Moonligh

Approved I-212 --- Now what?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi There,

I received a letter (i-272) approved I-212 the other day. All it mentioned was I need to present this letter each time I apply for addmission at a US port of entry. (No Timeline- or any further info) . I have no criminal record, But I got a removal order in my absence (I had already moved back to Canada before overstaying my visa but unfortunately I didn't inform USCIS, stupid of me thinking they will know when I crossed the border) making long story short, judge bared me (in my absence) from re-entering USA for 10 years!!!! I am thinking of hiring a lawyer and appeal my case. But meanwhile my application I-212 waiver got approved . Now my question is : Do u guys know how long it is good for? and if I want to cross the border do I need any other documents? Where should I contact to get this information before crossing the border.

Thanx alot!

P.S. If anyone knows any good Immigration lawyer located in Vancouver in regards to my removal order , I'll be gratefulllll

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hi There,

I received a letter (i-272) approved I-212 the other day. All it mentioned was I need to present this letter each time I apply for addmission at a US port of entry. (No Timeline- or any further info) . I have no criminal record, But I got a removal order in my absence (I had already moved back to Canada before overstaying my visa but unfortunately I didn't inform USCIS, stupid of me thinking they will know when I crossed the border) making long story short, judge bared me (in my absence) from re-entering USA for 10 years!!!! I am thinking of hiring a lawyer and appeal my case. But meanwhile my application I-212 waiver got approved . Now my question is : Do u guys know how long it is good for? and if I want to cross the border do I need any other documents? Where should I contact to get this information before crossing the border.

Thanx alot!

P.S. If anyone knows any good Immigration lawyer located in Vancouver in regards to my removal order , I'll be gratefulllll

Not sure what you are asking. If the I212 is approved you should be able to apply to re-enter. Is this for an immigrant VISA or a non-immigrant Visa that you want to come here?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The 212 affectively appeals the deportation order. . .it would be a waste of time and money to go through court proceedings. The 212 is a permanent waiver. . .though it seems odd that it would be approved without some type of immigrant visa. What type of entry are you seeking?

Timeline

Hi

Thanx for the reply. I just like to be able to enter as a visitor. I live in Vancouver and have been since 2006 (way before my green Card got expired). When I received the approved letter I-212 it doesn't mention how long it is valid for. Do I need to re-new it every year for 10 years? If so it might be cheaper just to hire a lawyer and appeal the removal order, don't you think?

I am going to visit Seattle in a week or so.

Timeline

This is my story:

I found out in June 2009 that I am under removal order which was done in my absence (in Oct 2008) when I tried to enter US border and that I have been barred to enter for 10 years!

I entered US (California) in Sept 2005 through K1 visa (Fiancé) and married a US citizen in Oct 2005 and got a temp Green Card but the marriage didn’t work out, so I filed for divorce in Oct 2006 and went back to Vancouver, Canada and been living here ever since(I can prove with work history and apt purchase ...) . I never received any letter from Immigration office since they have been sending it to my old address in California (which my Ex still lived there); therefore I never attended my court hearing. Also when I crossed the border in Sept 2008 for a visit the US officer at the border never mentioned anything about the open proceedings and pending removal order case in the court. She just asked for my expired Green Card which I didn’t have it with me at that time, so she asked me to bring it next time I cross the border and that was it. So u can imagine my surprise when I was going to go on an Alaska Cruise a week ago and they didn’t let me. I have never stayed in US illegally. I left when my Green Card was still valid.

I applied for I-212 waiver in June 2009, and was granted one in Feb 2010. It didn’t mention in the letter how long my waiver is valid for.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The I-212 is a permanent waiver. If I were you, I would not try to enter without a visa, because of the old immigrant intent. Also, if any officer ever gives you trouble, remember the words, "I would like to withdraw my application for admission." Do not let it proceed to an expedited removal. . .always have proof of your intent to return to Canada if you travel to the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.