lovelyalex

Another driving license question

13 posts in this topic

Okay, first of all, I am sorry for any duplication but I can't find anything concrete to back this up and I can't get through to my DMV offices: local and the specific one for non residents in Concord (I'm in NH) THEY NEVER ANSWER THEIR PHONE AND MY LOCAL OFFICE ARE IDIOTS AND KEEP REFERRING ME TO CONCORD but I can't get there during the day at the moment.

I am trying to find it written somewhere, other than from people telling me, that I can drive on my (full) UK driving license for upto a year before I have to get my local NH one.

I am happy to drive, and really need to get out and about before I go mad. I am insured on my MILs car (and I would have thought that this would have been a problem in doing if it wasn't allowed) but don't want to go out without knowing for sure that I am okay, in case I get pulled over.

I obviously have both my paper and photocard license from the UK, with no convictions or tickets.

In NH you don't need a learners permit, but if I am to go and get my license, I have to get out and practice before I go upto Concord (an hour away!).

If anyone can share with me a link that I can read and print etc, I'll be most grateful. The UK embassy website has information for US drivers in the UK, both resident and tourists, but the US embassy one only really mentions tourists and hire cars.

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Since you can only drive on an out-of-state license in NH for 60 days after you have moved there, I can't imagine why you would be able to drive on a foreign license for 1 year. If you are living in NH, you are a resident.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Other Timeline

He's a resident, once he's a resident. He's a resident once it has been formally established -- a.k.a. as documented -- that he's a resident. Once he has that documentation -- most likely in form of a Green Card -- he has 60 days to get his NH driver license thing going.

Until his residency has been established, he is a visitor, transitioning to resident. Visitors from other countries are expected to use the driving license of their respective country.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

He's a resident, once he's a resident. He's a resident once it has been formally established -- a.k.a. as documented -- that he's a resident. Once he has that documentation -- most likely in form of a Green Card -- he has 60 days to get his NH driver license thing going.

Until his residency has been established, he is a visitor, transitioning to resident. Visitors from other countries are expected to use the driving license of their respective country.

Of course. Using that as a guide, he has 39 days left on the clock since he received his GC on 3/9.

Bollocks. I wonder why other people keep telling me otherwise.

Thanks for your help. I am good to practice with someone in the car in the meantime, I just need to chase up the DMV in Concord to ask if I can swap over my existing license (which I think you can do in Mass) or if I have to take it all again (I only need to know this because I have to find a babysitter if I have to do the latter).

Our journey:

ps, I'm a she! ;)

Our journey:

Timeline

They likely don't understand how this works or they don't care. I've seen both types on this issue. I personally know a couple people who continue to drive on their foreign DL even though their state requires them to obtain a state license to legally drive. Their logic: if I don't get caught it doesn't matter & I have insurance anyway. A ticket is not the biggest concern. Just because they "have insurance" doesn't mean the insurance company will pay out if they wreck their car or injure/kill someone while driving. I suspect the insurance company would not pay out any claims if the driver of the car is not legally licensed.

ps, I'm a she! ;)

Oops! My apologies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

because the 1949 Geneva Convention on Driving Licenses to which the USA is a signatory says so. The problem is most States either don't know the US is part of that agreement of choose to ignore it. Oregon is one that allows for it and I used my UK license for nearly three months and not the 30 day rule for someone moving to Oregon from another State. The Convention allows for someone residing in a signatory country to be classed as a non resident for driving license purposes until they have been in the country for more than one year. As I've said most States don't abide by it and unless you fancy a long expensive Court case and appeals to prove a point, you really need to abide by what you State DMV says. Another source who usually know the State policy will be the State Police.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Each state has its own way of determining what constitutes residency. And in NH, it is as follows:

TITLE I

THE STATE AND ITS GOVERNMENT

CHAPTER 21

STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION

21:6 Resident; Inhabitant. – A resident or inhabitant or both of this state and of any city, town or other political subdivision of this state shall be a person who is domiciled or has a place of abode or both in this state and in any city, town or other political subdivision of this state, and who has, through all of his actions, demonstrated a current intent to designate that place of abode as his principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others.

Applying for AOS would be a demonstration of a current intent to designate that place of abode as your principal place of physical residence, surely? I'd argue that for the sake of licensing requirements, you'd be considered already resident and have been since you filed your AOS paperwork.

NH cops are known for being absolute bastards about out-of-state/ resident licensing requirements. So much for "Live Free Or Die" lol.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

oops, clicked submit too many times! lol, sorry

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline

Applying for AOS would be a demonstration of a current intent to designate that place of abode as your principal place of physical residence, surely? I'd argue that for the sake of licensing requirements, you'd be considered already resident and have been since you filed your AOS paperwork.

Also a good point. With this in mind, it may be wise to cease driving activities entirely until you obtain a learner's permit or a full DL.

well in NH you dont need a learners permit! So I am fine on those grounds, as long as I have a licensed driver over 20something in the car with me.

I'm going to try and get upto Concord before 1st March +60 days and see if we can sort this out asap

Our journey:

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Once you officially move to any state in the US the department of licensing requires you to get your new license with in thirty days other wise if you are caught you will be fine…your license is good for rental vehicles and vehicles not registered in your name, however if you plan on purchasing any autos they will require you at that time to get a new drivers license or a International license. :thumbs:

Edited by ltly68

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.