Jeff and Tatiana

Adj Status, city & country of Birth Question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone! Well it has been great so far.. the Wedding is done, things are rolling right along and I am trying to fill out all this paperwork for the ADJ Status. I have a quick question for those that may have done this before. In the forms where it requests:

City and Country of Birth

She was born in Kerch, Crimea, Ukraine. Yet, during the time of the birth, it was USSR, not Ukraine! So what do I put down? Do I just put what the place is currently? Kerch, Ukraine? Or do I put what it was at the time of the birth? Kerch, Crimea, USSR. ??

Any thoughts? I don't want to confuse things and I am looking over her Fiance' Visa paperwork now, seems I put the Kerch, Ukraine on them. So should I just go with that?

Additionally, in the section for Father and Mother on the Biographic information (G-325A) it asks for Family name, well as you know in Russia the father is not known the same way as the daughters. Ahh, maybe I am just over thinking this and just put in what his name is. Neznaeva is her's so his would be Neznaev. So just put Neznaev? Hmmm.. yeah probably over thinking it.

Anyway, let me know what you think and if you have had experience with this situation.

Thanks!

Jeff & Tanya

Edited by Jeff and Tatiana

I found her in March 08'

We met in December 08'

NOA1 on 31 March 09'

NOA2 on 28 Aug 09'

Interview 18 Nov 09' (Administrative Review)

Visa Approved!! 15 Dec 09'

Tatiana Arrives! 12 Jan 10'

Married 2 Mar 10'

Green Card Received 10 July 10'

Lifting Conditions Filed 25 April 12'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Kerch, Ukraine

As far as father's name: Neznaev would be correct.

Edited by Мартышк+Мартышка

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone! Well it has been great so far.. the Wedding is done, things are rolling right along and I am trying to fill out all this paperwork for the ADJ Status. I have a quick question for those that may have done this before. In the forms where it requests:

Congratulations!

She was born in Kerch, Crimea, Ukraine. Yet, during the time of the birth, it was USSR, not Ukraine! So what do I put down? Do I just put what the place is currently? Kerch, Ukraine? Or do I put what it was at the time of the birth? Kerch, Crimea, USSR. ??

She was born in the USSR, so put USSR. Always use what's on the birth certificate, even if that city, district, or country no longer exists. Just make it match the birth certificate.

Additionally, in the section for Father and Mother on the Biographic information (G-325A) it asks for Family name, well as you know in Russia the father is not known the same way as the daughters. Ahh, maybe I am just over thinking this and just put in what his name is. Neznaeva is her's so his would be Neznaev. So just put Neznaev? Hmmm.. yeah probably over thinking it.

Yes, you are over-thinking it. :) Put down his real name, Neznaev. Don't get creative. :)

Timeline

Congratulations!

She was born in the USSR, so put USSR. Always use what's on the birth certificate, even if that city, district, or country no longer exists. Just make it match the birth certificate.

Yes, you are over-thinking it. :) Put down his real name, Neznaev. Don't get creative. :)

Thanks!

I had a feeling I was getting too creative. hehe.

Jeff & Tanya

I found her in March 08'

We met in December 08'

NOA1 on 31 March 09'

NOA2 on 28 Aug 09'

Married 2 Mar 10'

Timeline

Mox, the thing is - Ukraine/Russia/Belarus/etc is fine to be put on there.

In my greencard it always said: Ukraine. My passport says Ukraine too (place of birth). Even though I was born in USSR.

When we filled our I-129F we wrote Ukraine for Daria as well, even though her birth certificate says Ukranian SSR

US recognizes that USSR no longer exists so putting a name of a sovereign country/then republic is fine.

I also agree with you that putting USSR won't hurt. It's either or basically.

I just suggested putting Ukraine because on their I-129F they put Ukraine

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Timeline

In all likelihood, you're probably right in that it doesn't matter one way or the other, and I've never heard of anybody getting an RFE or running into any trouble by using "Russia" or "Ukraine" instead of "USSR." But it seems to me (backed up by a lot of discussion here on VJ) that putting "Ukraine" when her birth certificate says "USSR" is a sort of benign revisionist history. I do agree that putting the current country is almost definitely not going to cause a problem. However, using the information from the birth certificate leaves no uncertainty at all.

Timeline

In all likelihood, you're probably right in that it doesn't matter one way or the other, and I've never heard of anybody getting an RFE or running into any trouble by using "Russia" or "Ukraine" instead of "USSR." But it seems to me (backed up by a lot of discussion here on VJ) that putting "Ukraine" when her birth certificate says "USSR" is a sort of benign revisionist history. I do agree that putting the current country is almost definitely not going to cause a problem. However, using the information from the birth certificate leaves no uncertainty at all.

We put Leningrad, USSR as the birth city because that's what her passport and birth certificate say. I guess considering that there are different answers and no one has gotten any flak about it, it probably doesn't matter.

As far as names, you are definitely over-thinking it. It asks for her father's name. There is no requirement that her father have the same last name, even remotely. Considering anyone even remotely familiar with Russian culture understands an extra "A" at the end just means a different gender, you shouldn't have any problems.

Edited by SMR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife was born in Kyrgyzstan and I am quite sure I wrote that down, but her green card came through with USSR as country of birth. Don't worry so much, just get the paper work in and everything will be fine.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

Thank you again to everyone and the discussion helped me decide. I think for now I am going with the birth certificate. And also thanks for the thoughts on the father's name. I had a feeling I was over thinking it. I can't wait to get this paperwork in and have the good ole' government machine start rolling. She is getting rather bored at home, so working is one of the big things she wants to do. Something about "contributing" to expenses. Hmmm what a novel idea. :)

Jeff & Tanya

I found her in March 08'

We met in December 08'

NOA1 on 31 March 09'

NOA2 on 28 Aug 09'

Married 2 Mar 10'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You put down the city and country in existence at the time of her birth. We put down USSR for Alla's birth country.

Any thoughts? I don't want to confuse things and I am looking over her Fiance' Visa paperwork now, seems I put the Kerch, Ukraine on them. So should I just go with that?

Yes, that is how it is done. Alla's last name and little Leonid's last name differ by an a at the end of hers.

Anyway, let me know what you think and if you have had experience with this situation.

Thanks!

Jeff & Tanya

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Thanks!

Jeff & Tanya

You are correct about her father's name. Enter his name as it was. It was what it was. I entered Alla's country of birth as "Ukraine SSR" which is what her birth certificate says. Also acceptable would be "Ukraine" or "USSR"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

working is one of the big things she wants to do. Something about "contributing" to expenses. Hmmm what a novel idea.

I'm going to print this out and show it to my wife. My wife was born in USSR and it says "USSR" on her green card. Her father's name is different than hers. I'm also pretty sure you have to put mama's maiden name on there somewhere, and that's going to be different as well. No worries.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.