Eric-Pris

How do you know if your tourist visa is multiple-entry?

4 posts in this topic

I read that 6 month visas are usually single entry, but if the visa expiration is 10 years, it's usually a multiple-entry.

The key word is usually. How do you know for sure? Is there something on the visa that says so?

Another question: if a person with a multiple-entry tourist visa came to the US from their home country (#1), stayed 2 weeks, then visited another country (#2) (other than Mexico and Canada) for 2 weeks, would they be able to return to the US again before they went back to their home country (#1).

Would they just get a new I-94 the second time, since they had to turn in the original I-94 when they went to country #2?

Thank you

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I read that 6 month visas are usually single entry, but if the visa expiration is 10 years, it's usually a multiple-entry.

The key word is usually. How do you know for sure? Is there something on the visa that says so?

Another question: if a person with a multiple-entry tourist visa came to the US from their home country (#1), stayed 2 weeks, then visited another country (#2) (other than Mexico and Canada) for 2 weeks, would they be able to return to the US again before they went back to their home country (#1).

Would they just get a new I-94 the second time, since they had to turn in the original I-94 when they went to country #2?

Thank you

I've never seen a US tourist visa, but if it's printed on the same kind of sticker and has the same general format as a K-1 visa, then it should be pretty clear. The K-1 has a field of information on it that pretty clearly says "Entries: 1", signifying that this is a single entry visa. When I PoE'd, my border officer circled the number in red pen and drew an arrow connecting it to the K-1 entry stamp he placed on the facing page :)

I would think that when re-entering the US on a multiple entry visa, the specific country you are entering from should be irrelevant. CBP doesn't care where non-US citizens and LPRs spend their time when they're not in the US.

As you say, they would have to hand in their I-94 each time they leave, and yes, they would get a new one each time they entered. Not handing back the I-94 would significantly complicate this, because it would seriously confuse their records as to exactly when you had been in the US, and for how long. But as long as you returned the I-94 upon leaving, each new entry should generate a new I-94 smoothly with no complications.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you

Near the bottom right hand corner of the photo there is a word that says "Entries", directly below that is usually an "M" which stands for "multiple", sometimes it is a "1" and sometimes it is a "2" or some other number. If it says "M", then it is a multiple entry visa.

As far as visiting another country. Your I-94 is (usually) valid for 6 months and on the I-94 it probably says "multiple entry". That means you can use it up until the expiration date on the I-94 regardless if you remain in the US or if you travel to a 3rd country. If you fly to this 3rd country, the airlines will usually take the I-94 out of your passport and so if you come back to the US after your visit to the 3rd country then, yes, you will need a new I-94. However, some people have had success in explaining to the airline representative that you intend to return to the US and would appreciate it if they would not take the I-94 since it is still valid.

Near the bottom right hand corner of the photo there is a word that says "Entries", directly below that is usually an "M" which stands for "multiple", sometimes it is a "1" and sometimes it is a "2" or some other number. If it says "M", then it is a multiple entry visa.

As far as visiting another country. Your I-94 is (usually) valid for 6 months and on the I-94 it probably says "multiple entry". That means you can use it up until the expiration date on the I-94 regardless if you remain in the US or if you travel to a 3rd country. If you fly to this 3rd country, the airlines will usually take the I-94 out of your passport and so if you come back to the US after your visit to the 3rd country then, yes, you will need a new I-94. However, some people have had success in explaining to the airline representative that you intend to return to the US and would appreciate it if they would not take the I-94 since it is still valid.

Good explanation ! :thumbs:

My B2 visa was issued in February 2009 and it was a multiple one valid until the year 2014, so all together 5 years !

as1cHpz0g410600MzAwNzg3OWx8MjM3NjYxc3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.