part time until I am a cardholder. Going to college while I'm considered an international student would create a HUGE indent on our finances. Yikes. I will still talk to the school, but I think I'll hold on all that stuff until the spring term. Thanks!

EDIT: I also wanted to add that the school has already admitted me, but as an international student.

Edited by squirrely

event.png

free_squirrel_and_acorn_avie_by_cremecake.gif

March 16, 2010- We got married!

AOS

May 04, 2010-Sent I-485 and I-765 on its way

May 08, 2010-Notices of arrival for applications

May 17, 2010- Received Biometrics appointment for June 3rd

June 03, 2010- Biometrics done! also both I-485 and I-765 touched

June 4, 2010- Touch

June 18, 2010- Received interview letter for July 23, 2010 (no touches)

June 23, 2010- Touch on EAD, but not on AOS #######

July 14, 2010- EAD Card production ordered

July 19, 2010-EAD Card production ordered again

July 20, 2010-EAD touch

July 23, 2010-Interview-APPROVED!

July 28, 2010-EAD card arrives in mail

July 30, 2010-Welcome letter in mail

August 5, 2010-Green Card in mail!

ROC

April 23, 2012- Window for ROC application opens

May 14, 2012- Sent packet via USPS with delivery confirmation

May 16, 2012- Packet arrives at Laguna Niguel

June 5, 2012-Check cashed

June 28, 2012-Biometrics done

August 28, 2012-Sent change of address form

December 20, 2012-Green card sent per USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.